St. Louis Transit Photos

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
framer wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 pm
^The stadium drawing wasn't a lark; that was an early conceptual design. I guess you could call it Post Modern Deco:
Huh! Well, I suppose they had to get it somewhere. Adds fuel to the "I wonder if that drawing is earlier than 1998" fire.
danke0 wrote: Took the train to Kansas City over the weekend and didn't realize it was being pulled by one of the new Siemens Chargers until we arrived. OK, so this pic was taken in KC. This locomotive was in St. Louis earlier, I swear.
Nice! Saw that train or one very much like it pulling through the Grand interlocking this evening as I brought my wife home from school. It's good to see a little more passenger rail traffic and new locomotives are always a welcome change.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 pm
Adds fuel to the "I wonder if that drawing is earlier than 1998" fire.
I think you might be right SP. The reason I thought that map was from '98-'01 is because it includes the East Terminal (which didn't open until '98) but not the St. Clair County extension (which opened in '01). But.... maybe the East Terminal inclusion was a projection of some sort. I can't remember how early the East terminal and corresponding station were planned/anticipated. That could put the map toward the very beginning of Metrolink in '93-'94.

Unrelated, here's a great STL transit shot for so many reasons:
That is a nice shot! :)
Can't get enough of instances where the transit service today is leaps and bounds better than it has ever been:

1950:

Today (although photo probably from '06):
the south side of the 2100 block of Olive today: https://goo.gl/maps/zANes5ix3xr

the south side of the 2100 block of Olive circa 1904-1906:

View of streetcar tracks under construction on the 2100 block of Olive Street. View is of south side of street. The first streetcar company began in 1859 on Olive and grew rapidly. In 1891 the city had 25 streetcar lines: 5 horse-drawn, 5 cable, and 15 electric. By 1894 it was estimated that nearly 100 million passengers used city streetcars every year. By the end of the 1940’s the streetcar era was drawing to a close as more and more lines were shut down in favor of buses.
http://mohistory.org/collections/item/resource:141732

this place is awful.
Since I might, possibly, have one or two newish transit photos I thought I'd post my transit photos here.

(That's the hallway leading to the Metrolink Station. You have to pass Metrolink ticket machines to get here. That counts, right? Nothing else down here, save for some windows and maybe a soda machine, I think.)

Anyway . . .

^Oh nice! That one belongs on a WRHS calendar, assuming it hasn't already been there.
wabash wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Another - albeit all too rare - example of St. Louis mass/public transit infrastructure being vastly improved today over what it was in the past:

With apologies for quoting myself: Same deal with this one, which is a few blocks west of the above: