MLS2STL

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post1166 posts
This site has STL in its tier 5 " essentially eliminated" category. Considering how quiet things have been, I believe it!

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/07/an-updated ... nsion-race
DogtownBnR wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm
This site has STL in its tier 5 " essentially eliminated" category. Considering how quiet things have been, I believe it!

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/07/an-updated ... nsion-race
St. Louis was left without a stadium plan. Despite promises, no ‘Plan B’ has emerged, and St. Louis has gone from frontrunner to also-ran very rapidly
exactly so :( such a shame, I was really hoping against hope
dmelsh wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am
chaifetz10 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 pm
Translation: we aren't actually passionately dedicated to the long term success of a MLS team, we just want a subsidized team and stadium so don't want to actually have to pay for anything with our own money. If a city or county wants to give us a few hundred million to build a stadium, we'll show up faster than a speeding bullet.
You might look real silly if the rumors are true.
Just to follow up on this one now that it's been a while... I'm still feeling pretty comfortable with my analysis.
Mike Faulk from the post hinting that there may be some expansion news in tomorrows All Star pregame press conf - Does not hint at what that may be. However if it was good news I would think that a rumor would have bubbled up somewhere... and none have
Well... at least there are whispers!
10. St. Louis

There’s been nothing publicly helping St. Louis’ prospects, which remain effectively dead, aside from whispers that there are efforts behind the scenes to revive this bid. MLS clearly wants to set up a team in St. Louis and could even be helping those quiet efforts, which would elbow one of the other cities right on out of the running if it comes to anything. Even so, the public-facing indications are that St. Louis still has no chance at MLS expansion right now.
https://www.soccernation.com/updated-ml ... -rankings/
This will end up being a big missed opportunity if no one steps up here and fills this funding gap.
Interesting... https://twitter.com/WillieSTL/status/892790466697146369
@WillieSTL Multiple anonymous sources tell me to expect announcement this fall about @MLS coming to St. Louis. Wish I could share more. #mls2stl
KTRS 550 guy
Not falling for it. If there's actual smoke then some of these "anonymous sources" would be leaking to other local media members as well, and we'd be hearing about ways to get tax money in play again.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:50 pm
Not falling for it. If there's actual smoke then some of these "anonymous sources" would be leaking to other local media members as well, and we'd be hearing about ways to get tax money in play again.
Not necessarily. Tax money is such a hot button issue that it killed the last effort. They may not be ready to start leaking details on that front.
Garber said today they are choosing the first 2 after the MLS cup in December.
chaifetz10 wrote:
I'm game to be the sucker....

Team application and Bottlework site stadium announcement. Reasons will be

1) Bottleworks site is urban, cleared and under one ownership group as well as good access
2) No thrills/cheaper stadium for which Clayco will be builder and financer
3) Group will payoff McKee's share of bottlework site ownership/cut a deal with banks on his debts
4) Already within Northside TIF District and therefore a tax support mechanism already approved and in place.

Just to add to my eating crow

5) Stadium corporate sponsor with be Drury Family (Enterprise my fall back). Drury will be game because recent convention business upswing with the Rams out of dome, Arch grounds improvements, ballroom expansion if it goes forward as well as soccer stadium fits into their landing development
Apparently every city has representatives there. So it must not be 100% dead here.
dredger wrote:
chaifetz10 wrote:

1) Bottleworks site is urban, cleared and under one ownership group as well as good access
3) Group will payoff McKee's share of bottlework site ownership/cut a deal with banks on his debts
4) Already within Northside TIF District and therefore a tax support mechanism already approved and in place.

5) Stadium corporate sponsor with be Drury Family (Enterprise my fall back). Drury will be game because recent convention business upswing with the Rams out of dome, Arch grounds improvements, ballroom expansion if it goes forward as well as soccer stadium fits into their landing development
Why would we build a stadium next door to an abandoned one?
^ Because the dome is still part of the convention center and being utilized as such. In addition the space will most likely be upgraded to be more convention and large concert friendly.

Second, MLS wants urban soccer specific, outdoor, grass field stadium as far as every other new stadium proposal.
ImprovSTL wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 am
More media covering it:

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/08/03/ ... is-soccer/
Land give away aint happening if the site is still 22nd street, by federal law MoDOT (state of MO) cant give away that land. It can be sold or leased at fair market value...for sale thats $8-10 million.
dredger wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 pm
chaifetz10 wrote:

I think it'll still be at the same location because of the Union Station guy being in the ownership group, and the city has to at some point redo that interchange for the NGA, mine as well loop it into another project.
I heard from credible sources two weeks ago that's it's a more than 50%, close to 75%, chance of happening. After the tax defeat it was less than 5%.
Asked it MLS is fully aware of all the behind-the-scenes stuff going. Yes they are.They want St. Louis to happen. So any announcement of a stadium is pretty much (wiggle word) an announcement of a team.
shadrach wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:34 am
I heard from credible sources two weeks ago that's it's a more than 50%, close to 75%, chance of happening. After the tax defeat it was less than 5%.
Asked it MLS is fully aware of all the behind-the-scenes stuff going. Yes they are.They want St. Louis to happen. So any announcement of a stadium is pretty much (wiggle word) an announcement of a team.
Why didn't the other ownership group step up after the first one failed? Did they also want a bunch or tax money? Didn't they even offer to cover what the tax payers didn't want to cover?
At this point, it's better to just wait and see what is presented. This one is being played close to the vest and I doubt we heard anything till it all gets approved by all parties. Only then will it become public.
Deadspin.com: Is MLS A Ponzi Scheme?
http://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617
It all makes the long line of candidates eager to pay MLS’s ever-growing expansion fees—in 2005, you could land a franchise for a mere $10 million—a bit puzzling, says Szymanski: “Why would you buy something for $150 million which is basically giving you a share of losing $100 million a year?”

More importantly, if you’re an MLS fan or a city considering dropping big bucks on a soccer stadium to lure one of the umpteen new teams: What is the end game here? Can MLS continue to expand indefinitely, or is it a bubble destined to burst?
^This has been my feeling all along.
framer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:33 pm
^This has been my feeling all along.
I think the owners are banking on a large TV deal renegotiation in 2020 or so, can't remember the year. I mean for NFL that's pretty much where they make all the money. If MLS keeps growing (USL seems to be growing very well) then I could see that happening
I just don't see soccer ever really catching on in the US.
framer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:49 pm
I just don't see soccer ever really catching on in the US.
I'm at fifty fifty chance of MLS catching on. I think Joelo stated the fact that NFL and I believe pro sports in general is about TV and radio revenues, whether it be the large NFL mega deal and or local cable/radio deals that feed Cardinals.

Soccer has a large enough following, along with NCAA/soccer club presence and strong youth sports program(s) that it should be at least on par with NHL and NBA in terms of number of teams and revenues, viewership, IMO. However, I have to agree that the recent spike in franchise fees isn't sustainable and does suggest a Ponzi scheme in the making versus building the TV and radio viewership revenues to survive as a league. League won't survive on expansion franchise fees and a number of cities, taxpayers have made it clear that they won't support that model either..
The hope full part for St. Louis. The ownership group pulls in support from other pro sports owners, specifically the Cards and their should be enough corporate support without a competing NFL team to make a privately financed no thrills stadium work. In terms of location, still love the West Downtown next to Union Station plan. In terms of financial reality I can see a Bottlworks site proposal.