Iron Hill at Grand & Chouteau

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
The anticipation is killing me.
^ I'll pee my pants if it includes a Google office and urban Target.
^ I'd prefer the Target Downtown. Wouldn't balk at it here, though, granted the parking is underground or something. If I see a parking garage pop up here after all this time, I'm about done. Lol.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:11 am
The anticipation is killing me.
You'll have to wait just a little bit longer. :D
STLrainbow wrote: ^ I'll pee my pants if it includes a Google office and urban Target.
Besides a City Target (which I am sure won't happen), what other types of usages would you like to see here? In addition to that question, what type of special features, design elements and other things you would like to see here?
Hopefully this project has some financing and anchor tenants behind it. Fearful of three partially developed projects in Foundry, Armory and now Prospect Yards pretty much competing for the same commercial and retail tenants. Don't want to be debbie downer but like to see two developments kicking off their next phases, infill vs a third development coming on the scene only to leave the other two with empty lots & renderings of wisha, coulda, would have.

Agree with Target downtown, especially if Square lands in the PD building and a tenant anchor is found for ATT building and maybe you got the confidence for Jeff Arms & Railway Exchange to happen. Heck, target on Railway Exchange ground floor seems like a great fit.
dredger wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:54 pm
Hopefully this project has some financing and anchor tenants behind it. Fearful of three partially developed projects in Foundry, Armory and now Prospect Yards pretty much competing for the same commercial and retail tenants. Don't want to be debbie downer but like to see two developments kicking off their next phases, infill vs a third development coming on the scene only to leave the other two with empty lots & renderings of wisha, coulda, would have.
Well, the developer of this has a reputation of getting things done. One of their projects in St. Louis has come out close to the initial renderings even though it took a while to be built out.

As for the other projects all competing, City Foundry Phase 1 is practically full on the office side of things with retail space filling up. A Phase 2 will definitely come once Phase 1 nears completion. So I see no problem there. Phase 2 of the Armory will be residential, hotel and retail space and based upon how things are going, that will definitely happen. I think the Grand and Chouteau project will only help the other two in being successful as each of the developments are geared towards very specific things (companies and people).

Long story short without revealing too much, all 3 will be built with maybe some tweaking in design to accommodate more uses in all 3. Not saying they will be tweaked just don't be surprised if they do and if they do, it will be to accommodate more office space.
I'd like to see lots of residences with the least amount of parking. Some affordable units. Build in Papin to Spring. Not one huge building. Enhance walkability to the Grand Metrolink station and to the Grove. Don't have blank walls along Grand and Chouteau. No slip lane from Grand to Chouteau
I think a Trader Joe’s could do well in this area with the close proximity of the university, new hospital very hot neighborhood rehabs etc would be a draw if the project is done right.
Dark horse could be demographics but heck if Whole Foods and IKEA can be done then I don’t see why a Trader Joe’s couldn’t succeed
quincunx wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:47 am
I'd like to see lots of residences with the least amount of parking. Some affordable units. Build in Papin to Spring. Not one huge building. Enhance walkability to the Grand Metrolink station and to the Grove. Don't have blank walls along Grand and Chouteau. No slip lane from Grand to Chouteau
You'll find out more Wednesday morning, but it seems like you'll be getting a majority of these, only parking will be your pet peeve about this. 6/8 things you would like to see are met here.
^ I guess, yes, we will hopefully find out Wednesday.

A general question for everyone though; isn't it feasible to bury at least some of the parking, especially when you have a pretty blank slate like we have here? I'm sure the cost goes up. I would also hope Roddy would be included in this; doesn't he have a history of trying to push form base codes in the Grove? To be fair though, the most visibly apparent addition so far at the new SLU hospital site is a parking garage..
goat314 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Is this the proposed bridge concept?

Anymore on this project. It's been really under the radar.
That's most likely a part of the proposed Chouteau Greenway. However if this and the other developers in this area could partner up with GRG, I don't see any reason why it couldn't happen.
Joe Roddy is teasing this too. Once again, plans will be made public tomorrow morning, most likely around 9AM.

https://twitter.com/JoeRoddy/status/1105510803170607104
Just heard on news four that the announcement is at 5:30 tomorrow morning? Maybe I heard it wrong
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:14 pm
Just heard on news four that the announcement is at 5:30 tomorrow morning? Maybe I heard it wrong
You heard it right but two people I messaged close to the development said that "that is odd" since a press release wasn't supposed to go out until after 7 AM.
Moderators will want to change the name of the thread to "Iron Hill - Grand & Chouteau".

I guess I'll give a few beans relating to this project.
- A parking garage will be partially below the surface along Gratiot. Some buildings will be partially built on top of said garage.
- The name is "Iron Hill".
- Adequately addresses Grand as well as Chouteau.
- No turning slips.
- Will be fairly dense.
  • Cortex is currently 1.95 Million SF over 200 acres = 9,750SF per acre or .22 FAR (Floor area ratio).
  • CityFoundry is 338,000SF over 10 acres = 20,000SF per acre or .46 FAR.
  • BPV is 360,000SF over 10 acres or .83 FAR.
  • Grand and Chouteau will be 1.39 FAR.
INTRODUCING the project. There are other renderings but waiting for them to be shared. This project will feature...
  • Two residential towers
  • Two office buildings
  • A hotel
  • 4 smaller (2 floor) buildings in the center with a floor of apartments and one retail.
  • Green space
  • Parking garage
As stated in the above post, this is dense when the FAR is brought into the picture. While some of you may have wanted something denser, this is what was ideal for the site per SLU's request and redevelopment plan.

STORY: https://www.cityscene-stl.com/news/iron ... d-chouteau

Like it don't love it.

Reminds me of the Highlands, just more modern.

The central promenade is a giant waste of space. It will likely go underutilized by everyone who isn't homeless.

Zig zagy street grid is gimmicky and serves no real functin other than making people feel like they are driving through faux urban development the streets across from the galleria.

Rendering appears to show a massive parking lot on the north side of the project.
Without getting into the actual design, I genuinely hope this project succeeds but....

Is there actual demand for this office/retail/food space?

Among The Foundry, Armory and now this new midtown project - all with retail and food, and all in close proximity - how much $ do developers think SLU students have?

At the same time, it seems the office space is set to poach, not grow. (For instance, which downtown law firm moves here or to the Richmond Heights tower?)

Most importantly, aren't all of these developments getting significant tax support? Be a whole different story if this was all private $, but it's not.
Looks like this story crashed the site for a bit there.

Looks pretty good to me, really digging all of the peripheral future project renderings. Particularly interested in the fate of the large singular retail space in the North-East building. Does have the makings of a grocery store or TARGET.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:45 am
Looks like this story crashed the site for a bit there.

Looks pretty good to me, really digging all of the peripheral future project renderings. Particularly interested in the fate of the large singular retail space in the North-East building. Does have the makings of a grocery store or TARGET.
If it's my story that crashed then yes, the traffic is remarkable at this point. Hopefully, the others who wrote about it are getting viewers too.

I think they are pushing for a grocery store or Target in that retail space. You can see it in the site plan below.

Other renderings...
BellaVilla wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:26 am
Rendering appears to show a massive parking lot on the north side of the project.
See the site plan. It's the top level of a 3-floor parking garage that goes below grade on the backside of the project. While it's a shame it's needed, at least it will be slightly concealed.
More residential would be nice. 21.4 units per acre. My house is 11.6
Why are straight streets so hard for developers?
Too much open space.
Noticed two small details that may have larger context. Both in the site plan.
1. Notice the separated cycle track on Grand. Also noticeable that the Spring Street bike/ped bridge is not included.
2. Far left there are what appear to be tennis courts. This may follow the previous rumors about Rex's vision for a tennis facility.

I am taking this all with a grain of salt, but this wasn't a guessing game for the developer. There were a lot of design meetings with Chouteau Greenway, SLU, and other developers to create this proposal. Therefore, I think it could be telling that certain Chouteau Greenway components aren't shown and that random tennis courts are. Also, I think the lack of residential is highlighting the role greenstreet played alongside SLU in developing the specifics. If they're about to develop 2 or 3 residential towers across the tracks, they were probably pretty clear that they didn't want many more units.
About 800 spaces in the garage?
I like it. It's pretty awesome, actually. It's also very ambitious; let's hope they can get it done.