Random St. Louis

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
The moorlands:
Nice photo tour of the homes facing Lafayette Park, by Serhii Chrucky:

https://serhii-chrucky.squarespace.com/ ... tte-square
That is nice. He's got some other incredible stuff on his site, too. The photos of the St. John's Abbey church are stunning. Seems his site is well worth wandering around a while and taking in.
^ These are incredible. Thanks for posting! I might have to take my camera down to Benton Park and Soulard this weekend and capture something similar. It's amazing how much wider range a dSLR has than a cell phone camera (image quality aside).

Also, since we're here, here's one of my favorites that I've taken. Yes, coincidentally this file name is actually DSC_0314

ImageDSC_0314 by Alex Price, on Flickr
^ great shot... look forward to seeing more!
framer wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 pm
Nice photo tour of the homes facing Lafayette Park, by Serhii Chrucky:

https://serhii-chrucky.squarespace.com/ ... tte-square
thanks for resurrecting this thread!
That's a great shot Aprice. :) Love it! Looking forward to more. I hope the park trips are productive.

I'm inclined to think cell phone cameras and DSLRs each have strengths and weaknesses. I shoot a bit more with the SLR still, but maybe not by much anymore. The biggest differences might be focal length and aperture anymore. If I had a decent wide angle lens for my SLR . . . (Or a good telephoto for my phone.) And of course there's a wide range in both quality and price to both. (Might be a somewhat bigger range to quality on the phone side, but there's sure a bigger range to price on the SLR side. I just need to quit looking at eBay.) But in the end, it's mostly what you do with it. My best shot with my cheapest camera is worlds better than my worst (in focus and properly exposed) shot with my best.
So I got to do some exploring around MoBot in the snow yesterday. If you've not been, give it a shot - it's an entirely different type of beatiful - a great way to see something familiar in a new light.

These are just from the mobile phone and there's been absolutely zero post-processing. I do have some camera shots as well but haven't been able to upload any of those yet.

I never realized that it's a straight shot from the south entrance of the Linnean House to the front door of the Tower Grove house. (Digitally-zoomed-in) proof:

If I get any good shots out of the camera I'll post them here as a follow up.

-RBB
Lovely stuff! And yeah, it really is a straight shot. And I expect that's no accident. I believe all the major landscaping elements in that vista date to Shaw's life, save the lilly ponds. Which replaced earlier gardens or ponds along the more or less verbatim. Not completely certain about the rose garden, but it is the older and more traditional of the two. (And that certainly feels like an element of Victorian landscaping.)

Anyway, thank you! :)