5540 Fyler

Discuss renovations and new residential construction in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
A new apartment building is planned for a T shaped lot on Fyler by the St. Louis Fire Department Credit Union. Alderman Vacarro wasn’t made aware of this but a $2 Million building permit was applied for.
^Why am I doing the construction thread? Man, you are all over this! Do they need approval? Are there any renderings? Torn on whether to add this one to the plans yet.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:56 am
^Why am I doing the construction thread? Man, you are all over this! Do they need approval? Are there any renderings? Torn on whether to add this one to the plans yet.
I know about this from neighborhood rumblings. I used to live in this neighborhood and my former neighbors know I like this stuff so they sent me information and they are all worried that a hearing won't happen (it will after I contacted
Alderman Vaccaro). Christopher McNulty (developer) still needs approval and won't get it until neighborhood approves among other things. No renderings yet.
that area is basically a suburb. it's embarrassingly sparse for a city, actually. teeny-tiny little single-family homes each with its own driveway and massive yard. i'm sure the neighbors and the alderman will fight anything that's not single family homes with giant yards. again, this is why we need a city-wide form-based code. Vaccaro and the neighbors should have no say in this apart from minor aesthetic choices and impact on public infrastructure (sidewalks, curb cuts, etc.).
urban_dilettante wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:54 am
that area is basically a suburb. it's embarrassingly sparse for a city, actually. teeny-tiny little single-family homes each with its own driveway and massive yard. i'm sure the neighbors and the alderman will fight anything that's not single family homes with giant yards. again, this is why we need a city-wide form-based code. Vaccaro and the neighbors should have no say in this apart from minor aesthetic choices and impact on public infrastructure (sidewalks, curb cuts, etc.).
Compelled to make an account to respond to this. North Hampton suffers from suburban development along Hampton and Kingshighway, but no more than Tower Grove South does the same along Kingshighway (TGS's border region arguably worse with more light industrial). Population density is middle of the road for STL (https://statisticalatlas.com/neighborho ... Population) and just below TGS, significantly denser than Skinky-D. As far as driveways/curb cuts for homes/apts, they are few and far between from Hampton to Kingshighway and Flyer to Chippewa, the bulk of the neighbhorhood. Multi-families, primarily duplexes and 4-flats, occupy most lots east of Brannon. There are some larger apartment buildings along Hereford with retail/office spaces. I have lived here more than a decade and have yet to come across a "giant yard." Vacancy is probably under 3%. One of STL's public gifted schools is within the boundaries and another just outside of it. Some walkable retail within the neighborhood (not including the border streets), but tenants have had trouble making it (after Tropicana left, no one has been able to sustain in that spot; pizza man Kevin's Place has apparently been making pizza on occasion for the last couple of months). One of the City's safest neighborhoods and still affordable.

I don't know anything about this development (I also wrote to Vaccaro after I saw this). I want more people to live in our City and our neighborhood. This is a bizarre lot, set in the middle of a city block surrounded to the south, east and west by single-family homes and to the north by a warehouse and a credit union. The lot is narrow for a development of at least $2 million. Personally, I would welcome a 3-story apartment building that occupied the warehouse spot (also a corner union hall that I believe is vacant) and put parking where the proposed lot is. I agree we should have a form-based code throughout the CIty. I do not agree that "neighbors should have no say in this." Isn't that exactly what you are doing?
Neighbors should ALWAYS have a say in what's built in their neighborhood. Maybe not the FINAL say, but their input definitely matters.
NHampton wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Compelled to make an account to respond to this...
Looking east and west along Fyler from 5540. This is exurban level density in the middle of the city. It's embarrassing and completely antithetical to the purpose of a city.

NHampton wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm
I agree we should have a form-based code throughout the CIty. I do not agree that "neighbors should have no say in this." Isn't that exactly what you are doing?
The entire purpose of a form-based code is to take decisions like this out of the hands of NIMBYs and put them into the hands of professionals. A good form-based code is not going to replace single-family neighborhoods with skyscrapers or incinerators, but it's going to allow for the transition to higher density and mixed, affordable, equitable housing, which low-density home owners commonly fight tooth and nail. Wanna know why St. Louis has such a dearth of walkable commercial districts compared to other cities--even peer cities like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New Orleans, etc? This is why.
It's zoned A. Single Family so the neighborhood would get its say
I will be strongly supporting this at any occasion possible. ^I agree with NHampton's comments regarding the neighborhood as a whole, but this block specifically fits the description as stated in UrbanDillettante's post. This stretch of Fyler is brutal. It would be phenomenal to get a decent multi family development on this lot. Barring an atrocious rendering, this would add residents and density to a block that would benefit from it and I will be aggressively in favor of moving this forward.