Iron Hill at Grand & Chouteau

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
I thought I would make a new thread since the announcement of the Grand and Chouteau project is expected this year. I know about the project in full so I won't spill the beans here till an official announcement by the SLU, the Developer and/or a news website. What I can say is...
- Mixed use project.
- A developer you have heard of (or may have seen in the news).
- Will be an anchor for this part of Midtown.
- Infrastructure improvements.

From what I know, an announcement is pending final revisons to the design and a definite timeline but I know that the developer's desire is to break ground in 2020.
^ I will take the speculative stab at who the developer and go with Clayco/Clark's development group for which I can't think of the name for the live of me. My choice comes down to process of elimination when you consider that Koman has a Cortex site under development, Lawrence Group is behind the Foundry as well as the recent Midtown development, Green Streets has the Armory development and Midas group is now behind two hotels already under construction.

So my speculation comes down to Clayco/Bob Clark looking for a new opportunity after entertaining a spec office development in the county off I-270 not too long ago as well as making offer on ATT One center after dropping the first and bond holders not thinking the price was good enough on the later. So running with the idea that Clayco's development company is behind this.

Or I can completely be off base... and its a family that paid for SLU's arena. But glad its not a soccer stadium
dredger wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 am
^ I will take the speculative stab at who the developer and go with Clayco/Clark's development group for which I can't think of the name for the live of me. My choice comes down to process of elimination when you consider that Koman has a Cortex site under development, Lawrence Group is behind the Foundry as well as the recent Midtown development, Green Streets has the Armory development and Midas group is now behind two hotels already under construction.

So my speculation comes down to Clayco/Bob Clark looking for a new opportunity after entertaining a spec office development in the county off I-270 not too long ago as well as making offer on ATT One center after dropping the first and bond holders not thinking the price was good enough on the later. So running with the idea that Clayco's development company is behind this.

Or I can completely be off base... and its a family that paid for SLU's arena. But glad its not a soccer stadium
You are thinking of Clayco Real Estate Group. CRG for short. You'll find out soon enough whether your guess is right or wrong. :D
Awesome news. I of course want to hear more details and hope it really transforms that intersection.

Out of curiosity, has there been any discussion of Captain D's/Rally's? I feel like if SLU or another developer were able to acquire those parcels, it could go a long way towards connecting Steelcoate, etc. to Grand, and this development to Armory, Armory to Foundry.

Really exciting to see how far this stretch of Grand will be changed. While I miss the Pevely complex, change is inevitable, and I'd rather have all of this new construction over a couple of historic buildings.
My complete, uneducated, stab in the dark guess is that somehow Richard Chaifetz will be involved. I could see him funding a venture or medical start up incubator or an office location for one of his organizations or those that they have major investments in.
I don’t believe the developer has an connection to SLU or Chaifetz. They responded to the RFP and won.
When will this be announced. What type of scale are we talking? Any tenants in mind? Is the proposal legitimately urban? Something like what was proposed at Jefferson and Chouteau would be awesome.
^ I'm also curious if this involves the SW corner/old Pevely site or just the NW corner (which will have amazing north-facing panoramic views of the Central Corridor).
^ I was thinking about that too...I have a sneaking suspicion that SLU/SSM holds on to the SW corner for a bit for any potential hospital expansion, but who knows.
Is this the entire area around the intersection? Or just a corner....possibly the northwest corner?
I was told that his development has connections to Sexy Rexy.
^Hmmm...if true, I'd love to see him establish a new art museum on the site. He's big into art (particularily American Regionalism), and has quite a collection of his own.

Pure wishful thinking on my part, but you never know.

Riverfront, by Joe Jones, Sinquefield collection:

Null
Null
Some more info...
  • Will be "high density"
  • The focus will be on pedestrians rather than cars in the heart of development
  • The developer is trying to work out a deal with Greenstreet, Great Rivers and Bi-State, for a pedway bridge over the train tracks that connect to the Armory, Metro Station and City Foundry so all of these developments can be seamlessly connected with the rest of the region and with each other
That's all for now.
Well, those are all great things.

Is there only going to be one response to the RFP made public, if you know or can say? Any idea when this proposal, or all the proposals might, if they will be, made public?

The pedway sounds great, but that also seems like a really long walk. Has there ever been talks of condensing the rail yards? I'm not sure if that's realistic, but it could also open up more space for development and less of a massive scar separating the CBD and south city.

Thanks, also, for posting these updates!
bwcrow1s wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:48 am
Well, those are all great things.

Is there only going to be one response to the RFP made public, if you know or can say? Any idea when this proposal, or all the proposals might, if they will be, made public?

The pedway sounds great, but that also seems like a really long walk. Has there ever been talks of condensing the rail yards? I'm not sure if that's realistic, but it could also open up more space for development and less of a massive scar separating the CBD and south city.

Thanks, also, for posting these updates!
First bold: Only the winning proposal will be unveiled. Why unveil the losing proposals when it could cause a potential headache for SLU and the Midtown Redevelopment Corporation when people start asking, "why was this one or this one not chosen"? I was told the plans will be released to the public upon final design refinements being made along with a definite timeline for construction. I wasn't made aware of what the current status is of the design process but was told the public will get their first look, "in the coming weeks". Depending on how people read that, it could mean a few weeks or into the summer. My source doesn't want to give too much (renderings and architecture firm) out because it will still be a surprise to me, but I know of other aspects of it that I can't say.

Second bold: I'm not sure it is realistic to condense the rail lines. You have TRRA, UP and BNSF all converging around here.
Just out of curiosity, does the plan involve First Student or Corrigan contractors getting out? Those two giant parking lots cry out for something higher use.
stlhistory wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 pm
Just out of curiosity, does the plan involve First Student or Corrigan contractors getting out? Those two giant parking lots cry out for something higher use.
Can't say since I wasn't told. I would hope First Student, Corrigan and some other lots nearby are included but I don't think the developer would want to spend more than they already have to.
Teasers gonna tease...

In all honesty, when the time comes, I am assuming you'll all like the project.
Hope they extend Papin to Spring. You know build "city"
Looks like the Chouteau corridor is gonna be the next hot spot.
framer wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm
Looks like the Chouteau corridor is gonna be the next hot spot.
I could see that happening. With this, Steelcote Square and Jefferson/Chouteau, surely there will have to be more developments

Is this the proposed bridge concept?

Anymore on this project. It's been really under the radar.
goat314 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Is this the proposed bridge concept?

Anymore on this project. It's been really under the radar.
It depends on where you got this rendering. There have been a few concepts for the Greenway connecting to this area in particular form that design competition a few years ago.

You'll hear more on this project very soon!