CityArchRiver

The design competition and remake of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, AKA the Arch grounds.
First unread post613 posts
Aw, c'mon! That McDonalds was genuinely awesome. Yes, when I ate there as a kid (any number of times) and indeed even as a young adult I DID feel like Tom Sawyer or Huck Fin. Sitting there at night eating a quarter pounder and watching half the world float by . . . that's what memories are made of. That river is incredible and we don't engage with it enough. I truly truly miss the riverfront of my youth: Not only was there the McDonalds and the Burger King (which had previously been a fancier sit down place), but the Goldenrod, the Inaugural added real life to the Becky Thatcher and the heliport. And there used to be a railcar diner to boot. And if you go far enough back there was even an actual rail line down the levy. I saw 4449 there as a kid. I still think we lost something when the TRRA tore that up, as it could have been absolutely the ideal starting point for an excursion train. To heck with starting the thing in the station. Start it on the blooming levy, convince UP to give you trackage rights down the industrial lead (yeah, not going to happen, but . . . it was a nice idea), take it up a newly city owned Carondolet branch to . . . oh, never mind. It's a dumb idea. But it was neat seeing more than just cars and water down there. Of course . . . if CAR hadn't blinking closed Washington . . . that still irks me. That street was literally history. It felt good. It was literally the last uninterrupted connection between downtown and the river. Should never have been allowed. Anyway, I digress. Yes. I liked the McDonalds. It's a cherished memory. Seriously.
Today's water level. May 5, 2017. Flags are flying but the flag base is underwater. Here is a link to the live cam:
https://www.earthcam.com/usa/missouri/s ... _riverview

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stor ... ily16.html
McDonald's closes restaurant on St. Louis riverfront
Nov 7, 2000, 5:21pm CST Updated Nov 7, 2000, 5:21pm CST

The McDonald's restaurant that sits in the shadow of the Gateway Arch has served its last Big Mac.

The company announced that the Riverboat McDonald's closed Monday. The restaurant, which sat atop a barge and was designed to look like a stern-wheel paddle boat, was a fixture on the Mississippi River below the Arch for 20 years.

McDonald's issued a statement saying it "has made a business decision to close its location at 322 South L.K. Sullivan Blvd." because the structure "is in need of extensive renovation, which is financially not justifiable at the present."

The company statement said all the employees at the location have been offered jobs at another location.
Yep, I miss it too, and would love it if the extra traffic C+A+R feels the renovation brings to the riverfront makes something akin to this feasible again.

-RBB
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 12:36 am
Aw, c'mon! That McDonalds was genuinely awesome. Yes, when I ate there as a kid (any number of times) and indeed even as a young adult I DID feel like Tom Sawyer or Huck Fin. Sitting there at night eating a quarter pounder and watching half the world float by . . . that's what memories are made of. That river is incredible and we don't engage with it enough. I truly truly miss the riverfront of my youth: Not only was there the McDonalds and the Burger King (which had previously been a fancier sit down place), but the Goldenrod, the Inaugural added real life to the Becky Thatcher and the heliport. And there used to be a railcar diner to boot. And if you go far enough back there was even an actual rail line down the levy. I saw 4449 there as a kid. I still think we lost something when the TRRA tore that up, as it could have been absolutely the ideal starting point for an excursion train. To heck with starting the thing in the station. Start it on the blooming levy, convince UP to give you trackage rights down the industrial lead (yeah, not going to happen, but . . . it was a nice idea), take it up a newly city owned Carondolet branch to . . . oh, never mind. It's a dumb idea. But it was neat seeing more than just cars and water down there. Of course . . . if CAR hadn't blinking closed Washington . . . that still irks me. That street was literally history. It felt good. It was literally the last uninterrupted connection between downtown and the river. Should never have been allowed. Anyway, I digress. Yes. I liked the McDonalds. It's a cherished memory. Seriously.
I miss it too. Cheesy can still be great and this was both.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 12:36 am
Aw, c'mon! That McDonalds was genuinely awesome.
Oh, I agree; I thought the McDonalds was great. I just think its sad that our riverfront has fallen so far that we spend more time remembering what was rather than enjoying what is.

BTW, I still refuse to call it anything other than Wharf Street.
I've waffled about Leonor Sullivan. Wharf street seems a better description. But there are so very few streets in town that still have their original names. And Sullivan seems to be someone worthy of some memorialization. Meh, If you say Wharf I'll know what you mean. But it's always been the levy to me. (Even if it's a wharf not a levy.)
I think the lack of restaurant options on the Arch grounds are a result of NPS restrictions and not necessarily CAR incompetence. This is why CAR designed accommodatons for food trucks on LKS Blvd and near the Eads Bridge. In addition they were probably afraid of appearing to compete with private businesses. Hopefully once construction is done we will see more commercial activity happen around the grounds but the trouble City Garden has had with their restaurant shows that it's not guaranteed to be a slam dunk.
I think once the new visitors center opens and the Kiener Plaza is connected - we will see another fast food option arrive in Hardees old spot and maybe several others. Right across from the arch and plaza now you have: Caleco's, TGIFridays, , Angelo's Talverna, Starbucks, Imo's, Yo My Goodness, 1 blk off - Jimmy John's, STL Bread CO (Panera), Chili Mac Diner, Tortilla Grill.

It's not a food desert at all and the parking and overall entrance park to the Gateway Arch is much much better.
^ The two hideous parking garages still need to go, to be replaced with dining, retail, and other things people actually need.
Replacing those ugly husks with a couple new towers in such a prominent location would work wonders for the vision of downtown. The Gateway Mall is cool and now has even more modern amenities, but those parking garages make the whole area seem shabby.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am
Replacing those ugly husks with a couple new towers in such a prominent location would work wonders for the vision of downtown. The Gateway Mall is cool and now has even more modern amenities, but those parking garages make the whole area seem shabby.
Even replacing just one (preferably the eastern one) would be a huge help.
Even making them visually more appealing would be a huge help. Such as a green ivy wall or the metallic free flowing wall that Centene has in Clayton.
It was a rather modest plan, but it's too bad this didn't happen:

Anyone have images of the model of the office towers that were supposed to be built on the garages? I saved it years ago, but a quick search through my files didn't produce anything. Buried somewhere...

A remodel of the facade and new construction on top since the structural capacity is already there would make an incredible difference. Or, at this point, start fresh.
Representatives of the agencies leading a $380 million renovation of the Gateway Arch grounds have announced another delay in finishing the project initially to be completed in 2015.

Specifically, the improved underground Museum of Westward Expansion set to open in October is now expected to be finished by “summer 2018,” the Gateway Arch Park Foundation, formerly CityArchRiver, said in a news release.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 03941.html

:shock: :shock:
^So maybe another year of Fair St. Louis in Forest Park then? (Which people generally seem to be taking to)
No, The new Visitor's Center will be open by May or June.
matguy70 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 am
No what?
bprop wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 am
matguy70 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 am
No what?
I think it was no the arch should be done by 4th of July so they could have it on the arch grounds. My guess is there will be more small delays pushing it until late summer 2018. Forest Park seems to be popular for Fair St. Louis
joelo wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 am
I think it was no the arch should be done by 4th of July so they could have it on the arch grounds. My guess is there will be more small delays pushing it until late summer 2018. Forest Park seems to be popular for Fair St. Louis
From what I've seen and sought to verify several times, the consensus is that Fair St. Louis is in Forest Park until further notice. I'm sure there will be a big push to get it back to the arch grounds, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way. IMO, I have a slight preference for the Arch grounds. I think it's better for parking and MetroLink too. The MetroLink situation at FP/DBV is handled well but it's a nightmare nonetheless.
Its going to go back to the Arch grounds. You don't drop hundreds of millions of dollars and then not use it for the largest event of the year for the city. Plus how can you beat air shows and fireworks on the river?
Here is a video of what to expect in the new museum under the Arch.

I don't know~~. I think I'm going to be prepared to be underwhelmed.
pat wrote:Its going to go back to the Arch grounds. You don't drop hundreds of millions of dollars and then not use it for the largest event of the year for the city. Plus how can you beat air shows and fireworks on the river?
I guess panoramic videos showing actors in covered wagons rolling West would be interesting, but I would rather see genuine historical objects such as a real Louisiana Purchase Treaty document signed by Napoleon or the Liberty Bell of the West in Kaskaskia which was a gift to Illinois from France and is older than the Philly bell. Or something real from Jefferson or Lewis & Clark. This is supposed to be a national monument for the Western and Plains states added by Jefferson, not just St Louis.
gary kreie wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 am
Today's water level. May 5, 2017. Flags are flying but the flag base is underwater. Here is a link to the live cam:

I never realized before that you can see the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus right over the top of the court house.
MarkHaversham wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 am
gary kreie wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 am

I never realized before that you can see the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus right over the top of the court house.
Only from this angle. Don't tell the Crusaders. They destroyed the original even though it was was of the seven wonders of the ancient world. This one, not so much. I like this cam since it is realtime video and you can see the water moving and look for, say, dead bodies floating by from the comfort of your home.