634 N. Grand (former Health Dept. building) Redevelopment

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
framer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:40 am
Large crowd loitering on the sidewalk this morning, with the front door open. Perhaps Bull Moose employees getting a sneak-peek? Groundbreaking ceremony? Dunno.
ImageScreen Shot 2017-08-31 at 2.34.58 PM by Alex Price, on Flickr

I have no idea if this means we'll see any actual progress or if this is just the only time they could get him in town. Regardless, it's a great sign. Let's also keep in mind that there's a sign above them that says "Coming Summer 2017"
Underway and scheduled to be completed next year - according to the Post

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e623b.html
Interesting article about a new form of "public/private energy efficiency financing package" that they're using on this project.

http://www.constructforstl.org/rahill-c ... financing/
Renovation appears to be finally going full speed ahead, athough streets closures to the east seem rather extensive. Does anyone know if other streetscape work is also being done In conjunction with this project?
They landed a celebrity NYC chef for the restaurant, which should open this fall.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblo ... restaurant

Not entirely sure from that piece, but I assume f this means the hotel as a whole will be open at that time and not just the restaurant. Anyway, good to see that this finally will be concluded after years of slow-going.
Is the Bull Moose Tube move dead?
^ I think it's still happening; haven't heard otherwise.
STLrainbow wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:46 pm
They landed a celebrity NYC chef for the restaurant, which should open this fall.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblo ... restaurant

Not entirely sure from that piece, but I assume f this means the hotel as a whole will be open at that time and not just the restaurant. Anyway, good to see that this finally will be concluded after years of slow-going.
Thanks for the post as Biz Journals article on it was behind a pay wall
Mark Groth wrote:Is the Bull Moose Tube move dead?
At this point you would think the Lawrence Group/Bull Moose Investors would be adding phase II mixed used residential infill to the project with everything else going on between mid-town, SLU & CWE/Cortex. But maybe the group has put its focus and efforts on the moving the much more visible Foundry project forward and as result 634 N Grand is on the slow track in a grander plan for their central corridor investment(s)
^Long long ago I worked a season for Grand Center. (Hanging lights, building roadboxes, and generally trying to make empty buildings look lively and less empty in assorted simple ways.) I'd be dang tempted to try and book our old office. Just for old time's sake. (After all, I did a little work on the plaster in that building myself. So whoever is rehabbing it now . . . yeah, that was me. That's my thumbprint in the caulk on . . . I wherever it was we were. North side of the eighth floor,maybe? Lord god that's a long time ago.) Anyway, it's REALLY neat seeing Bull Moose/Lord Paul get the thing ship shape again.
My frame shop was on the first floor of this building for two years back when the Health Dept. (and Grand Center) was still there. They also rented out a bunch of the upper floor spaces for artists studios. Sure gonna be weird to go back and visit after the renovation.
Excited for the new rooftop addition on this one. I've been up there on the roof before and the view to the city and view south down grand and SLU are absolutely incredible. Great place for a cocktail or beer. Hoping the drink cost remains reasonable!
framer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 am
My frame shop was on the first floor of this building for two years back when the Health Dept. (and Grand Center) was still there. They also rented out a bunch of the upper floor spaces for artists studios. Sure gonna be weird to go back and visit after the renovation.
I missed the studios and your shop, I'm afraid. I was there only very briefly. (The 97/98 Grandel Square cabaret season, basically, plus a little bit after.) But I will completely agree with you that it will be weird. (I'm still a little in shock that the Sun is not only standing . . . but open! I have pictures of what it was before. My mind was utterly blown when I heard from a friend about the reno.)

Still, I am excited to see it happen. It will bring more activity to Midtown and, while things are getting better all the time, there's still a lot of space to fill. And that building needed some TLC even . . . wait . . . how the heck is that twenty years ago? *looks around uncomfortably*

Yeah, never mind. Looking forward to it. Just the same.
The website is live!😊 https://www.angadartshotel.com/
The chameleon lounge looks fun and the playroom intrigues me. Play your favorite board game or instrument? I'm all over it and I think I know who else to call.
Unfortunately Bull Moose is no longer moving here from Chesterfield, they claim they've already outgrown the space here and will stay in Chesterfield.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am
Unfortunately Bull Moose is no longer moving here from Chesterfield, they claim they've already outgrown the space here and will stay in Chesterfield.
Couple speculative thoughts,

Employees who most likely live in West County pushed back on basis of drive and or the 1% earnings tax.

A more favorable outlook is Bull Moose for which I believe is an investor in the Foundry is looking there for more space and a bigger presence.
The bold multi-color room treatments are highly visible from the street.

(should this thread have its name updated?)
The Angad Arts Hotel, with its new address 3550 Samuel Shepard Dr, is now open as of yesterday. I highly recommend checking out the new public spaces of the hotel, as they are quite unique and hard to compare to anything else in St. Louis. Lawrence Group did a great job with the project (even though it took awhile). I look forward to seeing the Grand Tavern open and the remaining first floor tenant and office spaces gain occupancy.
"The mood ring of hotels" from Travel and Leisure:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels ... 2yxbCXk9MM
I'm not quite happy with my pictures of it yet, but it's good to see it open and I definitely like the sign. Will have to give the public amenities a try at some point soon. Very much curious what the place looks like now. :)
stlnative wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:27 pm
I look forward to seeing the Grand Tavern open and the remaining first floor tenant and office spaces gain occupancy.
So if I follow right Bull Moose won't move in after all but office space was still built as planned but to be leased to others? How many floors was that again?
I like the sign but wish they had recreated the theater marquee like they originally had planned.
The hotel is chock-full of art by local artists. Art St. Louis will be hosting a free opening reception on November 10th, from 4 - 6:30.

Stopped by last night for a drink at the rooftop bar. This is a very cool addtion to our city hope it does well.