Where in St. Louis am I?

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
First unread post635 posts
Let's try this:

framer wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am
Let's try this:

The Beaumont Telephone building on Locust
You got it, Chris. I wanted to show the awesome stained glass window on Locust, but that would have been a dead give-away (I wonder if that window will end up in someone's loft after the rehab).

^My guess would eb a loft would have that window.

Now what about this one...

Hmmm...at first I thought that was the Manhattan Mews on Laclede, but the details don't match up.
I believe that's Bob Cassilly's old place on Lafayette just west of Jefferson where he used to make all his old faux terra cotta.
West Cabanne wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:06 am
I believe that's Bob Cassilly's old place on Lafayette just west of Jefferson where he used to make all his old faux terra cotta.
I never knew it was Bob Cassilly's place but you are correct.
That explains why I thought of Manhattan Mews, which was one of Cassily's projects many years ago.

^ I did not know Cassilly was involved in the Manhattan Mews but it makes sense!

Anyway, I'm going to try and steal the next photo drop - where in St. Louis am I?
On Charless in McKinley Heights near Indiana Ave, in view of Jefferson Undergound in the far background.
^ You got it!
Where am I?

Grant Medical Clinic!!

Apologies for the orientation. But anyone want to guess where I took this disappointing refection selfie?

IMG_20160406_193024366 by Alex Price, on Flickr
I love the Grant Clinic. Based on it's prime location, I expect before too long there will be proposals to tear it down and build something bigger.

I actually think Grant Clinic is pretty safe. It's significance is pretty well known. If it's not already protected by the city, it could easy be NRHP and City Landmark worthy.
aprice wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:31 pm
I actually think Grant Clinic is pretty safe. It's significance is pretty well known. If it's not already protected by the city, it could easy be NRHP and City Landmark worthy.
Isn't still occupied?
Yes, it's occupied. It was quite busy with people coming and going when I stopped by to get some pics the other day. It's just a small building on a large lot in a popular area, which makes me paranoid about it's future.
aprice wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Apologies for the orientation. But anyone want to guess where I took this disappointing refection selfie?

IMG_20160406_193024366 by Alex Price, on Flickr
I think we need some hints on this one.
framer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 pm
Sorry about that! It's on the other side of these doors. I'd love to take my dSLR and get this that ceiling photo again during a good crowd. Getting this photo again with my dSRL would be nice too.

IMG_20171004_180425219 (1) by Alex Price, on Flickr
aprice wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 am
framer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 pm
Sorry about that! It's on the other side of these doors. I'd love to take my dSLR and get this that ceiling photo again during a good crowd. Getting this photo again with my dSRL would be nice too.

IMG_20171004_180425219 (1) by Alex Price, on Flickr
The Fox Theater. As to where at inside, my guess would be the lobby somewhere.
Damn, I was thinking about taking a shot in the dark and saying it was the Fox Theatre late last night when browsing the thread again. The exotic Byzantine-esque motifs on the ceiling is what had me thinking it was the Fox, since I don't know of a whole lot of places with ceiling designs quite that intricate.

Come to think of it, I really wish there were more places in STL built Neo-Byzantine besides the Cathedral Basilica.
While it's true the Fox does have some somewhat Byzantinesque things going on (mixed in with a hodge-podge of all manner of other west and south Asian motifs) I'm not sure I'd have ever noticed them in that little bit of box entry ceiling. In fact, I'm quite sure I didn't. That said . . . it's hard to argue with Fabulous.
Yes, it's the vestibule ceiling.
I have a distinct memory from seeing Wicked there when I was 14. The vestibule was packed and I looked up at my reflection in the ceiling. It was a bit of an artsy moment. Like a shot in a movie where someone is standing still on a crowded Manhattan sidewalk as people rush past her/him, camera zooming out. I love that building dearly.

Anyway, someone else's turn.
Where am I?

I didn't expect this one to be so tough. Yes, the cemetery is tiny, and tucked away out of view, but the building is fairly prominent. Maybe this view will help: