MLS2STL

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post1255 posts
We have slept on it, time to move on and a time for a new focus...MLS :D

We already have one MLS owner on board.

Top 3 locations for me. (NRiverfront is not an ideal location)

1.English style- in a middle of a neighborhood.

Dont worry about traffic- most fans would bike down from TGS

2.Next to Metrolink (minus space new hospital takes)

3. The NSA Stadium.
^ I take it #1 is TGS? Never thought about that. But have thought a lot about #2... Midtown Madness! Maybe also on the other side of the elevated lanes from Busch.
#1 is a bit south of TGS....0.7 of a mile from the most southern part of TGS (Gravios Plaza)
^ ah, got it now.... the underutilized light industrial/warehouse area along Gustine. Very interesting. Maybe Companion Bakery (da bastards!) could be the official bakery!
I have to be honest, historically I haven't been a soccer fan at all. I have mocked its relative unpopularity in America and have rolled my eyes at its fanbase that stereotypically seems comprised almost entirely of hipsters, but the more I think, watch, and learn, the more I find myself getting behind this idea.
The southernmost part of TGS is actually Chippewa, a block or so south of Gravois Plaza.

If you're not crazy about soccer, how about an NBA D-League team? Memphis has the Cards' minor league team. St. Louis could have the minor league team for the Grizzlies. I think it'd be a hit here, and a solid/stable tenant for the Chaifetz (Scottrade. Would be too big).
shimmy wrote:
I have to be honest, historically I haven't been a soccer fan at all. I have mocked its relative unpopularity in America and have rolled my eyes at its fanbase that stereotypically seems comprised almost entirely of hipsters, but the more I think, watch, and learn, the more I find myself getting behind this idea.

Same here, although I've liked Women's Soccer (Brazil) for some time now. I actually made it to an Athletica game once when they were here. I too am now on board with MLS, anything really to get St. Louis off the mat. I doubt I'll get into MLS but I hope it's embraced here and draws a diverse crowd, that's always been my biggest turn off with Soccer in America in general.
^ I'm not a huge soccer fan either but I see it's value as being another thing in our toolkit to make the region fun and vibrant... I'd probably go to a game or two a year with the family... Same thing as my position with NFL, if a good plan can be presented I'd support it. And of course MLS seems a more modest undertaking,
wabash wrote:
The southernmost part of TGS is actually Chippewa, a block or so south of Gravois Plaza.

If you're not crazy about soccer, how about an NBA D-League team? Memphis has the Cards' minor league team. St. Louis could have the minor league team for the Grizzlies. I think it'd be a hit here, and a solid/stable tenant for the Chaifetz (Scottrade. Would be too big).

I can say for a fact a D-League team would be a punch in the gut, especially considering the NBA talent St. Louis is producing. Chaminade is a hotter ticket than the D-League. No I think NBA fans would much rather play host to various NBA pre-season games than be a D-League city if the NBA itself is off the table.
wabash wrote:

NBA D League? We're relegating St. Louis to the status of Erie PA, Fort Wayne IN, Des Moines IA and Sioux Falls SD?
I just think a partnership with SLU soccer would be the best for an MLS team - +money from SLU - shared services and the location is next to the metrolink, the old field can be a nice practice facility. SLU would also have to start opening their campus up a bit more. And it'll further push the cortex/grove connection... seems like a good fit? Hell - they could turn the Pevely building into Soccer Lofts/Student Housing?
pattimagee wrote:
I just think a partnership with SLU soccer would be the best for an MLS team - +money from SLU - shared services and the location is next to the metrolink, the old field can be a nice practice facility. SLU would also have to start opening their campus up a bit more. And it'll further push the cortex/grove connection... seems like a good fit? Hell - they could turn the Pevely building into Soccer Lofts/Student Housing?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/sport ... .html?_r=0

There were talks about NYC FC sharing a complex with Columbia U. Not sure if its still an option there... but a SLU/MLS partnership would be amazing. Typically, most MLS teams have a men's D1 soccer team that feeds directly into their U21 and U23 teams. Right now, Ohio State players often play their summer games in the Columbus Crew development system. I know there are other partnerships out there as well.
dbInSouthCity wrote:

We already have one MLS owner on board.

Top 3 locations for me. (NRiverfront is not an ideal location)

2.Next to Metrolink (minus space new hospital takes)

3. The NSA Stadium.

Couple of questions:

1. How big are MLS stadiums usually? Is that lot at Grand & Chouteau big enough?

2. Anyone know how much it is to buy into the league nowadays? It used to be a pretty cheap fee to join the league but I have heard its gone up significantly.
For Reference: Sporting KC Stadium (Children's Mercy Park): "The 340,000 square foot, $200 million stadium is anchored in the heart of a 400-acre mixed-use development and is situated in a way that both soccer and event attendees aid in the development’s success." Link (http://populous.com/project/childrens-mercy-park/)
^ Pretty interesting development out there... and to answer the question about the SLU owned parcel, yes, it's big enough. I also like it b/c of the access to Metrolink and there is plenty of parking spots around, too. Bars in The Grove would hop, too, and I can see a classic march.
A Quick Square-footage estimate via Google Maps... 15.04 acres for Sporting, and that single plot at Grand is 37.35 acres

The other grand lot is 15.73 acres FWIW
dweebe wrote:
NBA D League? We're relegating St. Louis to the status of Erie PA, Fort Wayne IN, Des Moines IA and Sioux Falls SD?

I like to think of it more as elevating St. Louis to the level of Los Angeles, Chicago, and Brooklyn. :?

As for MLS location, you'd have to shoehorn the stadium in there and would lose some historic (albeit dilapidated) structures, but I always thought the industrial site at the corner of Gravois & 55 would really bring the hooligan soccer supporters out in droves:

Looks like things went pretty well for FC St. Louis last year, as they finished fourth in attendance out of 24 teams (and yes, that's not a typo, Toronto FC II did have a game where they attracted 50 fans :shock:). Sactown's numbers make me wonder if they're on the short list for MLS consideration.
^Sacramento is more than on the shortlist. It's a borderline shoe-in.
SI just posted this from the MLS Super Draft -

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... es-coaches

My guess is that developments of this week will thrust us to being one of the leaders of the expansion candidates.

Everyday attracting a ownership group gets easier
Brick City FC?
River City FC?
Mound City FC?
St. Louis HuSTLe?
St. Louis United...FC?
I'd be happy with STL United or STL FC (if that ownership was involved and the club was being "elevated" rather than competed with), though I'm not typically a European style name fan, but I've come around.

With that in mind, though, I'd like to see the fans still give the team a nickname. (Which does happen in Europe—the Gunners for instance.) I'm thinking take a nod from our former hockey allies to the east and go with "Rivermen."
dbInSouthCity wrote:

This would be great!
jstriebel wrote:
I'd be happy with STL United or STL FC (if that ownership was involved and the club was being "elevated" rather than competed with), though I'm not typically a European style name fan, but I've come around.

With that in mind, though, I'd like to see the fans still give the team a nickname. (Which does happen in Europe—the Gunners for instance.) I'm thinking take a nod from our former hockey allies to the east and go with "Rivermen."

Bring back the St. Louis Gunners!
My favorite name is "Inter St. Louis". That hasn't been used in the MLS yet. United is too common.

Inter means together. What say you?