Element Hotel by Westin

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
New Hotel planned for east of the Standard and across from the Foundry.

Maryland Heights-based Midas Hospitality has acquired the Habitat for Humanity St. Louis headquarters in Midtown with plans of redeveloping the site into a $25 million hotel.

Midas bought the property — a campus that includes 3763, 3745 and 3755 Forest Park Ave. — for $2.4 million. Midas plans to eventually demolish the buildings to construct an Element by Westin hotel, an eco-friendly, extended-stay concept that will feature more than 150 rooms and 10,000 square feet of retail space along with a rooftop lounge.

continue reading:
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... dtown.html
^ Not surprising... not sure if there's any mention of subsidies yet but it really is time to crack down on that for this area.
Wait...what's that huge office type building? In the lower right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
addxb2 wrote:Wait...what's that huge office type building? In the lower right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This region is getting exciting. The whole Forest Park Avenue Corridor in Cortex and East of Vandeventer sure is changing. Now, the City has to raise FPA at Grand to really make it great. That big office building is probably an announcement coming soon.
Awesomeness!!
This part of the City is approaching "full walkability". That's great for students of SLU and residents of the General area. Great little shopping and entertainment region appearing
STLrainbow wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:30 am
^ Not surprising... not sure if there's any mention of subsidies yet but it really is time to crack down on that for this area.
Agreed, there is no reason to subsidize this development.
it looks like that giant ugly office building is gonna take out several more occupied, well-kept, low-rise buildings if it gets built. they're not particularly remarkable (although the Pappo's building is quite handsome) but we really need to stop removing existing, human scaled stuff when there is already so much empty space to fill.
Is there any mention in the Biz Journal article about Habitat for Humanity moving elsewhere in the city? It'd be nice if they found a new home without having to move out. Also, it'd be great to see a little sliver of a building in front of that massive parking garage along this stretch. Maybe it's time to start thinking about a road diet for this stretch of Forest Park, it's going to be tough to cross the street to get to the Foundry. Lots of speeding along here.
Wow, I like the look of it. That'll make the Standard look even shittier! Too bad this can't be built on the vacant lot on the NW corner of FPP & Vandy instead of tearing down existing urban fabric.
Mark Groth wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 am
Is there any mention in the Biz Journal article about Habitat for Humanity moving elsewhere in the city? It'd be nice if they found a new home without having to move out. Also, it'd be great to see a little sliver of a building in front of that massive parking garage along this stretch. Maybe it's time to start thinking about a road diet for this stretch of Forest Park, it's going to be tough to cross the street to get to the Foundry. Lots of speeding along here.
When they sold the property, Midas leased it to them for a year so it'll be interesting to see where they end up at my guess is somewhere substantially cheaper (north city/south city)
Great news. The 10,000 sq.ft. in retail is a fantastic.
Interesting that SLU now controls and certainly influences many of the development decisions in this area, via the newly anointed Midtown Redevelopment Corporation, and they are also the owners of a nearby competing hotel - Hotel Ignacio.

A clear conflict of interest.

This will be an interesting trial run of how good of a development partner (or inhibitor) MRC is.
I think it is interesting note that you in pretty quick fashion got CORTEX Aloft hotel being develop, Lawrence Group proposed hotel tower and now Westin.

Will all three happen? to me the Lawrence Group seems to have the most interesting proposal and can truly be impressive if they get the platform at grade with Grand Ave done right & add a well designed pedestrian access to Foundry. Also, Did Drury missed out by not moving forward with its FPSE/Kingshighway location?
^ I think you may be mistaking Lawrence Group for Green Street with the hotel by Grand Metrolink as part of the Armory project. But don't forget Lawrence Group has their own hotel project in Grand Center. So. Many. Hotels.
^ Yep, mistaken as I meant Green Street proposed hotel as part of the Armory development.
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... rs-to.html
Habitat for Humanity finds new headquarters to make way for $25 million hotel
Habitat for Humanity St. Louis has agreed to acquire a vacant grocery store in south St. Louis that will serve as the future headquarters of the organization.

Habitat, led by CEO Kimberly McKinney, will move its administrative offices, construction warehouse and city ReStore location to 3830 S. Grand Blvd., near the intersection of Grand Boulevard and Chippewa Street.

The move, which is expected in April 2018, paves the way for Midas Hospitality to build a new $25 million Element by Westin hotel on Habitat’s current headquarters, at 3763, 3745 and 3755 Forest Park Ave.

The hotel is expected to be open in 2019.
This is doubly good news. That old grocery building isn't good urban design, but it's probably a very good use for Habitat, and it will be good to have it activated again.. And who knows, maybe we can get something street facing built on the edge of the parking lot someday. Habitat likely doesn't need the whole lot.
Seems like good news for The Foundry project, bringing more activity and visitors. And maybe not such good news for the likelihood of the Cortex hotel concept happening anytime soon (despite the now planned garage).
wabash wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:21 pm
Seems like good news for The Foundry project, bringing more activity and visitors. And maybe not such good news for the likelihood of the Cortex hotel concept happening anytime soon (despite the now planned garage).
I agree, hotels are popping up everywhere, but I think we could use a crap load of more apartments in the area. I'm kind of baffled that Cortex is so sheepish on residential.
goat314 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:25 pm
wabash wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:21 pm
I agree, hotels are popping up everywhere, but I think we could use a crap load of more apartments in the area. I'm kind of baffled that Cortex is so sheepish on residential.
My take is CORTEX is trying to keep to its core mission to develop office and lab space that has been tweaked for tech as well. I think this is good thing overall and well worth the wait if Wexford and Koman can fill/develop space with jobs. Not to mention the article noting that CORTEX has more demand than space even with Techshop closing up. Jobs gain will be big win overall for the immediate area (that has plenty of residential infill to go around - think FPSE neighborhood) as well a benefit to Foundry and Armory development.

I think you can already see a plus in hotel development. Would it be safe to say that at least three hotels will be underway Spring 2018?
- CORTEX Aloft and structured parking
- CWE hotel on York
- Hotel on FPP at Habitat for Humanity location.
Midas Midtown hotel construction starts soon, will get tax break from SLU-affiliated entity

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 3a155.html
Midas Hospitality is slated to begin construction on a $25 million hotel on Forest Park Parkway in the next couple of months. The 153-room Element by Westin should be complete by the end of next year.
Construction fence is up; looks like demo is imminent.
Buildings are down. This stretch of Forest Park Blvd. already looks very different.