Waldbart Florist Demo, Clayton and Big Bend

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within St. Louis County, including Chesterfield, Riverport, Earth City, Westport and more.
Sheesh. Here we go again. Developers plan to demolish the historic Waldbart Florist / Jon Paul Designs building on the southwest corner of Clayton and Big Bend. Urgent care facility would replace it.

http://40southnews.com/development-woul ... l-designs/

Wow. Really? And I thought the Parkmoor being replaced by a Walgreen's was bad.

The pedestrian-hostile medical office buildings with ground-floor parking along Clayton aren't enough. Now one of the only remaining sidewalk-fronting historical mixed-use buildings has to came down. Pathetic.
Yuck. I've long thought it wouldn't be long until this building became threatened. I'll be speaking out against this.
Yep, I saw this coming for a while too. Moorlander, I'm with you- I'll be opposing demolition.
^ I'll be there in opposition as well.
Good luck to you guys. That would be a travesty. There's so much modern parking strangulated junk along there that losing nearly the last bit of the historic streetcar suburb would be . . . irredeemable.
Richmond Heights leadership just confuses me. It's like how can we make our urban neighborhood more suburban
This is absolutely tragic! I don't even live in RH, but this pisses me off to no end! We need big protests for this one...like we did to save the saucer building on Grand by SLU.
for those who can't attend here are the email contacts for City of Richmond Heights, MO leaders

Mayor Jim Thompson [email protected]

aldermen
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]org
[email protected]
[email protected]

City Manager Amy Hamiliton [email protected]
Hard to believe that the owner of Total Access Urgent Care, who lives in a historic Clayton mansion just up Big Bend, would want this....
A little further west, both 7800 Clayton and the old Layton's sites are both empty, architectural non-entities, already auto-oriented properties and both for sale/lease.
Demo of this building would be an absolute travesty! I give them credit for developing the Hampton location at 44 and the STL Hills location, but this is just ridiculous!
This must be stopped! :x
I stopped by and and reviewed the plans submitted last week.

The good : The proposed building would be build up to the street with parking on the south side (a similar footprint to the existing building.)

The bad: we'd lose a beautiful old brick beauty. The exterior has a Red brick lower half with eifs upper and lots of awnings. Looks cheap.

I was told the building is in rough shape due to neglect and deferred maintenance by previous owners. Right now the Florist and Consignment/Antique shop are the only tenets. The upper floor residential and office is vacant.

I think we should be pushing for Total Access Urgent Care to purchase the current building and rehab it Hopefully keeping the existing tenets. A bonus would be reopening the residential on floor 2.
Word on Twiiter is that it passed Plan and Zoning Commission.
quincunx wrote:Word on Twiiter is that it passed Plan and Zoning Commission.

Grrrrrrrr
moorlander wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:09 am
quincunx wrote:Word on Twiiter is that it passed Plan and Zoning Commission.

Grrrrrrrr
Ridiculous
quincunx wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 pm
Rendering posted

http://www.richmondheights.org/document ... -31-17.pdf
^This is the rendering I saw yesterday afternoon. RH asked for revisions and presented this one last night:
[/quote]

^This is the rendering I saw yesterday afternoon. RH asked for revisions and presented this one last night:
[/quote]

I thought I heard them say they would have an entrance facing Big Bend – Does it just not show it here in the rendering, or will the only entrance really be in the back by the parking lot?
gopherlou wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:17 am
[/quote]

I thought I heard them say they would have an entrance facing Big Bend – Does it just not show it here in the rendering, or will the only entrance really be in the back by the parking lot?
[/quote]

What a bad idea - Just find another place, heaven knows we have plenty of better sites
I attended the hearing last night and spoke against this sad, generic single use 1-story building. I was encouraged that almost everyone at the hearing (except for a few associated with Total Access Urgent Care) spoke against it as well. This is not a done deal! The plan still needs approval from the full council. I believe that meeting will be on Sept. 5th, but not positive. So there is still time for the public to weigh in. The doctor who owns Total Access Urgent Care said anyone with concerns can call him on his cell phone. I feel dumb for not getting that number before I left. I think this one is definitely worth fighting for. Richmond Heights should have higher standards for itself. This is an unworthy replacement for a functional, functioning historic mixed-use urban building.

If the existing building must go, its replacement should be required to have a residential component, and should be at least as large as the current structure. Wash U and Fontbonne are in walking distance-- residential is a no-brainer in this amazing location (and clearly rehabbing the current building would make the most sense). What a missed opportunity. Let's organize-- Saucer 2.0!!!

It's almost like the exact same thing, but no residential above.

Why.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:05 pm
It's almost like the exact same thing, but no residential above.

Why.
The exact same thing, only cheaper and without the responsiveness to the site. Or the residential. As to why, my guess is something along the lines of "Well, maybe if we add bricks and the little diamond insets and make it look kind of like what's there (without spending that grade of cash) maybe we can grease it past the eyeballs on the opposing side."

Yuck.
Today is the day. Council meeting is tonight at 7:30 at RH city hall

Pics of the one at Hampton/44