CORTEX: St. Louis' Life Sciences and Technology District

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
First unread post1265 posts
Local tech startup acquired for $100 million. Plans to stay in Cortex and double it's space and staff:

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/pha ... n#stream/0
^ Post-Dispatch has a bit more info, writing with dredger in mind...

St. Louis startup Confluence Life Sciences sold to Philadelphia's Aclaris
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... d4978.html
Smith said the company would look for new offices with triple the space it occupies within BioGenerator Labs.

Dennis Lower, Cortex’s CEO, said at least three nearby developments could accommodate the growing company.

He mentioned a redevelopment planned for the Crescent Electric site east of Vandeventer Avenue, Lawrence Group’s City Foundry project on Forest Park Avenue and a Koman Group site at Duncan Avenue and Sarah Street.
"Smart People, Cool Places: The Story of Cortex".

Tonight on channel 9 at 8PM. Beware, though, it's pledge drive.
framer wrote:"Smart People, Cool Places: The Story of Cortex".

Tonight on channel 9 at 8PM. Beware, though, it's pledge drive.

I saw on the twitter that They showed this on the outside media board last night.

https://twitter.com/eqstl/status/895442899453829125
^^ Maybe you can find it on the Channel 9 YouTube feed.
jambo wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Also, PBS has apps for Roku and most likely others. Local content is available if you provide your location.
aprice wrote:
jambo wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Also, PBS has apps for Roku and most likely others. Local content is available if you provide your location.
I watch content on their Amazon Fire app all the time. Our favorite is the Feast TV program. They cover a ton of local startups in the food industry, Local restaurants, food trucks, breweries, retails stores, and the associated farmers and craftsman that that provide for them. It's very well done and if you love this site you'd love that program.
That show is extremely well produced. I thought it was national first time I saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The funky green skin is going up on the Microsoft building.
framer wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 pm
Vicia named one of the 12 best new restaurants in the U.S.

https://www.eater.com/2017/7/26/1603424 ... rants-2017
More accolades for Vicia: Esquire names Vicia one of country's best new restaurants

Aside from two in Chicago and one in Knoxville, everything else is on the coasts. Great seeing STL in this company. More of this please :)
Window glass is going in on the 4220 Duncan building this week.

Accenture moving from downtown to the 4220 building https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... cortex.htm (paywall)

Still no updates on the hotel or the parking garage/retail/residential parts. Anyone else heard anything?
Accenture moving to cortex. Seems like a weird move to me.
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... ortex.html
Any idea how many employees we are talking about? Not good for Downtown.
SouthCityJR wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 am
Agreed. We want Cortex attracting businesses from outside the city and more preferably outside the region. Per the article, Accenture has 500 employees in town but only about 30 are at the office on any given day.
moorlander wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 am
SouthCityJR wrote:
Agreed. We want Cortex attracting businesses from outside the city and more preferably outside the region. Per the article, Accenture has 500 employees in town but only about 30 are at the office on any given day.
For me, it is weird just because Accenture isn't tech. If they were tech I would at least see the appeal, even being an existing STL company.
They also aren't a start-up. With companies like Accenture and Microsoft moving in, Cortex just becomes a random corporate office park. Whatever happened to the biotech focus and the importance of proximity to WashU Med? What about the supposed lack of lab space for biotech startups? Accenture moving in means even less space available for start-ups and lab space. Most likely means those start-ups get lured to the Danforth area in Creve Coeur.
jshank83 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:06 am
moorlander wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 am
SouthCityJR wrote:
For me, it is weird just because Accenture isn't tech. If they were tech I would at least see the appeal, even being an existing STL company.
We have used Accenture with my Salesforce team before, so there are parts that are tech.

https://www.accenture.com/us-en/company ... salesforce
I'm really uneducated when it comes to how Cortex functions so I have some questions:

What's in the building with the @ sign?

How many startups currently are operating in Cortex vs Downtown?

Do TREX Arch Grants startups go to Cortex?

Is there much space available for new businesses to move into Cortex?
The @4240 building houses a number of companies such as Boeing Innovation, Husch law firm, a large digital marketing firm, capital innovators and every Thursday hosts Venture Cafe. Cortex tends to support and attract life science, biotech, and corporate innovation groups. The companies @CET building at Sarah and Forest Park are smaller and have wet labs plus bio generator. The companies in Cortex district are generally larger than the companies at T-REX. The majority of T-REX companies are software startups. There are presently over 200 companies with 400+ members at T-REX. Largest companies in T-REX are Hatchbuck, Tunespeak, SafeTrek, Boundless, Gremlin, and cultivation capital. Other tenants include Arch Grants, SixThirty FinTech Accelerator, SixThirty Cyber Accelerator, and iTen.
Notable graduates of T-REX who have employees remaining in St. Louis include Gainsight, LabelInsight, TopOpps, Juristat, and Rovertown. The accelerators Capital Innovators and Stadia Sports accelerators started in T-REX but later moved to [email protected]
Chalupas54 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 pm
Do TREX Arch Grants startups go to Cortex?
While this would be a logical progression, not necessarily a requirement. Earlier this year, mapping software company Boundless moved from Cortex to T-Rex.
Cortex revives parking garage project (https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... oject.html)
Cortex officials are bringing back a proposal for a 650-space parking garage that was paused earlier this year as officials struggled to put together the financing.

A 1,000-space parking garage was part of Cortex’s $170 million third phase of the 200-acre innovation district in Midtown, but the plans were put on the shelf along with a 200-unit apartment development.

Cortex officials are expected to be in front of the city’s Industrial Development Authority Thursday afternoon, where the authority will consider final approval and authorization of up to $25 million in TIF revenue bonds for the developer.
^ My read between the lines take is Aloft/hotel said they wouldn't move forward without CORTEX commitment to the parking garage. Wexford group probably gave a strong second to Aloft's motion that without parking garage they wouldn't go forward on next building/phase either.

Curious if anyone thinks that this will trigger the apartment block going forward once TIF is authorized?
I guess I got some answers as per PD Business article.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e-latest-3

About $2 million will serve as Cortex’s equity in financing for the $14.3 million garage, Lower said. He hopes to secure loans by the end of the year so the garage can break ground in the spring and open in late 2018 or early 2019.

It will be the first garage in the burgeoning tech district, which currently uses surface parking but is now beginning the transition to structured parking to make way for more labs and offices, Lower said.

“We anticipate there will be additional garages that need to be built,” he said. “We see about three more garages over the next five years that will need to be built, each in that range of 650 to 750” spaces.

Meanwhile, the building that will house Microsoft and other tenants should be finished this spring. Construction on the planned 150-room Aloft Hotel should begin around then and the MetroLink station will be complete by the summer.

Nor is the apartment plan dead. Lower said Cortex was still looking to pull together financing for the residential component.
I'd argue 2nd garage. There's a two level garage behind the Dupont building. Probably just not open to 4240 and 4320 workers.