Sticky -- Introduce Yourself

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post539 posts
Welcome Positron. Hope you enjoy. There's neat information to be had here and some decent folks to meet. :)
I also realize I never introduced myself here: recent transplant from the East Coast. Originally from Europe where I have lived most of my life. Spent 7 years in New York City (Manhattan, then Brooklyn) and moved to St Louis last summer for work. We have lived in dense urban environments all our life and hate the suburbs, so moving to the City was a no brainer. It was a close call with the Central West End, but we ended up moving to Soulard and really like it here.
My six-month first-thought assessment is that crime, general lack of public safety, and the lack of transparency regarding city management and budget really hold the city back, as it has so much potential to become a vibrant urban area.
It's been good seeing you about and you've been a welcome addition to our community. I hope you feel at least as welcome in physical Soulard. I've never lived there, but it is a pretty area and I've generally enjoyed my visits very much.
kipfilet wrote: My six-month first-thought assessment is that crime, general lack of public safety, and the lack of transparency regarding city management and budget really hold the city back, as it has so much potential to become a vibrant urban area.
Would you think it's reasonable to guess that quite a lot of that is the result of abandonment? I feel this is a bit off topic for a simple welcome thread, so I don't want to go into at length here, but if you feel like discussing it at greater length somewhere else on the board, tag me. I'll post my full response.

Anyway . . . welcome!
symphonicpoet wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 am
It's been good seeing you about and you've been a welcome addition to our community. I hope you feel at least as welcome in physical Soulard. I've never lived there, but it is a pretty area and I've generally enjoyed my visits very much.
kipfilet wrote: My six-month first-thought assessment is that crime, general lack of public safety, and the lack of transparency regarding city management and budget really hold the city back, as it has so much potential to become a vibrant urban area.
Would you think it's reasonable to guess that quite a lot of that is the result of abandonment? I feel this is a bit off topic for a simple welcome thread, so I don't want to go into at length here, but if you feel like discussing it at greater length somewhere else on the board, tag me. I'll post my full response.

Anyway . . . welcome!
Thank you!
Thank you very much, everyone! Thank you all for the warm welcome!
Devon wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:50 pm
Hey guys!

Pretty new to the forum. I'm Devon. I moved here to St. Louis from Toronto around one year ago. I currently live in The Grove.

Excited to contribute to the forum!
positron wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:11 pm
Greetings all! South City resident here. I've been on this forum few times but never register. So I figured I may as well.
Welcome to the forum as well, Devon and positron! From a fellow newbie.
Hey I'm Dylan. Late to the intro but I thought I'd say hello.

I'm an architecture student at KU, born and raised in STL area.

Just started DrawingStl. Follow me on Twitter for drawings, models, and ideas regarding the future of St. Louis.
^Welcome Dylan, and good luck! As you say, you've been here a while now, but I've enjoyed your contribution. Glad to have you here.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to your site? Would love to peruse some of your work.
Hello All,

I'm sorry I'm late to introduce myself to everyone. I've been posting on the Transportation board for about a month.

I'm a St. Louis gal, with an M.B.A. from SLU and a secondary, master's level work, in English, from UMSL. I teach Business and English/Business Communications classes at several area colleges/universities.

I'm interested in knowing about all things St. Louis and I enjoy hearing insider info that I can share with my students.

Thanks for all for adding me to the group!
I think I might have said something along these lines over in the transportation threads, but welcome aboard! I've really enjoyed your contributions, and particularly your pictures back in C. Thank you for joining us. :)
I didn't even know this was a thread.

I'm Jason, The Mayor is a SimCity 4 thing for those that don't know. No, I'm not Lyda, as at least one member here once accused lol. Born and bred in St. Louis County, lived in KC for close to 12 years now. Got hooked on St. Louis City by my dad's parents, his dad grew up in Chouteau's Landing by St. Mary's of Victories, and his mom in Dogtown (met on a streetcar) and both were very sure I got the history as I grew up. I love all things St. Louis and have been following STL development pretty much since I left and I do have plans to return soon as my corporate office is located there.

I really got into St. Louis history and architecture when I discovered www.builtstlouis.net (an amazing resource!) and I really started following St. Louis development on NextSTL. But it's really slowed down over there lately (and the comment sections are damn near stltoday-lite) so I decided to finally join up here. Just thought I'd pop in and say how much I love this community. So much great information and knowledge. Everyone is very civil and well spoken. Just an all around great group, even if we sometimes disagree...looking at that Metro City thread ;). Anyway, appreciate all of you welcoming me to the discussion.
Glad to have you here. On all the threads. And I look forward to more about your dad growing up in Chouteau's landing. I didn't realize people had lived there since the nineteenth century! Okay, maybe you're dad is/was rather older than I might have guessed. There were certainly houses there once. But wow, it's been a long time. Anyway . . . welcome! (Even though you've been here a while.)
symphonicpoet wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:03 pm
Glad to have you here. On all the threads. And I look forward to more about your dad growing up in Chouteau's landing. I didn't realize people had lived there since the nineteenth century! Okay, maybe you're dad is/was rather older than I might have guessed. There were certainly houses there once. But wow, it's been a long time. Anyway . . . welcome! (Even though you've been here a while.)
Thanks! And it was my granddad not my dad. However, my dad was born on the second floor of a corner grocery somewhere in South St. Louis and 2 years later they moved to North County. Anyway, and I don't want to get too far off topic here but I do love telling this story, my grandfather and his other 5 brothers and sisters were born in the city and spent their formative years at the corner of 3rd and Gratiot. The nuns from St. Mary of Victories used to pull my grandpa and his brothers out of bed to serve mass way back in the day. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but eventually the home was demolished and they moved out. Then up at the corner of 4th and Gratiot, my grandfathers grandfather owned a barber shop in the corner building. That building does still survive today and I believe it's some sort of a bar...which is fitting if you knew my family's history ;). I attached a few pics if you're interested in seeing the building before it was demoed.

Here it is during the construction of the 3rd Street Viaduct, the building is to the right of the entrance to the church. The statute of Mary on the facade is now on a pedestal on the corner of 3rd and Gratiot.

Here's a view looking south down 3rd:

And then this is the old barber shop at 4th and Gratiot (red brick building on the right edge), I actually stood in the middle of 4th Street while grandpa stood on the sidewalk and watched for traffic while I took this one lol:

Anyway that's a brief history of my dad's side of the family's early days in the City. My grandfather passed away last year sadly, but his life and memories will always live on in the City. In fact, to this day, much of the sidewalk around St. Mary's is aggregate material but there is one old concrete square left...and on it you can find my grandpa's initials he scratched in there over 50 years ago.
Oh, what we've lost. :( I suppose I wouldn't have thought of the strip of fourth as Chouteau's Landing, but without the highway it makes sense. On the other hand I never encountered the term Chouteau's Landing at all until the late 90s when someone or other started talking about redeveloping it as a loft district. (Lord, the missed opportunities.)

Gorgeous photographs.