New Piazza Coming to The Hill

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Interesting. Who owned that lot for so long and why has it been vacant for as long as I can remember?

To me, I'd rather see more mixed use along Marconi but I guess this is a nice amenity to the commercial strip. More storefronts would definitely fit in with the culture of the community though.

Off topic slightly, but does anyone know anything about the empty storefronts closer to Shaw on the east side of Marconi? Seems like they have been rehabbed for a while but no tenants last I was down there a month or so ago. The one at the corner seemed to have been leased at least.
^^ if the animation is accurate, the only access to the piazza will be from the parking lots to either side. no access from the sidewalk. it doesn't get any more St. Louis than that.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 am
^^ if the animation is accurate, the only access to the piazza will be from the parking lots to either side. no access from the sidewalk. it doesn't get any more St. Louis than that.
Hopefully, that gate is one that would be open most of the time. Otherwise yeah, just seems like a gated fancy yard.
^Honestly I'd think something more creative would be better. Get rid of the fence. Maybe even the parking if St. Ambrose is willing to make their lot public on weekdays. Build some storefronts along the west side, facing the "piazza." Repave that strip of Marconi with cobblestone or some other highly textured paver right in front of the church to provide connection. To really make this a proper piazza I would think you'd want better pedestrian amenities and surrounding commercial. Some coffee to drink, tables to sit at, pastries to eat. And more hard paving than grass, but shaded with trees and arbors for St. Louis heat. I like the idea, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired. And a better animation than Minecraft meets the Sims would help. It's early days, I suppose, but the basic idea has merit.
Agreed. Some shop stalls would work really well there, somewhat more permanent/built in market stalls for pop ups as well as vendor and cafe stalls. Then it'd be a really interesting concept. Right now, this is pretty unimaginative, and commercially, ill conceived.