Bicycle City

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
Joe Holleman wrote a piece for the Post a couple of weeks ago that said St. Louis moved up a notch on the Bikleague.org report cards on bike-friendly communities. From Bronze up to Silver.
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/colu ... aaaff.html

I went to the web site, and it is pretty comprehensive about creating report cards for cities and providing suggestions on how to move up the ranks. They have 4 levels -- Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze and, I guess, nothing for cities that either don't apply or don't meet even the Bronze level criteria. Here is the report Card for St. Louis:

http://bikeleague.org/sites/default/fil ... uis_MO.pdf

I was curious about how where other big cities stood with respect to bike-friendliness as reported by this site. I looked up the status of the core cities of the 50 largest US metros and made a small table. Here it is. I'd say St. Louis is in pretty good company.

Just today, Joe Holleman wrote a new piece for the Post about local biking and hiking and Trailnet's new magazine.
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/colu ... 5aafb.html

Moving up in the biking world.
Curious if there is any consideration of surrounding areas outside of the main city for these rankings. Since there are a number of suburbs that have rather bike friendly communities and are increasingly connecting with each other. One of the near term ones is connect up the trails around River Des Peres which will as a result have off road bike paths connecting South City to large parts of South County as far out as Kirkwood.

There is definitely a few noticeable gaps that would be nice to see filled in. Mainly deal with making some bridges along the rivers bike friendly. and eventually have a gap-free route of off road and bike friendly road routes going from the city to the Katy Trail. Especailly as in the near future the 2nd statewide trail gets built.
imperialmog wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 12:40 pm
eventually have a gap-free route of off road and bike friendly road routes going from the city to the Katy Trail.
It's not that far from being a reality. The central corridor is very bikeable from downtown STL to Forest Park to downtown Clayton. The toughest part from there is how to get to Creve Couer Park. Once at Creve Couer Park, a paved, completely-separate-from-car traffic trail exists from there to the Katy.
Yes, some parts through clayton need to be worked out. There is the Centennial trail part along 170 that's a nice piece to it. (note there is discussion on sorting out the intersection with Delmar since its a bit complicated) Also they are working on connecting Creve Coeur Lake with the Maryland Heights Aquaport now which will at least get it closer. Also there is plans on using some utility corridors as bikeways since they can be nice native grassland areas.

I know where I live out in Washington there is several bike trails being planned soon to go with existing riverfront trail (half is closed now for new bridge construction) and bike lanes along 100. One is go upriver to connect some parks together and another is go along a creek through town connecting schools, parks, and neighborhoods together. Also the river bridge being built will have a bike path along it and the construction of a connector route to the Katy Trail. There is starting to be talk too on some sort of route to try to connect to the trailhead of the Rock Island Trail in Beaufort which could in time provide access from the City of St. Louis to the start of that trail.
Actually, one nearly already does. The riverfront trail extends across the Chain of Rocks bridge and basically links up with the Madison County Transit Confluence Trail, if you accept some shared alignment across a lightly used bridge. After that you can bike up to Alton on dedicated trail and cross back over the river in a bike lane. After that the trail isn't quite finished, but it surely seems to me as though the West Alton Trail is aiming to link up with the Katy Trail at Machens. There's still a gap, of about seven miles that needs to be plugged with 94. That's . . . non-trivial. But solvable. Of course, that's a bit out of the way, but it's all there. And it will be solved quickly, I expect.
imperialmog wrote:Curious if there is any consideration of surrounding areas outside of the main city for these rankings. Since there are a number of suburbs that have rather bike friendly communities and are increasingly connecting with each other. One of the near term ones is connect up the trails around River Des Peres which will as a result have off road bike paths connecting South City to large parts of South County as far out as Kirkwood.

There is definitely a few noticeable gaps that would be nice to see filled in. Mainly deal with making some bridges along the rivers bike friendly. and eventually have a gap-free route of off road and bike friendly road routes going from the city to the Katy Trail. Especailly as in the near future the 2nd statewide trail gets built.
ST Louis City is one of seven communities in Missouri considered bike-friendly by this group. On the map at this link, click on or touch Missouri and scroll down.

http://bikeleague.org/bfa/awards

Article about bike lanes in the Twin Cities.

Based on my recent trips back to Minneapolis, I have to say that on street bike lanes have reached a point where they are really having an impact on auto street capacity in towns that have growing populations. It is remarkably different than Saint Louis. I say that as someone who has biked 3,000 to 4,000 miles per year on the streets of Saint Louis for a number of years now.

http://www.startribune.com/spread-of-bi ... 2153753/#1
vollum wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:41 am
Article about bike lanes in the Twin Cities.

Based on my recent trips back to Minneapolis, I have to say that on street bike lanes have reached a point where they are really having an impact on auto street capacity in towns that have growing populations. It is remarkably different than Saint Louis. I say that as someone who has biked 3,000 to 4,000 miles per year on the streets of Saint Louis for a number of years now.

http://www.startribune.com/spread-of-bi ... 2153753/#1
I moved recently to St Louis and commute by bike. I think the city has a lot of potential in terms of bike lanes:; most streets/avenues are extremely wide and there is not a lot of traffic. I do think the cycling infrastructure is fantastic in terms of bike lane coverage when taking into account that you don't see a lot of people biking at all (except maybe on weekends). I wish they would go for separated bike lanes.