St. Louis to Kansas City Hyperloop

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
A hyperloop between St. Louis and Kansas City?

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... yptr=yahoo
No.
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be neat to have but not in this century.

chriss752 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:24 pm
It would be neat to have but not in this century.

There's quite a lot of century left. Okay. 1917. Best transit time from NY to Paris . . . typically about three days. St. Louis to Kansas City . . . oh, four hours or so maybe. Yeah, never mind. We're not getting the hyperloop. ;-)
It was only 66 years from the Wright Brothers' first flight to a man on the moon.
I don't get the no comments. Like no it won't happen?
Don't expect Missouri to pay for it anytime soon. State is completely backwards when it comes to any kind of advances in transportation
If it's a big enough advance I don't know that the state will NEED to pay for it. A mix of private enterprise and federally guaranteed loans might. Of course, the state might WANT to pay for it for economic development reasons. I believe those loans that helped Uncle Peter build his first line paid off rather handsomely indeed, even after graft and corruption took their usual cuts.
I love seeing this investigated, and if it does come to fruition hopefully it's a precursor to an STL-CHI Hyperloop line*. Honestly, I've no idea if the financials can be worked out to be any sort of feasible thing, but a national Hyperloop network has the potential of being to the US what high-speed rail is to Europe today. Building an STL-KC segment could be the start of that, and it's great that MO is at the forefront of the exploration.

*There's nothing proposed for the Hyperloop One Global Challenge, but it would make all kinds of sense to connect the STL end of the line to Chicago, and students from UIUC in Urbana are working with SpaceX on their Hyperloop competition.

-RBB
As an aside, I'm not sure I understand why this is news now? The finalists (including the STL-KC proposal) were announced in January.

-RBB
They want to build a transcontinental network right? We should just wait for them to propose a KC to Chicago route. Sound familiar?

moorlander wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 pm
They want to build a transcontinental network right? We should just wait for them to propose a KC to Chicago route. Sound familiar?

Yeah, I had exactly the same thought.

-RBB
Missouri won't hesitate to bypass St Louis to feed Chicago, but Illinois would never allow a line straight East from St Louis, since St Louis could gain Center of America hub-building status.
Pedestrian Observations - Loopy Ideas Are Fine, If You’re an Entrepreneur
There is a belief within American media that a successful person can succeed at anything. He (and it’s invariably he) is omnicompetent, and people who question him and laugh at his outlandish ideas will invariably fail and end up working for him. If he cares about something, it’s important; if he says something can be done, it can. The people who are already doing the same thing are peons and their opinions are to be discounted, since they are biased and he never is. He doesn’t need to provide references or evidence – even supposedly scientific science fiction falls into this trope, in which the hero gets ideas from his gut, is always right, and never needs to do experiments.
https://pedestrianobservations.wordpres ... repreneur/
KC discussion on Hyperloop...
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20269
The VECTORR Prototype
On a secluded vineyard in Mendocino County, we've built a 2,095 foot, 1/6 scale prototype demonstrating 2%, 6%, and 10% grades and a 180° curve. The pilot model operates at speeds up to 30 mph which equates to a full-scale speed of 180 mph. We hope you enjoy these videos. All videos are shown at normal speed without any artificial special effects.
http://www.flightrail.com/our-prototype.html
Interesting. For over 100 years, trains have used rails to 1) support the train weight, 2) serve as the propulsion and braking friction contact, and 3) for lateral direction control (via outside wheel flanges which keep the train on the track in turns, but allow lateral switching to other tracks.)

I was wondering if someday very high precision sensors and positioning control trains might decouple those 3 functions. It looks like this train decouples the first 2. The track supports the weight and flanges direct lateral control, but propulsion and braking don't rely on the steel rails friction. So I assume the flanges will still make the screeching noise as they scrape the sides of the rails as they go around a bend. (I'm not sure how Maglev handles lateral control.)

Ideally, someday, lateral sensing and control could be so precise that the wheels could turn with flanges never touching the rails, except in emergencies.

(And, in theory, way beyond that -- if you could make the system so safe and redundant that you could retract flanges, except in emergencies, and ride on top of the rails, then you could eliminate flange slots for no-click high speed switching. Then, in theory one could replace all major highways with rails for cars.)
This just blows my mind. I wish him the best but I can forsee so many logistical obstacles, lawsuits, delays, etc

moorlander wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:24 am
This just blows my mind. I wish him the best but I can forsee so many logistical obstacles, lawsuits, delays, etc

Biggest hurdle might be, "verbal govt approval." That can't hold much weight.
How long will this take to build?? It seems like it will take decades.
This will not get built.
Elon's a smart dude, but I really would've given that company a better name if I were him.
San Luis Native wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 pm
Elon's a smart dude, but I really would've given that company a better name if I were him.
Do you not "get" it?