BEST DIVE BARS

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis

dweebe wrote:
carrieocity kills wrote:
meow pussycat!

i think tats make someone look tougher esp someone very large. i dont have any myself but i feel tough so maybe you are right.

What about all the little college chickies with tramp stamps. Are they tough? :wink:

Only the fat ones.

yes?

Couldn't find a thread only about "Hair of the Dog" so I'll post here.

It's been a month or so since I was last in there so I don't know how new they are, but HOD has very thankfully added two new smoke eaters. While not making it as good as non-smoking, it greatly improves the air quality in the place.

When the bar is busy the smoke used to be so bad it would hurt your eyes, make it hard to breathe and you smelled like an ashtray when you walked out. But now you can at least breathe decently in the place. Thank goodness.
Hi-Way bar has reopened after closing for several months.

The confederate flag place on Gravios has cleaned up a lot and removed the flag -- under new ownership.

The Filling Station in Benton Park on Pestalozzi is a decent dive.
Matt wrote:
The confederate flag place on Gravios has cleaned up a lot and removed the flag -- under new ownership.

I lived over near there for a couple years but never got the courage up to go in there.

I did, however, stumble (literally) into one of the short-lived bars that occupied the place that had the "Mary's Fine Food" writing on the window. It was on Gravois, I think pretty close to the place Matt was referring to. I forget what they called the place, but it was country. The jukebox had both kinds of music: country and western!

dweebe wrote:
Couldn't find a thread only about "Hair of the Dog" so I'll post here.

It's been a month or so since I was last in there so I don't know how new they are, but HOD has very thankfully added two new smoke eaters. While not making it as good as non-smoking, it greatly improves the air quality in the place.

When the bar is busy the smoke used to be so bad it would hurt your eyes, make it hard to breathe and you smelled like an ashtray when you walked out. But now you can at least breathe decently in the place. Thank goodness.

The day Hair of the Dog goes smoke free, is the day it ceases to be a dive bar. Smoking goes hand in hand with dive bars. What's next, a clean restroom? a wine list?? a children's menu??? it's a DIVE BAR!
Absolutely nothing to do with St. Louis, but these vintage photos of a dive bar in the Bowery in NYC are just too good not to share:

http://mashable.com/2016/10/01/sammys-b ... d6QwxAniqE

Looks like a spot Kerouac and Cassidy would feel right at home in.
". . . to see how the other half staggers." Nice!
So what's everyone's favorite dive bars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
downtown2007 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 am

Applebee's
ricke002 wrote:
downtown2007 wrote:

Applebee's

Famous Bar
downtown2007 wrote:

Hideaway

(it was Missouri Bar and Grill before they ruined it)

Any other answer is unacceptable.
I'm still partial to Hair of the Dog.

RIP Club 34.
I once went to a hole-in-the-wall way down on South Grand near Carondelet Park. My friend ordered a Bushmills on the rocks. The barmaid brought her a can of Busch beer and a glass of ice. True story.
framer wrote:I once went to a hole-in-the-wall way down on South Grand near Carondelet Park. My friend ordered a Bushmills on the rocks. The barmaid brought her a can of Busch beer and a glass of ice. True story.
Club Paladora?

^That sounds right. It was right around Bellerive Blvd., and was one of the last places in the City that still allowed smoking.
framer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 pm

RIP Club 34.
Hair is decent, but I wouldn't quite call it a dive... feels a little too polished IMO.
Here's the RFT's Definitive List of St. Louis Dive Bars:

https://photos.riverfronttimes.com/the- ... danielhill
framer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:47 pm
Here's the RFT's Definitive List of St. Louis Dive Bars:

https://photos.riverfronttimes.com/the- ... danielhill
There's a lot there to try - wish they had a map version of that list!
framer wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 pm

RIP Club 34.
that was a special one. i may have already posted about it but since the FORUM is so slow to load didn't look back to see.

i remember chasing a roach around with a beer can. place felt like it was like a portal to the late 40s or something. just was too much dive for euclid i guess...

sometimes i go to the blockhouse on st. chas rock road now that i live in u-city, it's an easy shot up north and south rd.
No surprise here: CBGB named one of the best dive bars in the country.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/ ... in-america