Board of Aldermen

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
First unread post485 posts
From Lyda Krewson's Twitter:
In Nov 2012 - 79,0xx people voted to reduce the Bd of Aldermen to 14. I was a primary sponsor of the effort then… and I have not changed my mind.

Government Fragmentation prevents us from coming together on big opportunities and issues. I can’t support a ‘do-over’ .
STLhistoryBuff wrote:Sharon Tyus is pure scum. I can't believe the racist sh*t she was spewing. "Let's reduce the aldermen, but keep all the black aldermen and get rid of all of the white aldermen". Disgusting.
Where did she say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
downtown2007 wrote:
STLhistoryBuff wrote:Sharon Tyus is pure scum. I can't believe the racist sh*t she was spewing. "Let's reduce the aldermen, but keep all the black aldermen and get rid of all of the white aldermen". Disgusting.
Where did she say that?

2 hours 46 minutes in

100% agree with STLhistoryBuff, jbacott, rencelas. Everyone reaches their limit and this appears to be it. Watched nearly all of the BoA debate and feel both disgusted and more concerning, hopeless. There's no hope. Even if bill is vetoed this won't be the end. We have until 2020/21 -- plenty of time for more politics (lawsuits...?)

It is so much easier to move than to deal with this dysfunction.

Over and over and over again it is stated on this site that the ultimate end-game is some type of regional government. Fragmentation was cited as an issue in Ferguson report, etc. It isn't a cure-all but a merger and reduction in municipalities would be huge step in the right direct.

Whats happening with BoA is microcosm of what will need to play out all over the region in next ___ years (decades)?

Hopeless.
How the heck is this becoming a "white vs. black" debate?! Absolutely terrible that progress can't be made with open discussions as to implement the reduction before racism is used as a reason to redo a vote. Echoing the sentiments of many here, we're extremely close to giving up on St. Louis and heading for greener pastures.
Everyone needs to calm down . There are so many positive things happening in this city every day. Don’t let this hiccup get you down.
This city has a terminal case of the hiccups.

So disappointed alderman actually moved this forward.
Reached out to my Alderwoman, Tammika Hubbard, yesterday. I had some choice words for her, which admittedly were a little harsh, but I stand by it. Anyways, I got a reply today.
Alderwoman <[email protected]>
11:53 AM (4 hours ago)
to me
Spoken like a true Devil! I will never vote in favor of taking equal representation away from those that look like me! Get Over IT!
If you would like context to her reply, here is my original email to Tammika Hubbard.
I am your constituent. I'm appalled by the Board of Aldermen's behavior regarding ward reduction. We voted overwhelmingly to reduce the number of Alderman. I saw that you were in favor of keeping the same amount of Alderman. You're gone. I don't care who runs opposite you. I am voting against you until you are out of office. You are obviously not fit for office. How are city leaders going to say that the County needs to reduce, but won't do the same in the city??
Does this have another vote before it goes to the Mayor? If so, I'd say email Lewis Reed and Lyda Krewson to tell them you're opposed to this bill to reverse City voters' decision to reduce the Board of Alderman. Tell Reed you will vote against him next spring if he supports Board Bill 25.
Why is an April vote a bad thing for the those in favor of the reduction?If at most 20,000 ppl are gonna turn out it should be easy for the white devils to win, right?
^^

Assuming you’re being sarcastic considering the picture you posted earlier, but there shouldn’t be another vote period. The people already voted in 2012

mullanphy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm
Does this have another vote before it goes to the Mayor? If so, I'd say email Lewis Reed and Lyda Krewson to tell them you're opposed to this bill to reverse City voters' decision to reduce the Board of Alderman. Tell Reed you will vote against him next spring if he supports Board Bill 25.
The bill still needs to be third read, signed by Reed, and then sent to Krewson for approval.
STLhistoryBuff wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm
^^

Assuming you’re being sarcastic considering the picture you posted earlier, but there shouldn’t be another vote period. The people already voted in 2012

Only sarcastic with the white devil comment.

The primary opposition is coming from black north city alderman, correct? Yet they are pushing a voter suppression tactic that will effect black voter turnout more than white voter turnout.
Ebsy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 pm

The bill still needs to be third read, signed by Reed, and then sent to Krewson for approval.
What size majority is required to overturn Krewson’s veto?
BellaVilla wrote:
STLhistoryBuff wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm
^^

Only sarcastic with the white devil comment.

The primary opposition is coming from black north city alderman, correct? Yet they are pushing a voter suppression tactic that will effect black voter turnout more than white voter turnout.
Lol I thought so. Yeah, I don’t know though. I’m thinking it’s just a last ditch effort and they’re grasping at straws.

BellaVilla wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:52 pm
I am probably missing the joke, but why the EU flags? For all the demonization it gets by US press, it is still a far more functional and accountable institution than any local government in Missouri.
Eh it was just the best meme-ish thing I could find.

You get the movie reference though right?
I believe 2/3 majority is required to over-ride veto; so 19...?

15 voted for the bill, so they'd need to get 4 more yes -- if I'm doing math correctly.
The 5th ward voted 2103-1900 in favor of Prop R in 2012. Not over 60%, but a majority.
Tony Messenger @tonymess

Yesterday afternoon, @LydaKrewson tweeted her opposition to the ward reduction bill not long after my column (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/colu ... 3d2e9.html ) posted. I asked if that meant she would veto the bill if it passes. The answer is yes, according to spokesman @KoranAddo. She will veto.
quincunx wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:08 pm
Tony Messenger @tonymess

Yesterday afternoon, @LydaKrewson tweeted her opposition to the ward reduction bill not long after my column (http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/colu ... 3d2e9.html ) posted. I asked if that meant she would veto the bill if it passes. The answer is yes, according to spokesman @KoranAddo. She will veto.
I wonder if vetoing the bill will just be a larger distraction in the sense that now, the proponents will be looking for ways to override the veto.
I think the campaign in the run up to a vote in April 2019 would be a way bigger distraction.
stlien wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm
I wonder if vetoing the bill will just be a larger distraction in the sense that now, the proponents will be looking for ways to override the veto.
i'd much rather the proponents have to to secure another 4 BOA votes on top of getting over 60% of the public vote. makes their bullsh*t much less likely to succeed. hopefully after this re-vote effort fails, the reduction happens, and the sky does not fall on A-A representation, they'll go away.
The bill's supporters definitely will not have the votes to override Krewson's veto. All of this was extremely performative for certain individuals on the board.