A New St. Louis Gov't- Metro City

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post1080 posts
^ agreed 100%. And it's not just Central Corridor that's been seeing remarkable change the past few years.

^^ Jbsbcott, I hear what you're saying about frustration with population growth, etc., but a place like Indianapolis is a perfect example of population growth being only one factor, and at time's a vastly over-rated one imo, of a city or region's overall health. For example, poverty there has climbed greatly since 2000 while we have held steady; STL City by itself has a significantly lower poverty rate than what's in the Indianapolis Public School District (which more or less serves the "old city") and it's not too much higher than the rate for that entire city; when we add in the STL County's low poverty rate you begin to see how poor Indy really is. And we also blow it out of the water on college grads, etc. But you'll never hear that song from the Better Together Chorus.

I agree with your comments on re-entering the city into the county.
Another merger-skeptical article: https://www.stlmag.com/history/what-st- ... t-divorce/.

The more and more I think about it, the more I am against this BT-style merger. Merging in this fashion as a metro city seems almost like a bailout for the County. Sure the City isn't doing so well today or in recent history but the County at this point is basically in decline, with people in the metro area moving to either St. Louis City or St. Charles County. Sure it'll make us "competitive" on paper, which perception-wise would reap dividends, but I'm inclined to think that emulating Indianapolis or Louisville (as well as the annex-happy Sunbelt cities) in such a fashion will just be a sprawl-promoting race to the bottom.
Nextstl - Op-Ed: Is Merger the State’s Business?

https://nextstl.com/2019/03/is-merger-t ... -business/
San Diego has about as many ppl as Metro City would.

KPBS- Pro-Density Urbanists Sweep Uptown Planners Election

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2019/mar/06/d ... y-housing/
jbacott wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 am
bprop wrote: My left foot was broken in an accident. I haven't gotten around all that well since. I'm going to shoot myself in the right foot to see if that helps.
I think the more apt analogy for St. Louis would be: my left foot was broken in an accident. I haven't gotten around all that well since. I'll keep walking on it and hopefully it will just heal itself

I appreciate that the bulk of this group pays attention and has an educated perspective on the region unlike a lot of people whose knee-jerk reaction is to dump on the city because KMOV's nightly news told them to.

But even the most optimistic of St. Louisans is fooling themselves if they don't think this city as a whole is lagging behind other metros. It's even more dramatic when you focus on only the city. There is no growth, crime remains high, poverty in the city was at 20% in 2017 which is 8% higher than the national average (it drops below markets like Indy and Louisville only when you factor in St. Louis County and St. Charles County). Frankly, the fact that Indy and Louisville are considered peer cities despite having over a million less people is kind of depressing in itself.

St. Louis certainly has some good things going for it, but in areas like tech, start-ups, development, etc. where we all celebrate the progress we've made, the list of major metros that can't match or exceed STL in each of those is pretty short. Part of my day job is keeping tabs on cities like Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, Indy (albeit primarily as it relates to real estate development) and it's sort of demoralizing at times when comparing them to your home city. No most of those are not realistic peers, but it's pretty stark to compare STL to the the cities that continue to pass us in the MSA population rankings.

I'm not necessarily sold on BT and their "take a sledgehammer to it all" strategy, but I tend to agree that when it fails (i have no expectation that it will pass based on current reaction and 100 years of history) we'll all be disappointed if we expect a strategic, ideal plan to be right behind it. The most realistic method would probably be incremental changes with the County, be it joining as a municipality, continued efforts on collaborations, consolidation of small municipalities in the city so there are less hands in the cookie jar, etc.
Well said!

And while some here want to paint me as a "nay-sayer" (LOL) I couldn't be more thrilled with the improvements and new development that have been popping up all over St. Louis. I think my participation on this forum can speak to that, in addition to my social media posts (if anyone feels like stalking me haha). Believe it or not, and I know certain people here won't, I deeply care about this city/region and and am quite a big St. Louis booster (just ask my friends and family how annoyed they get anytime I bring it up). I haven't been this excited about what I see in STL in years. I'm just able to admit STL has serious systemic issues that aren't going to be fixed by little nips and tucks here and there (like a re-entry only plan). I love St. Louis, but anyone who thinks all these new developments and strengthening neighborhoods are going to survive as the region continues to lose population and economic clout has their head in the sand. If St. Louis is going to sustain these rebounding areas and shiny new developments it's going to have to convince people, jobs, and companies to start moving back. It hasn't done that yet and I don't see any indication from area leaders that there's really any attempt at doing so. BT was founded in 2013. They've been releasing data, reports and information since then. We only just got the details of the plan, but their intentions have been known for the better part of 6 years...and yet no action or suggestions from the Muni League or anyone else who opposes BT. Sorry, but that's not a good look, if these people truly cared about moving St. Louis forward they would have been ready...with something, anything. They weren't. And that speaks volumes to me.

Bring on the slap.