St. Louis Streetcar

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post197 posts
:roll: Matt Schindler with partnership for downtown was on StayedTuned tonight for discussion on transportation, said his best guess is 2020...

Other items: Joe Edwards said loop trolley opens spring 2016 worse case

Scott Ogilive interrupted the other 2 guests during the bike talk for the most important question I wanted to hear the answers too...status of the bike/ped bridge over MO River ...and ranted about stl counties lack of bike/ped support
That means he doesn't expect it to be funded with the 1% sales tax. Which makes me wonder what transit will actually be proposed by EW-Gateway?

Jeff Rainford also said the city also had a long range transportation plan that was 70% transit, bike, and ped but there was basically no regional will or money to fund it.
^ I suspect we'll see that enhanced express bus service Metro is trying to mislead the public on by calling it BRT as the main transit feature. Also, re ^^, I don't think Scott was constantly interrupting Todd and Jennifer and it was a very good discussion. Not sure why the attack on him; he is very knowledgeable. Todd Swanstrom was also very good as usual.
Someone needs to go on the show and just shout "North South Connector" every 5 minutes for the next few years
Mainly because at the end, Nolan was asking the other 2 about the new possible bike/ped bridge over the Missouri and where that was and Scott jumped in and went on about how the county needed to support bike/ped or something and then they ran out of time and the bike/ped bridge never got answered.
goat314 wrote:
That means he doesn't expect it to be funded with the 1% sales tax. Which makes me wonder what transit will actually be proposed by EW-Gateway?

Jeff Rainford also said the city also had a long range transportation plan that was 70% transit, bike, and ped but there was basically no regional will or money to fund it.

Well the region is suppose to get between $1-2billion sales tax over 10 years, lot can be done with that I guess we will see what will actually be done in the next month or 2
^^ well that type of thing tends to happen on live broadcasts; again, it was a very informative segment.
Boyle Metrolink station, Loop Trolley, Lindell/Olive Streetcar, and maybe a BRT line? St. Louis 2020 transit is looking pretty good.
wabash wrote:
Boyle Metrolink station, Loop Trolley, Lindell/Olive Streetcar, and maybe a BRT line? St. Louis 2020 transit is looking pretty good.

I think all but streetcar would be done by summer of 2017
That's all fantastic but the faster we get a N-S MetroLink or a N-S streetcar, the better. I might say let's do a streetcar first because it will be cheaper, won't it?
Ebsy wrote:
Someone needs to go on the show and just shout "North South Connector" every 5 minutes for the next few years

I'm sorry did you say South County Connector? :D
^ head smack! If that ugly thing rears its head with the sales tax list, I'll plotz.
roger wyoming II wrote:
^ head smack! If that ugly thing rears its head with the sales tax list, I'll plotz.

I doubt that will make the sales tax list cut, just look at the principles that the list will be based on, new road cannot possibly score high....( but like all gov things, can it appear after the back room dealing)
^ I haven't had enough caffeine yet so my mind is a bit foggier than normal... will Saint Louis County and City be able to decide on their own what their allocation will be for or will approval be subject to the votes of Missouri's EWG members?
KC Streetcar is leading to another infill project:

44 unit residential over retail.

The $8 million project is being proposed by Linden Street Partners, a development and investment firm based in Boulder, Colo.

Scott Richardson, one of two managing partners for the firm, said he found the project site, which has been a surface parking lot for more than 40 years, after walking the entire streetcar starter line route, which will run between the River Market and Union Station on Main Street, in July 2013.

Andrew Ganahl, the other managing partner, said he and Richardson had witnessed young professionals gravitating back to urban cores served by light- and heavy-rail mass transit in markets like San Francisco and Washington, D.C. They decided to look for development opportunities in downtown Kansas City after reading about its new streetcar system, he said

Olive Boulevard could use a number of these. I was hoping Amendment 7 would move Saint Louis Streetcar forward in a substantial fashion... oh well.
Once again I'll call out those in city hall, etc who are supposedly trying to "sell the city"

If this guy is looking for opportunities to capitalize on young professionals' tendencies then why not invite this guy to walk from Downtown down Olive toward Cortex/SLU/CWE. Take him on a walk from Busch Stadium to Soulard or Lafayette Square, or on Washington from Downtown to Grand. If it's surface lots he wants, we've got about 650 of them for this guy to have a field day with. If he looks at them and can give reasons why they are not feasible, fine, but at least invite him.
Metro doesn't like this project at all, they think it's a total waste of money and think for the $270m they can a brt that's much better and faster and more routes
^ Metro doesn't even know what BRT is.... its proposal is a load of b.s.

As for SLS, it wouldn't be a waste of money, but I'd recommend taking a look at doing real BRT instead of laying track.... use that extra savings to build a south segment.
I say get rid of the BRT & focus more on LR/SC ..
SC is cheaper & just as reliable as the LR only thing its slower however will it be in the heart of the city which would be great.
Metro link could use an expansion or 2 for sure.
Right now the more logical would be SC but if they want to aim high then go for LR.
If Metro thinks they could do better (I'm dubious), then they ought to propose such a thing and attempt to move forward funding it.

But they don't and won't because urban transit isn't a priority for them. The St. Louis Streetcar may be flawed, but at least they're doing something for transit in the city. That's far, far more than Metro can say.
It's shocking how quiet and empty the four or five lanes of Gravois are even during rush hour. It could be reduced without issue. Please run a damn train back and forth on Gravois from downtown to at least Grand, for starters. The whole area would be invigorated!

Here's your stops:

Chouteau
Park or Lafayette
Russell
Jefferson
Arsenal
Cherokee/Grand
leeharveyawesome wrote:
It's shocking how quiet and empty the four or five lanes of Gravois are even during rush hour. It could be reduced without issue. Please run a damn train back and forth on Gravois from downtown to at least Grand, for starters. The whole area would be invigorated!

Here's your stops:

Chouteau
Park or Lafayette
Russell
Jefferson
Arsenal
Cherokee/Grand

If a streetcar were installed, how long would it take approximately for a passenger to get from Grand/Gravois to downtown?
^same time as a bus and longer then car ...it has to stop at lights and then stop to pick up
dbInSouthCity wrote:
^same time as a bus and longer then car ...it has to stop at lights and then stop to pick up

I was thinking it could be faster if you also redo the traffic lights with configurations for street cars like they do in other places. That and many of the lights could use better timing in the first place.
True. But again is the investment in a streetcar worth to shave off 3-4 min in travel over doing a brt or a normal bus.