One Hundred - Kingshighway & West Pine

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post454 posts
stlgasm wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:58 pm
Isn’t it kinda weird that no additional renderings have been released yet? And there haven’t even been any updates on Studio Gang’s website either- the project status still says “In Design”. Wouldn’t they be eager to announce the progress of this signature project?
Technically there has been an updated rendering. Just from the exact same angle. And we all have that one friend who always takes their selfies from the EXACT same angle. Sometimes they're attractive from other angles, sometimes they aren't...
As for the architect's website, I don't know a whole lot about Studio Gang but sometimes companies just don't pour a whole lot into promotion and advertising because they don't really need to. That includes updating their own website.
aprice wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 am
BellaVilla wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 am
This may have been asked before, but is the One Hundred going to take up all the space between Pine and Lindell or are they developing both parking lots.
Someone feel free to correct where the eastern edge of the site lies.
ImageUntitled-1 by Alex Price, on Flickr
Just the western parcel. So, looking at your map the eastern boundary is that line of trees down the middle. The map in the PD article and webcam appear to confirm this, but it looks like a portion of the eastern parcel is being utilized for staging materials and equipment. So total development site is just a bit over 0.7 acre.
Image100FOOTPRINT by Alex Price, on Flickr

I'd be surprised if they stop at that line of trees but it could very well be possible (dark red shaded area). The current hard hat zone construction fence is both shaded areas. And then I'm guessing some contractor parking is on the other half of that lot.
Studio Gang’s plan is for the building to stop where the darker red line is. Could certainly be interesting if the contractor goes rogue and builds something different from what the architect/developer planned on.

I just noticed that the sixth floor pool deck on top of the garage is probably going to have some really nice views over the treetops into and across the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pouring foundation work at 5pm today. Full speed ahead despite the rain.

newstl2020 wrote:Pouring foundation work at 5pm today. Full speed ahead despite the rain.

I think we could see the steel, or at least the core, begin rising by June or Early July. It appears they aren’t sparing anytime trying to get the foundations poured. Plus, because the foot print is so small, it shouldn’t be that hard to accomplish with 4 drills on site.
Interesting that there was no requirement for underground parking in this project, when that seemed to be an important selling point to the neighborhood/Park Central for Citizen Park and The Euclid.

The street wall, width of Kingshighway, openness to the park across the street and lack of pedestrian activity all make the accommodation of above ground parking make a lot more sense than on Euclid. And I suppose it makes the first level of apartments that much higher and more desirable and it’s obviously significantly cheaper to construct. But, I still find it a bit surprising that no underground parking was incorporated. With the depth Citizen Park went to this project could have concealed most of its parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ I suppose if you're aim in at least part is height, which I think it is here, above-ground parking also makes some kind of sense.
^Good point. It serves the pursuit of height and I guess when the form-based code allows for unlimited height, there's no reason to maximize the utility of the available floors with underground parking.

It sets an interesting precedent for future Kingshighway development. I imagine if/when anything is proposed at that Kings & Lindell lot that it would take a similar structured parking approach.
^On these specific lots i definitely prefer maximizing height, provided there is still street level interaction. There is a coffee shop slated for 100, minimal to be sure. I would think the Koman lot would/should have significantly more street level interaction but I would still prefer they go up with additional floors of parking built into a tower base than below ground.

If leasing goes quickly here I would think we could see something in the 500' range for the Koman property.
chriss752 wrote:
I think we could see the steel, or at least the core, begin rising by June or Early July.
Looking forward to the return of:
wabash wrote:
chriss752 wrote:
I think we could see the steel, or at least the core, begin rising by June or Early July.
Looking forward to the return of:
It would be really cool if they built it this way but I expect it to be built the way Centene and all other buildings are being built now, with the core first.
newstl2020 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:08 pm
^On these specific lots i definitely prefer maximizing height, provided there is still street level interaction. There is a coffee shop slated for 100, minimal to be sure. I would think the Koman lot would/should have significantly more street level interaction but I would still prefer they go up with additional floors of parking built into a tower base than below ground.

If leasing goes quickly here I would think we could see something in the 500' range for the Koman property.
It a balance I guess. More floors with people = more people which is good, but for the highly stylistic building design the rents will necessarily be quite large to compensate for the additional construction costs. But i have doubts they would get as large a price point in apartments which weren't above the tree line and traffic noise. So cheaper garage parking structure also gets them above the treeline and noise.

Also I don't imagine a well activated street fronting Kingshighway. A good street wall and some basic amenity like a cafe and an upscale bar is probably the best we can hope for. Kingshighway is just to busy to expect a pedestrian mall environment.

And I prefer most office options to stay in Cortex where large consolidated parking structures can be built off the street, to handle the daily demand. I have no problem with exclusive luxury apartments fronting kingshighway. Keeping the high earners (i.e. many of which run large business organizations) means there will be a higher tendency to create jobs in the core, which is very important.
I would imagine that it's substantially cheaper to build a garage than it is to dig down for parking. If the podium garage is the trade off required for extra height or Studio Gang design, I'll take it in a heart beat.
^ you can build an above ground garage if its pre-cast for about $14,000 a spot or $20,000 cast in place. Underground starts at about $30,000 a spot and up to $50,000

pre cast has higher maintenance costs, probably $50,000 per floor per year.
Here's my very, very, very crude effort to mock-up the massing of One Hundred, using the image newstl2020 shared earlier:

Feels about right. That's going to leave a mark. Should be very nice indeed.
^ Thanks for that image Wabash, love seeing classic skyscrapers under construction.

That picture reminds me of the toy skyscrapers that I would build with books and wooden blocks when a child. We always had sets of books around the house from my mom who was a teacher and those would serve as the floors plus a huge bag of wood cylinders and blocks for the columns and I would build whole cities in our basement. Chalk lines on the concrete floor for the roads, Christmas lights for building lights, I would go all out for an 8-9 year old! I had an entire mini STL at one point and we would build replicas of all the tall buildings of the time like WTC and the Sears Tower.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:04 pm
^ you can build an above ground garage if its pre-cast for about $14,000 a spot or $20,000 cast in place. Underground starts at about $30,000 a spot and up to $50,000

pre cast has higher maintenance costs, probably $50,000 per floor per year.
That maintenance cost seems awfully high. How did you come up with that?
Does anyone know if preleasing has started on this?
RuskiSTL wrote:Does anyone know if preleasing has started on this?
Nope. I contacted MAC about a week ago and they said they wanted to start the pre-leasing process later this year.
chriss752 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 pm
RuskiSTL wrote:Does anyone know if preleasing has started on this?
Nope. I contacted MAC about a week ago and they said they wanted to start the pre-leasing process later this year.
Thanks.
There's a big new mobile crane on site.
^Very lazy webcam update showing the new crane.

newstl2020 wrote:^Very lazy webcam update showing the new crane.

Such a crowded tiny site.