4101 Manchester

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
4101 Manchester

Spencer Development’s plan to build a seven-story building of apartments, stores and offices on a city-owned parking lot in the Grove moved ahead Tuesday when an aldermanic committee approved the project for 10 years of tax abatement.

Stores, 30 apartments and offices with an outdoor terrace are part of the $6.25 million project to construct a glass-and-concrete building at 4101 Manchester Avenue. Sale of the site to Spencer could occur this month
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... f4f51.html

I'd sure like to see some additional renderings for this. It looks great, but what will it REALLY look like?

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 68445.html

Looks like it's moving forward and it's got a new design.
Looks great. The east end of the grove is going to feel pretty different in a coupla years.

Between this project, the mofo project, and the other recent multi-family project announced in the grove (which has the same architect as the mofo project), there's about to be a whole lot more vertical rust-colored beams/panels around town.
Looks good, although I'm just a bit concerned that it will look too industrial/garage-like. I trust the finished product will be more refined-looking.

Either way, it's nice to see what's apparently concrete construction, as opposed to that god-awful wood-frame crap.
So is that Modern Brutalist ?
imran wrote:So is that Modern Brutalist ?
Neo-modernism?

I was going to say something of the sort. It has a nice Le Corbusier look to it. That might be the nicest new design I've seen in town in . . . possibly inside of my own lifetime, actually. That is really really sweet!
I prefer the original design. The new design doesn't seem like it would make much of an impression in the skyline in the way the older design would.
stlgasm wrote: I prefer the original design. The new design doesn't seem like it would make much of an impression in the skyline in the way the older design would.
I think that's a trick of perspective between the two different renderings. Counting floors, I think they're the same size. Both appear to be seven stories. And the proportions make me think they didn't alter the height any. The number of apartments is much the same as it was before. I'm guessing the square footage is similar. Maybe even the structural plans are much the same. They've changed the facade a little and opened up balconies, making things look more different than I think they really are. And they put a large notch in the corner that's front and center of both renderings. But if you read the verbiage even the old article sounds more like the new rendering than the old one. It was always described as glass and concrete. You just couldn't really see the concrete before. Honestly, looking at it closely, I don't think it's a new design, just alterations to the old one. You can still see the seven story block in the back and the six story block in the front. They made the facade even top to bottom and pushed the curtain walls in a little, probably to give the residential block more balconies and maybe also better air circulation. And they changed the screen over the two pedestal stories, making them more visually distinct. But honestly, I think the single biggest change is that it's a clearer drawing that actually shows the materials in daylight, where the last one was all in silhouette, making the building seem lighter and airier. To be frank, it will probably never have all the lights on like that anyway. The new rendering is probably more honest. And seven stories will make an impact in the Grove any way you cut it. What with the building at Chouteau and Sarah, assuming that's still going forward, that's going to completely transform the east end of the neighborhood.
(And seeing as they've apparently started construction on the mixed use Sarah and Chouteau project . . . yes.)
Spencer took ownership of the property on June 13
More renderings and floor plans are available here:

Retail brochure

Office brochure

They hope to have space available 2nd quarter 2018. Seems optimistic, but who knows.

Also proposing a surface lot at the site of the old gas station and adjacent vacant lots (not so much a fan of that part).
^^damn that's a sexy building.
Oh, very true. I think I'm liking this one more with each new rendering. But I've always been a sucker for dense strakes and clean concrete decks. Reminds me a bit of what the Ramada Inn at the Arch was before the reskin. (Which came up around here in another thread.)
Zoning variances were granted by the Board of Adjustment yesterday after a rather entertaining exchange with Don Bellon, the property owner next door. Assuming financing has been lined up and drawings are ready to be submitted for a building permit, this could move along quickly now.
MattnSTL wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 pm
Zoning variances were granted by the Board of Adjustment yesterday after a rather entertaining exchange with Don Bellon, the property owner next door. Assuming financing has been lined up and drawings are ready to be submitted for a building permit, this could move along quickly now.
We did put one condition on it. That they find space accessible to the public for bike racks, either on their property or city's. They'll have 24 racks (or maybe spots) in the private portion of the garage
Any signs of life for the 4101 Manchester project?

Permit applied for, but not issued

SPENCER DEVELOPMENT LLC Building 12/22/2017 OFC/RET/MULTIFM $537,480.00 DRILL PIERS PER PLANS
I really, really hope this gets started soon i like the updated rendering a lot
Anyone know anything?
Building permit for drilling was applied for about 6-months ago.