Kingshighway Bridge Replacement

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
quincunx wrote:
Last I heard this was to start after Grand reopened. What's the status of this?

Maybe they're waiting for the Ellendale/River Des Peres project to also be done?
There's something about those stairs and that caged-off access path on the Kingshighway Bridge that I've always really liked. Not sure why, really.

Maybe because it's a leftover from a point in our City's history where there were varied points of entry into a neighborhood (versus the designed "main roads as gateways" structure). Or maybe because that's one of the few pieces of St. Louis' infrastructure that reminds me of the obvious, straightforward (and sure, ugly) utility found often in cities like, say, Chicago. It kind of has that feeling of something that was built out of purpose, not aesthetics.

I always thought it'd be cool to reactivate this area with a station stop on a De Soto ROW Metrolink line. Using the existing line, riders could get off and go upstairs to a Kingshighway bus or head straight into the Hill along Daggett. Just off the line there's the absolutely gorgeous (SPACE-designed) Oliva event space and Rigazzi's (possibly the most well-known Hill restaurant). A couple blocks more puts riders onto Marconi and the options increase from there.

Mock-up of Metrolink arriving at Kingshighway/The Hill station stop.

The buildings on the right are, I believe, some sort of pet supply/food industry now. If they ever opted to move though, well, some market-rate, transit-oriented loft apartments and streetside retail would be a delight...
Kevin B wrote:
There's something about those stairs and that caged-off access path on the Kingshighway Bridge that I've always really liked. Not sure why, really.

It always reminds me of a Damon Runyon story.
quincunx wrote:
Last I heard this was to start after Grand reopened. What's the status of this?

This project is still on schedule. Right of way acquisition and final design is underway. Since it crosses a railroad that always adds a lot of time with regards to getting agreements from the railroad. I'd guess construction would start by next Spring.
Isn't this the one with the skatepark beneath it? These guys are trying to find a replacement park in a different part of the city once it's gone: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/894 ... s-missouri

If it doesn't get funded on KickStarter, maybe RallySTL can help. Best of luck to them.
They're still working towards replacement. Are they going to have to demo anything to meet the Federal standards? Is going from 6 lanes to 4 out of the question?

KSDk - Crumbling, busy bridge needs to be torn down

Because, new federal guidelines call for wider lanes and shoulders, among other changes, which means the city has had to buy property from all the surrounding business owners.

"It just makes the process very long. It's not like building a bridge in a cornfield where you have free reign and can do whatever you want," Waelterman said

http://www.ksdk.com/story/opinion/2014/ ... /10567023/
City got about $12 million for this from the MoDOT bridge replacement program for non MoDOT bridges thru EWG....anyone know if that's the total project cost or partial?
Probably out of date, but the article in the first post of this thread says

The city is preparing to begin the planning, engineering, design and property acquisition phase of the $22 million project.

The federal government will pick up most of the cost.

A smaller portion will be paid by Union Pacific, which owns the railroad tracks that run under the span.
hearing a January letting now....it was suppose to be June 2014, then November 2014 but i think this one is set in stone. :D
I was heading to Kingshighway and Manchester area this afternoon and it wasn't too bad coming from the south.... I'd recommend not taking Shaw though b/w Vandeventer and K-Way at least for now.... perhaps McRee or just going on up to Manchester. Heading back east on Manchester to south on Tower Grove was a breeze,
First drive over the other viaduct (aka the bridge of many lights) in 1994. It on;y cost $6.6M then. The old one started collapsing and they had to close it to rebuild. You can see what used to be on Cadet Ave and a bit of the Grove.

phpBB [media]
Bridge is almost completely down. They're still working on the approaches a bit but you can see almost straight though at this point.
6th Street Viaduct planned for Los Angeles. Target completion: 2019. Source

Drone shots of construction progress:

http://www.constructforstl.org/slide-sh ... rete-pour/
Four lanes to open Saturday