St. Louis to Kansas City Hyperloop

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
ricke002 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:05 pm
San Luis Native wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 pm
Elon's a smart dude, but I really would've given that company a better name if I were him.
Do you not "get" it?
Oh, I get it. Nothing is more boring than a magnetically elevated train speeding though an evacuated tube located underground... Puts me to sleep just thinking about it.
San Luis Native wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm
ricke002 wrote:
San Luis Native wrote:
Elon's a smart dude, but I really would've given that company a better name if I were him.
Do you not "get" it?
Oh, I get it. Nothing is more boring than a magnetically elevated train speeding though an evacuated tube located underground... Puts me to sleep just thinking about it.
Elon named his Tesla car models S3X (with "Y" on the way). He's just punny that way.
San Luis Native wrote:
ricke002 wrote:
San Luis Native wrote:
Do you not "get" it?
But also it is a tunnel boring company. Like, it bores tunnels. It's Sorkin-esque.
MarkHaversham wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 pm
San Luis Native wrote:
ricke002 wrote:

Do you not "get" it?
Elon named his Tesla car models S3X (with "Y" on the way). He's just punny that way.
I got the Boring pun, but I'm lost on this one. Help me out...
jstriebel wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 am
MarkHaversham wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 pm
San Luis Native wrote:

I got the Boring pun, but I'm lost on this one. Help me out...
Sex - Sexy
This will not get built.
Agreed. No way in hell it gets built.

Even the wording of the tweet "verbal govt approval" means nothing....

Tesla's are amazing cars but Musk is 1-step below a charlatan, imo.

These tweets part of the magic-show to distract from the car company problems. Tesla is a cash-furnace and woefully behind on production.
spreadsheetwizard wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:45 am
This will not get built.
Agreed. No way in hell it gets built.

Even the wording of the tweet "verbal govt approval" means nothing....

Tesla's are amazing cars but Musk is 1-step below a charlatan, imo.

These tweets part of the magic-show to distract from the car company problems. Tesla is a cash-furnace and woefully behind on production.

They seem to be pretty on-schedule with the model 3. Will be curious if they can ramp on to the numbers they said by the end of the year
I've been curious about his solar panel roof tiles. They sound too good to be true.

Also, anyone who would build a multi-billion dollar factory in the middle of a freaking desert has to be lacking some plain old common sense.
The factory is powered by solar. A desert makes sense.

And he started a company that can land freaking rockets. I wouldn't doubt everything he says
I understand the solar power part, but any factory requires lots and lots of water. And I don't get the logistics part either.

But yeah, I know the guy's super smart. Just sayin'.
We didn't win.

https://hyperloop-one.com/hyperloop-one ... -challenge

Routes Include: US: Cheyenne-Denver-Pueblo; US: Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh; US: Miami-Orlando; US: Dallas-Houston; UK: Edinburgh-London; UK: Glasgow-Liverpool; Mexico: Mexico City-Guadalajara; India: Bengaluru-Chennai; India: Mumbai-Chennai; Canada: Toronto-Montreal
Cheyenne-Denver-Pueblo? Seriously? The Denver splooge-fest continues. "Hey, none of the other places along this route matter but Denver so Denver Denver Denver!"
urban_dilettante wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 pm
Cheyenne-Denver-Pueblo? Seriously? The Denver splooge-fest continues. "Hey, none of the other places along this route matter but Denver so Denver Denver Denver!"
It does look like CoDOT has some involvement, so I'm guessing that one was pretty much in the bag from the get-go.
Interesting
A hyperloop route between St. Louis and Kansas City is under serious consideration

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/3/1641 ... lity-study
I'm not sure which region has the worst deal. KC or STL.
According to the map...

St. Louis 'stations' are
1. Wildwood
2. Lemay
3. Clayton / U. City
4. Downtown St. Louis Airport

Kansas City 'stations' are
1. Gardner, Ks
2. Harrisonville, Mo
3. Almost KCI

St. Louis gets 4 stops, with 3 (Clayton, Downtown Airport, Lemay) close to the city/urban areas. No airport or Downtown stop.
Kansas City gets 3 stops, with all 3 in rural/sub-suburban areas.

I hope the stops are just preliminary and open to debate.
addxb2 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm

I think anything to do with a hyperloop is preliminary and open to debate.
The feasibility study should assume 200-300MPH and not 700+ not yet demonstrated. And State of MO should not be suckered into funding this. Only contribute enough that applies to a contingency plan (if this fails) using the right of way for a new I70, let investors fund the rest.

That said, MO should go after freight first. STL and KC are in the top 5 as freight rail centers. It makes sense to use this for freight the first few years and work out any risky kinks and perhaps extend to Chicago/STL and Dallas/KC (other top 5 freight centers). Then target passengers when proved out. The Feds ultimately may not allow passengers until tested with freight for a while anyway and the KC/STL link probably makes more sense than most other links being considered (ultimately tying Chicago/Dallas with freight and KC/STL inter-modal sites).
addxb2 wrote:
I'm not sure which region has the worst deal. KC or STL.
According to the map...

St. Louis 'stations' are
1. Wildwood
2. Lemay
3. Clayton / U. City
4. Downtown St. Louis Airport

Kansas City 'stations' are
1. Gardner, Ks
2. Harrisonville, Mo
3. Almost KCI

St. Louis gets 4 stops, with 3 (Clayton, Downtown Airport, Lemay) close to the city/urban areas. No airport or Downtown stop.

Where'd you find a map?
Another news:
https://www.inverse.com/article/37073-h ... ouri-route
I wonder if all this buzz about hyperloop has something to do with attracting Amazon...
addxb2 wrote:

Right? My other concern is how this would ever be routed into Downtown, though, without destroying some more of the city unless it is buried, which would seemingly grow the costs exponentially. We don't need another Highway 44.

I would think that Lambert would make a lot more obvious sense than Cahokia. You already have more open space there, at least in my limited thoughts, and you don't have the obstacle of crossing the Mississippi River with a giant tube. Then you have connection to the airport for connections, and Metrolink for back into the county and city.
^ honestly, due to the infrastructure i think this thing would have to function somewhat like an airport in that you take snail transportation to some point outside of the city where you board the coffin and get hurled in a virtually straight line across farmland at deadly speeds. i just don't see how there's going to be multiple stops within the city without razing a runway from Clayton to DT.
Let's just indulge in this a little further...
Lets say, Missouri gets it, builds it, and its running smoothly.

What happens to the airports? STL, KCI, and Columbia.
Does Missouri just invest in one mega, centrally located, airport (maybe Columbia) that would serve 5 million +?
Obviously this is just conjecture based off a hypothetical, however would be a good way for both of us to secure a hub and be more competitive nationally and globally.
addxb2 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 pm
Let's just indulge in this a little further...
Lets say, Missouri gets it, builds it, and its running smoothly.

What happens to the airports? STL, KCI, and Columbia.
Does Missouri just invest in one mega, centrally located, airport (maybe Columbia) that would serve 5 million +?
not sure why anything would happen to the airports. you still need an airport if you're going anywhere other than St. Louis, Columbia, or KC. Hyper Loop replacing airports will never happen.
Found this article today. It actually has the stops for it listed off MODOT's proposal.

In STL

1. Airport
2. Municipal River Terminal
3. Cortex
4. BJC complex
5. Research Park Circle - Weldon Spring

I would imagine they would have to pick Cortex OR BJC. I can't see a reason to have both stops so close.

http://www.startlandnews.com/2017/11/fa ... hyperloop/

Modot proposal: http://www.modot.org/Road2Tomorrow/docu ... CEntry.pdf