Blowing through Red Lights

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
After having been gone for a year (work sent me to Boston), and back for 4 weeks, I've noticed on the way to/from work there are a lot of people running red lights.

And I don't mean chasing a yellow. There will be several cars stopped at the light, then a car will drive in the parking lane, or even left turn lane, and blow right through the light.

I drive the streets from Kingshighway and Skinker between Lindell and I70. Union and MLK seem to be the worst....but those are the most frequent for me.

I have a dash cam and am starting to keep track of the time, place and plates of the offenders....but what do I do with it?

Regardless...be careful out there.
You're not the only one who's noticed. Myself and others have brought this up in the crime thread before. My recommendation: submit it to one of the news stations and get them to do a story on it, like 5 on your side or something. It's becoming a huge issue, in my opinion, as people are becoming more and more aggressive / careless. I see it occurring on almost a daily basis around Delmar / DeBaliviere.

It's an enforcement issue, but I just don't think police care that much at the moment.

Also, let's not forget the amount of expired dealer plates out there too. On my way into work today I saw one that expired in JUNE!
I've mentioned this on the forum regarding downtown streets in particular. Morning pedestrians need to be careful as traffic lights mean nothing. It's just another example of the lawlessness that seems to permeate much of the City as well as Metrolink. Even if someone isn't getting shot or stabbed, there's this sense that no laws will be enforced.
I see that all the time downtown, too. More enforcement is definitely needed.

But nearly equally as much, how about some updated traffic light timers? All these tiny streets get what seems like 90 seconds or more of green, like Pine/Locust crossing 14th.

Then there are the turn arrows EVERYWHERE! People turning from Olive to 16th don't need a turn arrow. I can't even imagine a scenario in which that maneuver would require a turn arrow to complete safely. We seem to be using turn arrows more to idiot-proof driving than for actual traffic-flow reasons.
The constant blowing through red lights and stop signs makes me mad, but what makes me extremely mad is the overwhelming number of cars with long expired temp tags...this is out of control! What's worse is that for all of these crimes, the police don't seem to be doing anything about it. The lack of enforcement creates a belief that lawlessness in the City is accepted. We need to hire more cops in general since they are definitely overworked, but in particular we need way more police focused 100% on cars/traffic related offenses. I know I am not alone in this view. I see tons of people with the same complaint on Twitter, NextDoor, etc. People need to see cops pulling people over, lights flashing, etc. This creates an important visual effect for everyone, law-abiding and not, that the police are in charge and that lawlessness isn't tolerated.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:53 am
Also, let's not forget the amount of expired dealer plates out there too. On my way into work today I saw one that expired in JUNE!
yep. there's a car that's always parked near my place of employment that has a dealer plate that expired in June... of 2016.

i've been taking pictures of them as well. they're everywhere.
We almost need a Twitter account to document these... "Expired Plates of STL"

How are people not pulled over for some of these extremely expired plates?!
eee123 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:25 pm
I see that all the time downtown, too. More enforcement is definitely needed.

But nearly equally as much, how about some updated traffic light timers? All these tiny streets get what seems like 90 seconds or more of green, like Pine/Locust crossing 14th.

Then there are the turn arrows EVERYWHERE! People turning from Olive to 16th don't need a turn arrow. I can't even imagine a scenario in which that maneuver would require a turn arrow to complete safely. We seem to be using turn arrows more to idiot-proof driving than for actual traffic-flow reasons.
Remember, Francis Slay was going to fix this in... 2005. In fact, he said they were very close to finishing at that time.
I pause than 'blow thru' the red lights repeatedly on Delmar between Sara and DeBaliviere. The lights are timed for 1959 traffic. We sit and sit and sit at a red lights. Take Belt at Delmar, there ain't a vehicle on Belt in sight and yet we sit and sit and sit at the red light.
hebeters2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:41 am
I pause than 'blow thru' the red lights repeatedly on Delmar between Sara and DeBaliviere. The lights are timed for 1959 traffic. We sit and sit and sit at a red lights. Take Belt at Delmar, there ain't a vehicle on Belt in sight and yet we sit and sit and sit at the red light.
Reddit Redlight Hudson!
hebeters2 wrote:
Can you please stop doing so? Not to get into the whole slippery slope fallacy here, but the more and more people do so even on stretches where it may not be a big deal, others will start copying the practice as it becomes more accepted. You may stop at DeBaliviere, but the majority of others keep doing so all the way down to the Loop itself. It's becoming very dangerous to cross the street on Delmar as people think it's ok just just "slow and go".
hebeters2 wrote:
I pause than 'blow thru' the red lights repeatedly on Delmar between Sara and DeBaliviere.
yeah, not acceptable. one of these times you're going to kill a cyclist or a pedestrian. just take a deep breath, settle down, and wait for the light. consider other people.
I'm also getting particularly tired of cars going around me at stop signs on one lane (each way) roads. Seems like it happens to me or someone I can see a couple of times a month or so. Don't know what can be done about it if there aren't cops near by, but it's frustrating and often scary.