Good job KC!

Discuss new retail, dining, business, residential projects, or urban affairs in the areas of Missouri outside Metro St. Louis.
First unread post414 posts
Hadn't seen this posted yet.

Drury plans a 242-room hotel near KC's City Hall

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... -hall.html

Does this increase or hamper the chances of the Drury tower on the Landing? Or unrelated?
bwcrow1s wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:02 am
Hadn't seen this posted yet.

Drury plans a 242-room hotel near KC's City Hall

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... -hall.html

Does this increase or hamper the chances of the Drury tower on the Landing? Or unrelated?
Completely unrelated to the Laclede's Landing project. I know Drury is waiting to see how the Peper Lofts and that other conversion goes for residential on the landing till they unveil their vision. I wish the design was more Urban though.
The new KC Airport renderings were just finalized and released. The airport has got to be one of the most underwhelming and blah (ugly) airport designs I have ever seen. WTH? This is what 1.4 billion bucks buys? Sad! It is now opening end of 2022 and almost 12 months behind schedule ( and will most likely not open until 2023 realistically). The only feature of the original design that was unique was the center falling fountain in the check-in hall and it has been nixed (due to "installation issues). Now that area will be a lower ceiling area with skylights and a "performance space".

If I was getting this is KC, I would be furious and embarrassed. But, this is what the KC council / gov't. picked.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 05495.html

https://fox4kc.com/2018/08/16/aviation- ... c-airport/
Yeah, looks pretty bad. As one of the KC commenters said, it looks like the big-box-store of airports. Fortunately, nobody will be able to see the terminal because it's hidden behind the massive parking garage.
ldai_phs wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 pm
2 Important Points.

1. This is not the final design. The design is still far from being finalized.

2. A fountain in the central area of the head house is a logistical nightmare. This was the reason for its removal in the city council presentation today.

3. These renderings are really just trying to show massing and passenger flow.
Let me put it this way... the initial plans went from mediocre to worse. This IS the airport KC is getting and it is really ashame, ugly to say the least.

As for final plans... 2 weeks is the timeline....
according to KCUR and SOM;

"SOM hopes to finalize the concept designed by the end of August so they can present a package to the airlines for budget approval.

There will also be a project review with The Transportation Security Administration in the first week of September." August 16, KCUR

Nothing is going to get better in 2 weeks.

What's worse is the timeline and the amount of money this is costing. unbelievable.

The place looks like a mall from 1980.

THE STRUCTURE DESIGN IS DONE. NOW KC PUBLIC WILL HAVE SEPTMEMBER TO GO TO 5 MEETINGS. THEIR INPUT WILL BE INTERIOR AND PARKING GARAGE COLORS AND BATHROOM DESIGNS. :o :lol:

The news also said council members believe the biggest excitement the public will have is about the toilets and the public can weigh in on those and colors for the parking garage in the next few weeks.

From a practical standpoint, travelers should be pleased to learn Edgemoor has included double the number of bathrooms (130) compared with the current set-up (63) after the security gate.

We can have individuals go in and talk to the designers and say okay, I see that you've got this bathroom set up this way. Have you thought about x, y and z? I think people are really going to love having that sort of interaction," Councilwoman Jolie Justus said.

Other details, such as color schemes for the parking garage and other minutiae, also could change as the project continues to evolve during the next four years before a planned opening." KSHB August 16

Every media outlet is touting that the public should be excited about more bathrooms. Those things should be like the fricken Taj Mahal at this price.

This place is a joke and so sadly so for KC.
You know what's really funny? SOM shows absolutely none of the new renderings on their website. (I also find it funny they DO have prominent renderings of Saarinen's Dulles ticketing hall. Okay, they added bays to each end. They made it longer. But . . . it's still fundamentally not an SOM design. And sure, every architect does that. And I actually have a fair amount of respect for SOM. They know their stuff. Better than most of the "starchitects" out there these days.)

But back to KCI. Yeah, the exterior is, meh, hidden behind a garage and a lot less interesting than it was. But 1.4 billion is probably not a terrible price tag. Keep in mind, this includes all the fueling system, drainage, taxiway, and ramp improvements. All the site work. Should be all the demo too. Not just the underwhelming terminal.

And the interior spaces aren't that bad. They're typical contemporary small airport. Kind of like T2. They're no worse from what I can see than any American airside I can think of. Small, but . . . That's what it's supposed to be. If we built new we'd get little better. We're really quite lucky to have what we do. And as bland as that new terminal is, it'll probably be a better place to wait airside than what they have now. What do my KC friends complain about most at KCI? . . .

The bathrooms.

I actually like the current landside, but I've never been airside there, so I can't really speak to that. I'll trust that it's probably as grim as the locals say it is.

To compare the prices I googled around a little on the three airports they used for comparisons. Those feel about right, actually. Similar sizes. All newer and ground up clean-build terminals. I'm just looking at pictures and street-views as I've not been to any of them, but I've been to enough airports I think I can at least guess.

Adjusted for inflation the Indianapolis midfield terminal was 1.3 billion. Same idea, more or less, but I think without the demolition aspect. It's a little prettier from the outside, but about the same size, nearly identical configuration (especially when you look at the original SOM proposal), and also very much buried behind a giant parking garage.

The new terminal at Ralleigh-Durham was cheaper at an inflation adjusted 650 million. And that is on the site of something they had to knock down. So maybe there's a way to save money. I'd say it's a bit better, but it's nothing special either. That probaboly comes down mostly to taste. And it's also utterly dwarfed by a mammoth parking structure and completely invisible until you're pretty well on top of it. From the pictures on Google it's not too bad, but . . . I wouldn't trade for it.

Next up is Southwest Florida. Dear lord does that look like a mall. Worse yet, it looks like a 60s mall that got an 80s facelift, complete with linoleum tile and awful acoustic tile drop ceilings. It supposedly opened in 2005 but the layout looks more or less identical to Lambert's . . . in 1960. Three concourses in the same places. Three checkpoints. And from the pictures on Google the airside looks like LaGuardia's terminal B. Seriously. And this? It cost 580 million in current dollars, which, again, probably doesn't include demo. There was an older terminal, but it was way the heck on the other side of the runway. I can't imagine the demo was a part of the bid. I'd take KCI as it stands now over that. Unmodified. Untouched. Sure. It's cheap. And it looks it. The new KCI should be way the heck better than that.

And Lambert is vastly better still. There are apparently a lot of really mediocre and underwhelming airports out there. We're just accustomed to flying through the big kids. Lambert now, though old, is better than any of the other medium hub airports perhaps precisely because it isn't really a medium hub airport. It's landmark grade starchitect stuff. (At least T1, anyway.) Kind of like Dulles. (Which didn't work until later firms like SOM fixed it.) Or T5 at JFK. (Which never worked and couldn't be fixed, which is why it's about to be a hotel.)

Anyway, I don't want to say the KCI terminal is great. Or that it really should be buried in a cornfield behind a sea of parking. But that's more or less the way it's done these days. And flawed as it is it should work better than what they've got. And it actually isn't that ugly. At least there's no acoustic tile.
As long as it is functional that is all that really matters. Airlines don't care about how an airport looks and travelers really shouldn't either. Some of the busiest airports in the country are ugly. The fountain idea was dumb from the beginning. That space could be used a lot more wisely than to be blocking people trying to get in and out of the airport. The currently MCI is horrible so this is an improvement. It reminds me a little bit of Love or Hobby. Nothing special but it does the job. As long as you have plenty of places for people to eat, sit, and use the bathroom then you are doing your job. No reason to spend extra money on fluff.

T2 here isn't anything special but it is functional, which is why Southwest filters so many people through here. I have never been looking to take a trip and said, "Well I would go there but I am not because their airport is ugly." If I am going to go somewhere I am going to go regardless. The current MCI isn't functional so this is a big step up. If it is blocked by a parking garage because it makes it easier to use then even better, now people can park closer. If given the choice to park closer to the gate or be further away so people can see the airport (which is in the middle of nowhere to begin with), I would guess most would say park closer.
^What jshank said.

To be honest, even though I'm an aviation enthusiast, it's rare that I pick a routing because of the airport. (I do sometimes. Once in a while. Always nice to see a new one.) But I can't think of any airport so bad I'd avoid it or any so good I'd really go out of my way to go there a second time. (Okay, if the old TWA flight center were still open as an airport at JFK I'd go there again. But that one was special. I have regrets regarding my one trip through that one that I wish to heck I could fix. Oh well.)
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:46 pm
^What jshank said.

To be honest, even though I'm an aviation enthusiast, it's rare that I pick a routing because of the airport. (I do sometimes. Once in a while. Always nice to see a new one.) But I can't think of any airport so bad I'd avoid it or any so good I'd really go out of my way to go there a second time. (Okay, if the old TWA flight center were still open as an airport at JFK I'd go there again. But that one was special. I have regrets regarding my one trip through that one that I wish to heck I could fix. Oh well.)
I'll 100% try to avoid the current MCI. It just is too much of a nightmare for a layover at the moment.
New York I will try to avoid but it is more just the delays, nothing to do with the airports themselves.

Besides that I will go wherever the layover route is the shortest time.

KC had the largest employment growth rate in the Midwest last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The gutting of DST Systems and what it means for Kansas City."
https://www.thepitchkc.com/news/feature ... ty-company

DST was largely based in Downtown Kansas City and were, up to their purchase, one of the greatest things to happen Downtown in decades. They stayed and invested when everyone else was fleeing to the KS suburbs. They sold land back at cost to the city to grease developments like P&L, Sprint Center, Quality Hill and the Downtown Library. They were front and center in Downtown's revitalization for many, many years.

This all appears to be over. Layoffs this year are rumored to number around 1,000 (essentially wiping out any employment gains Downtown KC has seen over the last few years) with more layoffs to come up and through December of this year. It appears the new ownership has no real desire to maintain any of it's civic relations in the Kansas City area. A 20 year employee of DST imagines that eventually the company will be broken up and sold off in parts.

This article says DST was one of the largest locally owned companies in KC, I find that hard to believe considering they only employed a paltry 5,000 or so here at it's peak. If we see similar layoffs with the Sprint/T-Mobile merger I would expect this city's already very weak corporate culture to get even sadder.
"Sprint, T-Mobile merger means 28,000 jobs lost, including 4,500 at HQs, union claims"
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 05805.html

This appears to be a Union estimate so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it won't be this bad, but I don't think anyone over here has ever realistically thought Sprint was going to fare ok in this.
This is all sad-making and frustrating stuff. I really wish there were a better place to put this, but KC folks surely have my sympathy on this one. I understand the suffering and the sting. (As I'm sure does anyone that's been in St. Louis long enough. Lord knows we've surely been there. Often.) The small upshot, if there is one, is that I'm beginning to really believe we can pull past that and get better, so I've no doubt KC can as well.
Thought I would share two more projects on here that recently came out along with something outside of KC but in their Metropolitan area.

Drury Hotel in Downtown
Information: This project will replace the Mid Century Board of Education building for a suburban hotel design with a large parking garage in the back. DaveKCMO on the KCRag said that
Apparently the first Drury proposal was to remodel the building, then they came back with this.
. This project is angering many in KC especially since Drury unveiled, and is ready to begin construction, on as beautifully designed Downtown hotel in Nashville.
Story: https://cityscenekc.com/drury-wants-to- ... ith-hotel/
RENDERING:

LaQuinta Hotel in Beacon Hill
Information: The project got under construction today and includes a 4 floor building with 92 rooms. There is retail space in this project and the main building is right up against Troost. This is on the Southeast border of Downtown
Story: https://cityscenekc.com/growing-beacon- ... el-to-mix/
RENDERING:

OUTSIDE THE CITY...
Hard Rock Hotel in Edwardsville
Information:
The 231-room hotel with a meeting space will be at the Village South development at 110th and I-70, said Jon Monson, a developer who is part of the ownership group. The hotel’s anticipated completion date is in 2020. Village South is just to the south of the Village West development.
STORY: http://wyandottedaily.com/hard-rock-hot ... ardsville/
RENDERING (crummy):
Icelandair has had an average 82% load from KC. IIRC, that is above their system average load. Per JM, they are considering an expanded schedule next year.
Icelandair is officially expanding service to KC.
You got to follow through posts with credible sources.

This article says (posted 72 hours ago) that Iceland will resume regular seasonal service to KC next summer. It did not say "expanded" service. It is good news that they will resume the same service as 2018.

https://centreforaviation.com/news/icel ... 019-837786
matguy70 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:16 pm
You got to follow through posts with credible sources.

This article says (posted 72 hours ago) that Iceland will resume regular seasonal service to KC next summer. It did not say "expanded" service. It is good news that they will resume the same service as 2018.

https://centreforaviation.com/news/icel ... 019-837786
My apologizes. Per an Icelandair filing found on Routesonline "Summer seasonal service resumes in 2019 with the addition of 4th weekly flight." Flights will now leave closer to 9pm and arrive around 10am. Flights will depart now on Sunday's, Monday's, Tuesday's, and a Friday's. Additionally, the planes will no longer spend the night at KCI.
This news came out along with the news that Icelandair would redo their banking structure on Thursday evening, after your article was published.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-06sep18/

Justin Meyer has said that more changes are possible with a final schedule being locked in around November.

Drawings of 1800 Walnut. A new mixed use building planned for the Crossroads
A $63 Million "ultra-luxury" hotel is planned near the Kauffman Center and the currently under construction Loews Hotel .It is also near the convention center. The 13 floor building will be the most luxurious in the city according to CitySceneKC. The project will add 145 rooms to the ever growing Crossroads region of KC. This also adds to the Crossroad's growing skyline. Personally, I think the design needs to be refined.

THE STORY: https://cityscenekc.com/ultra-luxury-63 ... an-center/

RENDERINGS...
From May 29th...

A $114 Million project would restore the old Muehlebach Hotel into 117 apartments, the old Kansas City Club Building into a 144 room upscale hotel and the construction of a new 70,000 square foot office building, with parking, facing Barney Allis Plaza. this office building would have a parking garage at it's base and would serve the other two buildings mentioned here. The garage will have 360 spaces and the office building is 7 floors. The office/garage will replace a old parking garage and parking lot. The City Club project could be complete next year and the office building in 2020. No timeline has been given for the Muehlebach project. The developer is Platform Ventures. They say they are using the success of Corrigan Station to build a new office building in Downtown KC.
STORY: https://cityscenekc.com/proposed-office ... lis-plaza/
RENDERINGS

Per KCRAG, downtown KC's long rumored speculative office tower should be announced in the near term. Downtown Activist and Streetcar Board Member ,Dave Johnson, has confirmed that this project is moving forward at the site of "HR Block Tower 2". This is a surprise to some as a Cordish employee leaked earlier this year that they were looking into developing a hotel on that site.

This is the site located in Power and Light.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0981598 ... a=!3m1!1e3
ldai_phs wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm
Per KCRAG, downtown KC's long rumored speculative office tower should be announced in the near term. Downtown Activist and Streetcar Board Member ,Dave Johnson, has confirmed that this project is moving forward at the site of "HR Block Tower 2". This is a surprise to some as a Cordish employee leaked earlier this year that they were looking into developing a hotel on that site.
We won't know till it happens.