World Cup Host Candidates Announced

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
2026 WC announced 49 venues across US/Canada/Mexico. Out of the 37 venues in USA, STL is snubbed. Really pathetic how badly our civic leadership has failed. The fact that KC, Cinci, Denver, Cleveland, Indy, even Green Bay making the initial list over Saint Louis is absolutely embarrassing.

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/08/united-bid ... ld-cup-bid
RuskiSTL wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm
2026 WC announced 49 venues across US/Canada/Mexico. Out of the 37 venues in USA, STL is snubbed. Really pathetic how badly our civic leadership has failed. The fact that KC, Cinci, Denver, Cleveland, Indy, even Green Bay making the initial list over Saint Louis is absolutely embarrassing.

I thought real grass was a specific necessity to host a FIFA governed (men's) game? Surprising there are so many artificially turfed indoor stadiums on the list.
RuskiSTL wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm

I don't know - are we really considering this a failure? Basically I see a list of past/present/future NFL stadiums plus a couple iconic stadiums (Cotton Bowl/Colesium). The only two outliers are Salt Lake City and Birmingham. I don't know why Birmingham but I imagine Salt Lake City because they have an MLS team

For us to be on this list we would have to: Build a new football stadium or re-do the dome. Both sound like a terrible idea to me. A regular size MLS stadium wouldn't work for the WC.
Is anyone actually surprised? I'm not, once the NFL screwed us that was it for any World Cup in St. Louis. On the brightside (depending on how you look at it) St. Louis' Josh Sargent will probably be the star of the USMNT by then.
This just is what it is. We don't have a venue capable of hosting on any realistic level.

Even if you absolutely thought a fully domed stadium should get consideration, consider what the state of the Dome might be in 9 years. There's just simply nowhere for them to play in St. Louis.
Birmingham?

Birmingham, Alabama?
jstriebel wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:27 pm
This just is what it is. We don't have a venue capable of hosting on any realistic level.

Even if you absolutely thought a fully domed stadium should get consideration, consider what the state of the Dome might be in 9 years. There's just simply nowhere for them to play in St. Louis.
Pretty much, all the games at Busch Stadium and the Dome have been friendly games so field size doesn't matter
ricke002 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm
I thought real grass was a specific necessity to host a FIFA governed (men's) game? Surprising there are so many artificially turfed indoor stadiums on the list.
I am guessing they will bring in grass for the WC. They did here for soccer before.
framer wrote: Birmingham, Alabama?
They have a 70K seat outdoor football stadium. I doubt it actually gets picked though.

And everyone's point about us not having a suitable stadium, I agree with. Who knows what kind of condition the dome will be in in 9 years and although Busch held a World Cup Qualifier, the field isn't big enough. I doubt they make a field size exception for the actual WC. Plus, Busch isn't a big enough venue. They want 60K and up. I think only SLC isn't that size in the USA stadium list, which makes me think it won't make the final cut either.
jshank83 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 am
ricke002 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm
I am guessing they will bring in grass for the WC. They did here for soccer before.
framer wrote: Birmingham, Alabama?
They have a 70K seat outdoor football stadium. I doubt it actually gets picked though.

And everyone's point about us not having a suitable stadium, I agree with. Who knows what kind of condition the dome will be in in 9 years and although Busch held a World Cup Qualifier, the field isn't big enough. I doubt they make a field size exception for the actual WC. Plus, Busch isn't a big enough venue. They want 60K and up. I think only SLC isn't that size in the USA stadium list, which makes me think it won't make the final cut either.

In regards to who gets chosen. There will only be like 22 venues used in the WC. Obviously there needs to be several in Mexico and Canada as part of the joint bid. I would guess you are looking at about 15 American venues chosen - with several of those basically already granted to the Kroenke stadium, metlife stadium, centurylink, RFK, etc. of the worlds. So you have a small number of "open" stadium slots.

Unless STL is planning on building a NFL stadium soon or SLU/Wash U jointly decide to start playing football and build a stadium we were never going to get one of these. I don't see the Rams leaving as a failure of the city, and neither is not having a large state school in the area with football - so not sure how I'm supposed to be upset about not being on this list.
U.S. was born to host anything. It would be fun. We'll see.