Detroit Homecoming - Let's do it here

Discuss anything urban that's pertinent to our understanding of the USA.
Has anyone heard about Detroit Homecoming? It sounds like an ingenious concept that St. Louis could pull off with the right community partners. Now in its 4th year, Detroit Homecoming has generated tens of millions of dollars in development from expats who were re-introduced to their hometown.

The website explains it much better than I can:
http://www.detroithomecoming.com

So who would you put on the invite list?
Yes! I'll send this off to the STL Partnership.
stlgasm wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 pm
Scott Bakula and Phyllis Diller?
stlgasm wrote:
Jon Hamm, Ellie Kemper, Karlie Kloss, Jenna Fischer, Cedric the Entertainer, Andy Cohen, James Gunn, Max Scherzer, Jeremy Maclin, Michael McDonald, Phyllis Smith, Scott Foley.
And it's not limited to celebrities and entertainers. Who are some high-profile St. Louis natives in other industries (i.e. Danny Meyer)...
Jack Dorsey and Jim McKelvey off the top of my head.
^ right, the whole point of the event is to get Detroit ex-pats to buy into the "we're back in biz" storyline and invest; the actors, etc can help but the biz celebrities even better.... so e.g. for STL Danny Meyer can talk about why he decided now was the time to open in STL; same with Jack and Square, etc. etc. The trick is identifying Saint Louis expats in a variety of fields who can deliver some jobs here, whether its folks who left for Silicon Valley or an athlete who could open a gym or whatever.

I think we could even do this more locally with getting some County asses into the City.
You guys- we need to really do this! How do we get the ball rolling? Who do we need to pitch to? STL Partnership is great, who else? The last thing we want is to turn in to the usual old white guy from Town & Country type of gig. It needs to be inclusive, authentic, and not the typical "we have a free zoo!" fluff. I say we reach out to Travis Sheridan- I can't think of anyone better to spearhead this.
stlgasm wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm
You guys- we need to really do this! How do we get the ball rolling? Who do we need to pitch to? STL Partnership is great, who else? The last thing we want is to turn in to the usual old white guy from Town & Country type of gig. It needs to be inclusive, authentic, and not the typical "we have a free zoo!" fluff. I say we reach out to Travis Sheridan- I can't think of anyone better to spearhead this.
Whoever can get it going, pass it along. I think this is a great idea.
STLhistoryBuff wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:55 am
stlgasm wrote:
Jon Hamm, Ellie Kemper, Karlie Kloss, Jenna Fischer, Cedric the Entertainer, Andy Cohen, James Gunn, Max Scherzer, Jeremy Maclin, Michael McDonald, Phyllis Smith, Scott Foley.
Should note,
Karlie Kloss, Andy Cohen, Ellie Kemper, Jenna Fischer and Phyllis Smith all maintain residents or apartments in the St. Louis area. Phyllis Smith still lives in St. Louis.
stlgasm wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm
Yes. This needs to happen. You also could contact the CVB. Mayor's office wouldn't be bad either.
Also to add to my last post, Karlie Kloss lauched her fashion line in St. Louis...She would be an excellent spox for this..