Chroma Mixed-Use 4001 Chouteau

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post167 posts
I forgot they changed it to put more apartments above the retail.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

ChromaSTL @ChromaSTL Mar 5

Wish they would wrap the west side (Sarah?) of the garage with apartments. Hate that it has been let open. It could really help the transition into Cortex to the north.
I think this project got less colorful with each iteration. Funny that an apartment complex named "Chroma" wound up black, gray, and brown. I don't mind the current aesthetics, but I also would like to see a little more bright color work its way into St. Louis architecture.
^I think it's turning out to be quite handsome. Personally, I'm not a fan of the current "multi color" trend in siding; it'll all look outdated within 5 years. I've got nothing against color for it's own sake, but again, the multi-color mish-mash popping up lately is just garish.
20% leased as of 05/23/2018
Have they already started move-ins?
Chroma had their grand opening yesterday, and they've signed Chao Baan as their first retail tenant (Thai restaurant).
southcitygent wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:39 am
Wish they would wrap the west side (Sarah?) of the garage with apartments. Hate that it has been let open. It could really help the transition into Cortex to the north.
There's a certain required open space (unobstructed to fresh air) that you have to have for a parking garage in order for it to be considered an "open air garage," something like 20 to 40%. Open air garages are much much cheaper as you are no longer required to provide mechanical ventilation and in some cases fire suppression systems. Switching from an enclosed garage to an open air garage can save the project somewhere between $200K and $500k. That cost, plus the cost of construction of the additional units probably wasn't feasible for the ROI from the additional revenue gained from the additional units.
The rendering for the first version also left the garage partially unwrapped, with plans for a phase 2 to complete the wrap: Big Changes Set for Mixed-Use Chouteau’ ... ion Starts.

Hopefully they will come back with a phase 2 to complete wrapping the garage. Hard to believe they wouldn't, otherwise why not move the garage to the corner and fully utilize the land? Or turn that parcel into more surface parking, rather than leave it disconnected from the planned surface parking near the garage entrance?
In the short term, some trees would be nice to at least create a sense of height and a street wall. Even a row of arborvitae would work.
I guess I never realized Chroma was Koman... but it makes sense since they own the lot in the Cortex just north across the highway. These two properties are way closer than I thought.

"Chroma and owner/manager Koman Group are committed to supporting St. Louis through our community partnerships and programming, including making a donation with every new lease."
addxb2 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am
20% leased as of 05/23/2018
Oh yeah - and addxb2 any update on leased numbers?
hebeters2 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:00 pm
The St. Louis Business Journal on Missouri. “Commercial lending in St. Louis isn’t keeping pace with other markets, and apartment construction may be reaching the saturation point,...
...Commercial multi-family lending grew solidly in 2016 and 2017. Thus far in 2018, it is slightly down. Is St. Louis overbuilt? We’re somewhere in that vicinity.’”
^ copied from the 7th and Victor thread but just wanted to say:
Spoke with someone this weekend that works in the Chroma leasing office. Said they've filled 95 units (of 235). They're very happy with the pace and bragged that they're filling faster than 212 did in Clayton.
Really cool drone shot from Chroma

https://twitter.com/chromastl/status/10 ... 52384?s=21