Macklind Business District

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Currently $100 fine for first offense misdemeanor. I say up that to $500 and have the cops out big time. There's too much property damage, dumpster fires, etc. for this to continue. Make a big public relations push in the two weeks before to make it clear that they're going to enforce it so that there's no excuses. I emailed Tom Oldenburg but we'll see what happens.
Any person or entity which violates the provisions of Section 5.82.030 shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500) for each violation or by imprisonment for not less than five (5) days nor more than ninety (90) days in jail for each violation or both such fine and imprisonment.
https://library.municode.com/mo/st._lou ... 5.82.060PE
SouthCityJR wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 pm
The City needs to dramatically increase fines for setting off fireworks and Police need to actually enforce it for a change. Last night I heard people shooting them off until 2 am. Fireworks are just too dangerous in an urban environment. Buildings are too close together.
^ good luck with that. you can do pretty much anything you want in a car in this city and the cops don't give a sh*t. can't imagine they give even half a sh*t about people setting off fireworks. i'm also a huge fan of the day-after fireworks debris covering every f***ing inch of my neighborhood, but i guess i shouldn't expect anything different when half of city residents can't be bothered to use a garbage can on any day of the year, much less independence day.
While I agree that the law in the city should be enforced this is another regional problem. If my friends Facebook posts are to be believed people all over the metro area felt like they lived in a war zone on the night of the 4th and again last night in many places. One problem is that while fireworks are illegal in the city of St. Louis and throughout St. Louis County they are legal in unincorporated areas of St. Charles County. It would be great if we no longer had the fireworks stands just off the Blanchette Bridge in St. Chuck and in parts of Illinois a short drive away from STL city/county. I know people can still get their hands on fireworks via the internet but shutting down the easy access would probably cut down on some of the supply, and also send a more unified message that if you want to shoot them off go out to the middle of nowhere. Amateur fireworks shows don't belong in a city or suburban area.
Have y'all seen the fireworks-over-LA-video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xji5Hl46wxU
^I had seen that, and I know it's an issue in nearly every urban area, but that doesn't mean we have to accept it and tacitly allow it. Tom Oldenburg said the mayor, public safety officer, police chief and some other folks are meeting this month to discuss options for next year. We'll see what happens.
^ I predict nothing.... Nearly impossible to keep up with all of the calls for fireworks when City resources are needed and stretched thin by more “urgent matters”.
There is simply no way that the powers that be will ever crack down on people setting off fireworks in St. Louis City and St. Louis County. Absolutely insane that anyone thinks otherwise.

Macklind Avenue Deli had recently changed hands (Kreckler sold it) and the new owners had changed up the menu and pricing, maybe in anticipation of doing a remodel. Wouldn't be surprised if they have some terribly convenient architectural plans laying around.
FWIW, the U City Police Dept. sent out these notices on social media.

What can people expect? For years the city has neglected to enforce these laws. I know that in the 15 years I have lived in the Patch there have been at least 3 house fires attributed to fireworks and nothing was done. It's very frustrating to our quality of life.
For what it's worth, these laws aren't really enforced anywhere. Growing up in Chesterfield, it was an annual tradition to buy a stupid amount of fireworks from St. Charles and shoot them off in the middle of the subdivision.

Yes, the risks are greater in an urban environment, but i have a hard time blaming the city police for not being able to effectively enforce something that no one else is able to enforce either.
Saw a restaurant hearing sign outside the Mack, but it was ripped in half and falling off the pole. Couldn't tell what the address was but it might be for the newly renovated corner at 4623 Macklind.
An Alderpersons hosted Fireworks town hall
July 30th @ 6:00 pm
Sheet Metal Workers Hall on Chouteau.

https://www.facebook.com/events/302538843620491/
stlhistory wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 am
Saw a restaurant hearing sign outside the Mack, but it was ripped in half and falling off the pole. Couldn't tell what the address was but it might be for the newly renovated corner at 4623 Macklind.
Mack is adding a backyard patio.