Rehab and new apartments in The Ville

Discuss renovations and new construction in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
Northside Community Housing and Rise teaming up to rehab 3 buildings and build new - Should be a nice tie in to the on going work to the south - 43 total units - Rehab of the old Star Laundry building - Which the last time I saw it I thought it was going to be demoed - Good stuff

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... d02eb.html
That's great! Much better than any McKee garbage.

I remember a big talking point from the Mayoral campaigns from a few candidates was, they were upset there were incentives being handed out in nice neighborhoods but not on the northside. It made it sound as if they weren't available to them but this proves incentives can and are used on the northside.
^One project does not erase the huge imbalance of resources flowing into the central corridor as compared with the North Side.

Happy to hear about this project though and its integration of rehab & new construction.
Well, clearly development incentives go where the development goes. Since the demand is mostly in the Central Corridor, that's where the development goes; hence the incentives go there as well. It's not like there's some conspiracy to deny incentives on the North Side; there's just not as much demand for development.
While thinking about this north vs central tax incentive disparity recently, it occurred to me that the same 10 year tax abatement would have a much higher monetary value for a developer in the central corridor vs the north side. It's a function of prevalent land value and property assessments.

Devalued neighborhoods probably need a different flavor of incentives or maybe a wider variety of options.
imran wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 pm
While thinking about this north vs central tax incentive disparity recently, it occurred to me that the same 10 year tax abatement would have a much higher monetary value for a developer in the central corridor vs the north side. It's a function of prevalent land value and property assessments.

Devalued neighborhoods probably need a different flavor of incentives or maybe a wider variety of options.
Agreed, thought it was strange it was often framed as, "My ward isn't getting these incentives and we need them."
Building permits have been issued.