3201 Morgan Ford - Rehab & Infill

Discuss renovations and new residential construction in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Planned is 20 units and the rehab of the existing building at the corner of Wyoming and Morgan Ford. A 95% Tax Abatement has been requested and a blighting resolution is proposed to the LCRA. Both are supported by Alderman Vollmer. Linked is my story, made so people who don't have a Biz Journal subscription can stay I the know, and the Biz Journal story

http://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-blog ... rove-south
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... tower.html

This has supposedly passed the LCRA Board tonight. Next stop is the Planning Commission then the Board of Aldermen. Had a conversation with a neighbor of the proposed site and she is worried that the loss of green space will hurt the wildlife in the area. I told her that if there is a neighborhood meting on this to bring up the idea of a green roof/garden so that some of the wildlife can live there still. Hopefully a meeting comes up soon.
Loss of wildlife?!!
1. It's an urban area.
2. I live just blocks away in South Kingshighway Hills where every lot is full. Yet we still have rabbits, squirrels, field mice, raccoons, birds and the occasional possum. What is she afraid they're going to lose? Elk? Hellbenders?

Oy!
Did you ask her if she had visited the 289 acres of green space that lies 1,500 feet to the north?
lol and another 3 acres a block away!
aprice wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 am
Did you ask her if she had visited the 289 acres of green space that lies 1,500 feet to the north?
I asked her and she says that the park is a good thing to have, but she wants to keep seeing the wildflowers and wildlife that come over to live in the lot. She is NIMBY but her primary worry is noise as she lives in the gray apartment building just South of the lot. I think she needs to realize the words that Shadrach said...
shadrach wrote: Loss of wildlife?!!
1. It's an urban area.
2. I live just blocks away in South Kingshighway Hills where every lot is full. Yet we still have rabbits, squirrels, field mice, raccoons, birds and the occasional possum. What is she afraid they're going to lose? Elk? Hellbenders?
She will hopefully learn soon but I don't want to be rude to someone like her. She has her worries and I don't want to play her opinion down like it is nothing.
Site currently for those who don't know...

So more concerns are coming in. Nimbyism is in full play. All surrounding traffic, Alderman Vollmer, size of the development and more. They shouldn't be very worried because this is called "growing pains". It's what happens when cities grow.
Sounds great. Hope it happens.
Current conditions look like a pretty dismal place to wait for a bus.
If neighbors are worried about auto traffic, they should insist on no onsite parking.
Jacob Barker wrote about this as well. I know it is early on in the process but the fact that the developer isn’t speaking about this is surprising. Their lawyer has too.

https://www.stltoday.com/business/colum ... 8cfe8.html
quincunx wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 pm
Sounds great. Hope it happens.
Current conditions look like a pretty dismal place to wait for a bus.
If neighbors are worried about auto traffic, they should insist on no onsite parking.
Conditions will be improved a lot. I don’t think there will be on sites parking. The lot is too small for a dedicated garage portion. There is also an existing structure behind this lot. I don’t know if the developer also owns that but if not, I don’t see any on site parking happening.
^ I believe parking is planned for the first floor of the new construction portion.
STLrainbow wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:28 am
^ I believe parking is planned for the first floor of the new construction portion.
How many cars could possibly fit in that little lot? They couldn't possibly do 20 cars for the 20 units. They would have to partially demo a neighboring structure (along the alley) to make it work. I guess we will wait and see when the architect or AHM releases more renderings. I still think the architecture firm is JEMA.
A single parcel contains the building on the corner, the building in the rear, and the non-built-upon portion to the south
I don't even know how they're going to fit 20 apartments in there unless they're micros. The lot width looks almost exactly as wide as the 4 family building next to it. I'd also be assuming they would be taking out that cinder block building behind 3201 on Wyoming. It doesn't really contribute to much.

I'm all for most productive use of land, but I would imagine 5-6 really nice 1 and 2 bed apartments would be nicer to have. Is the era of 2-3 story dense building construction over?

Mostly, I'm curious why they're not going for bottom floor retail.
quincunx wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:09 pm
A single parcel contains the building on the corner, the building in the rear, and the non-built-upon portion to the south
It makes sense now. I could see them demoing the building along the alley then.
bwcrow1s wrote: I don't even know how they're going to fit 20 apartments in there unless they're micros. The lot width looks almost exactly as wide as the 4 family building next to it. I'd also be assuming they would be taking out that cinder block building behind 3201 on Wyoming. It doesn't really contribute to much.

I'm all for most productive use of land, but I would imagine 5-6 really nice 1 and 2 bed apartments would be nicer to have. Is the era of 2-3 story dense building construction over?

Mostly, I'm curious why they're not going for bottom floor retail.
I wonder if the building will be an “L” shale. The majority of the building would be along Morgan Ford with some on Wyoming. They would probably be compact units but not micro. I see no 2 bedrooms happening here unless it is only 1 unit of that kind. I thought they were going for retail space on the Wyoming corner. The rendering/drawing shows windows there so maybe there will be a small space for a cafe or something like that.
Some updates regarding this...

NextSTL Story: https://nextstl.com/2018/08/3-7-million ... s-old-new/

New Renderings (From JEMA)...

Based on these renderings, it will be an "L" shaped building as the exsiting structure along the alley will be demolished for the new building. It will be massive but a welcome addition in my opinion.

Finally, some neighbors and residents of the neighborhood are still aaginst this and are wanting a meeting to discuss this and request changes.
Good looking building.
framer wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 pm
Good looking building.
It is a good looking building but the name isn't. You've heard of MOFO now get ready for WYMO! That's the name of this by JEMA.
^JEMA might have a project name for it, but I don't think that's necessarily what it will be marketed as.
I love it.
Yeah - I hope they can find a way to keep rolling with the buildings along Morgan Ford - at the same time, I hope Morgan Ford can stay a little weird.
The Board of Adjustment will review this tomorrow according to the agenda.

"APPEAL #11143 -– Appeal filed by Adolfo Maalindog from the determination of the Building Commissioner in the denial of a building permit authorizing the Appellant to complete interior and exterior alterations, per plans (zoning only) for multi-family residential and commercial space at 3201-07 Morganford Rd. WARD 10"

I wonder if it will pass the Board. The neighborhood appears to be split by this. I guess we will see!
On another note, there is also some new information I would like to share regarding this...

- There will be 22 units in total of which, 18 will be single person capacity or micro units
- There will be approximately 23 parking spaces on site.
- Construction could start around November/December of this year so it can be open by late fall next year.
- The retail space is being aimed for a coffee shop concept with small eats for neighbors and residents before they go to work, anytime during the day or whenever.
- The roof of the existing 3201 Morgan Ford building will be turned into a green roof.
- The largest apartment units will be on the 4th floor and will all have small front lawns.
- The largest unit will be a two bedroom apartment.
- And, the building will be an "L" shape with the small, single floor structure at Wyoming and the Alley will be demoed.
I was told this rezoning application was approved/passed by the Board of Adjustment today. Next stop is a neighborhood meeting in September followed by a Board of Aldermen meeting later this fall to determine whether the tax abatement moves forward. In the end, I think this will be a great project but I wonder what else is planned in the neighborhood in terms of new construction.