St. Louis Rams

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post2516 posts

They should tear down their current HQ and build a nice shiny cylindrical shaped tower downtown. That's a good use of debt.

Maybe not gospel, but this ESPN column, written after the news about the Supersonics, doesn't even mention the Rams in its top 15 relocation candidates. (NFL teams mentioned include Buffalo, Minnesota, San Diego and Jacksonville).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3472902

throatybeard wrote:
Maybe not gospel, but this ESPN column, written after the news about the Supersonics, doesn't even mention the Rams in its top 15 relocation candidates. (NFL teams mentioned include Buffalo, Minnesota, San Diego and Jacksonville).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3472902

Like I've said, I think we're relatively safe. It's easy for the Bills to move to Toronto and the Chargers to LA. Plus the Vikings have an cleaner lease to break. Plus the Twins are getting a $600 million new stadium and I doubt the people of Minnesota are going to pony up $1 billion for a new football stadium.

Everybody pitches a fit about the public money we gave to the Cardinals and acts like we got raked over the coals by them. How much public money went to the Cardinals for Busch III: like $65 million? But then look at all the public money going into the renovations of Kaufman and Arrowhead in Kansas City. Isn't that close to a $1 billion?

^ After reading through the linked article I would guess the Rams are left off because their move will likely come further down the road. Or else the writer didn't do his research.

The Bills leaving would be one huge blow to Buffalo. It's a small market, but Bills fans are some of the most die-hard in sports.

Otherwise, most the teams mentioned seem to be Southern hockey teams that get little support (Atlanta, Florida...Nashville does alright), and lousy NBA teams.

San Diego and LA are so close, I wonder if the Chargers have considered moving somewhere halfway in between the two and renaming themselves something like the Southern California Chargers. Of course, the NFL would strongly discourage that I'm sure. They want the LA market to remain open as long as possible so every team in the league can take their turn threatening to move there unless they get a $1 billion stadium paid for by the taxpayers. :roll:

jlblues wrote:
San Diego and LA are so close, I wonder if the Chargers have considered moving somewhere halfway in between the two and renaming themselves something like the Southern California Chargers. Of course, the NFL would strongly discourage that I'm sure. They want the LA market to remain open as long as possible so every team in the league can take their turn threatening to move there unless they get a $1 billion stadium paid for by the taxpayers. :roll:

Just move to Orange County right off of the I-5. Can take fans from both markets. Do like the Stallone film "Demolition Man" and call themselves the San Angeles Charger.

The Rams right now aren't a candidate for a move, but in 10 years when the lease becomes an issue, it could be, depending on attendance figures and the like. At the moment, there's really no markets I can think of that could support an NFL franchise AND has a facility to house them. Vegas has the market but not the stadium. LA has the same problem - no team is going to move into a 90 year old stadium. NFL teams are loathe to share with a college team for obviosu reasons. Vancouver makes a lot of sense, but would they accept an NFL team in CFL territory? Does that make sense from an ethics perspective?

The real irony is that realistically, every single state could support an NFL team IF the prices were reasonable. With only 8 home games (10 if you include the forced pre-season games), any state with a metro area of over 300,000 people could logically support an NFL franchise. The issue comes in with pricing. At $100 a ticket, PLUS the outrageous PSL fees, most people can't afford to go to one game, let alone buy season tickets. Luckily, the bloated cost of running an NFL franchise all but eliminates only the largest and wealthiest of cities.

Well, it's just one game against a good Eagles squad, but the Rams look so bad that they should apply for membership in the Atlantic Coast Conference. They might give Wake Forest a run for their money.

throatybeard wrote:
Well, it's just one game against a good Eagles squad, but the Rams look so bad that they should apply for membership in the Atlantic Coast Conference. They might give Wake Forest a run for their money.

Two sh*tty games in a row...and I think Wake Forest could take the Lambs in their present state. This is beyond ridiculous.

ThreeOneFour wrote:
throatybeard wrote:

Two sh*tty games in a row...and I think Wake Forest could take the Lambs in their present state. This is beyond ridiculous.

The crowd tried to do their job and were actually pretty noisy in the first half against the Giants. But once the wheels came off in the 2nd half the Dome emptied out pretty quickly.

dweebe wrote:
The crowd tried to do their job and were actually pretty noisy in the first half against the Giants. But once the wheels came off in the 2nd half the Dome emptied out pretty quickly.

I agree - the crowd was great, and very loud at times. The support is there, we just need a (much) better product on the field.

Burwell and Miklasz both had scathing comments in their columns this morning - I love it.

DeBaliviere wrote:
dweebe wrote:

I agree - the crowd was great, and very loud at times. The support is there, we just need a (much) better product on the field.

The crowd was a little small at first, but I guess that happens when a crudload of interstates and roads are closed in parts, along with Metrolink. We just rode the storm out at Sundeckers.

BTW: the Lumiere Link is pretty cool to get from the Landing to the Dome. Much better.

Another Rams game, another loss. Is Chip Rosenbloom waiting for a sign from God or something? :roll:

As much as I want Linehan gone, we aren't going to see a wholesale change in direction for the Rams until the entire house is clean.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Jay Zygmunt, who may have set a worldwide sports record for squandered draft picks. And don't get me started on John Shaw, who really should just retire since sightings of him in St. Louis are about as rare as Elvis sightings across America are frequent. :roll:

The question is with Linehan fired, is Haslett really going to make any difference? His defense has certainly been pretty ineffective.

MattnSTL wrote:
The question is with Linehan fired, is Haslett really going to make any difference? His defense has certainly been pretty ineffective.

It's closing time and Haslett is the only chick left in the bar.

According to Bernie M this morning on the radio, it the best option for now.

-The players actually like and respect him.

-He might actually be better as a head coach instead of a DC.

-They didn't want to take Al Saunders away from the offense.

-He works until Zygmut and Shaw leave and the new GM can pick his own people.

dweebe wrote:
MattnSTL wrote:

It's closing time and Haslett is the only chick left in the bar.

According to Bernie M this morning on the radio, it the best option for now.

-They didn't want to take Al Saunders away from the offense.

-He works until Zygmut and Shaw leave and the new GM can pick his own people.

Although the defense this year has been nothing short of craptacular, I pretty much agree with that assessment. I'm not sure the Rams can pull off a better option four games into the season, so I'm okay with Haslett as HC on an interim basis at least.

DeBaliviere, I watched the Rams lowlights on KSDK last night, and I was extremely pleased to see that banner. As fashionable as Linehan bashing may be, his role in the team's meltdown is the mere tip of the iceberg as most Rams fans understand.

ThreeOneFour wrote:
Another Rams game, another loss. Is Chip Rosenbloom waiting for a sign from God or something? :roll:

As much as I want Linehan gone, we aren't going to see a wholesale change in direction for the Rams until the entire house is clean.

You got your wish.

Here's the story:

Linehan out, Haslett in

By Bernie Miklasz

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

09/29/2008

It's official: Scott Linehan is out as the Rams head coach. He was fired earlier this morning.

Hired before the 2006 season, he departs after 36 games and an 11-25 record.

Linehan will be replaced on an interim basis by defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, formerly a head coach with the New Orleans Saints.

A noon news conference has been called at Rams Park. Linehan requested, and was granted, an opportunity to address the team some time before the noon news conference.

The decision to fire Linehan was made at 2 a.m. today after a lengthy meeting involving owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez, team president John Shaw, general manager Jay Zygmunt and others.

The move to oust Linehan appears to reflect the sentiment of most fans. For example, in an online poll conducted Sunday night after a 31-14 loss to Buffalo, more than 4,400 STLtoday.com readers responded. Ninety-two percent of them said Linehan should be fired.

Continue Reading>

dweebe wrote:

OK, that's what I was thinking on why he was being promoted.

Despite the loss and current disfunctional state, that game was a lot of fun. With the nice weather there were a lot of people out around downtown, crowd was in a surprisingly jovial mood pregame, and the crowd was great until the wheels came off. I stand by my recurrent opinions: the Dome is nothing spectacular but it and Rams' fans get a bad rap.

Hopefully Bulger and Jackson will prove they are worth the money now. Linehan wasn't the reason these Rams weren't winning. There is much to fix at Rams Park and on the field.

Blzhrpmd2 wrote:
Despite the loss and current disfunctional state, that game was a lot of fun. With the nice weather there were a lot of people out around downtown, crowd was in a surprisingly jovial mood pregame, and the crowd was great until the wheels came off. I stand by my recurrent opinions: the Dome is nothing spectacular but it and Rams' fans get a bad rap.

You're right, for the first three quarters, the game was an absolute blast. The atmosphere at the dome was reminiscent of the "Greatest Show" days.

And I was glad that Chip Rosenbloom was there. It should be clear to him that the fan support is there, that people in this city love football and genuinely want the team to succeed.

There's one win, at least.