New Life in the Grove....

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post543 posts
imran wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:04 pm
A representative from HOK said that the 4 family building was not historic, it just happened to be in a national register historic district (eye roll)
That's not how it works. That's not how it has ever worked. Architects should be better that that. Reminds me of the crap The Lawrence Group pulled with Pevely.
imran wrote:
I attended the meeting. MFH said that they have budget constraints and hence cannot renovate the 4 family building as well. When asked if they would allow another developer to go for it instead, they said they want to have a campus feel (how I hate the word) and have separation from nearby property owners.
A representative from HOK said that the 4 family building was not historic, it just happened to be in a national register historic district (eye roll)
Wait, so who gets to decide this? Doesn't it have to go before the PRB?
imran wrote:
I attended the meeting. MFH said that they have budget constraints and hence cannot renovate the 4 family building as well. When asked if they would allow another developer to go for it instead, they said they want to have a campus feel (how I hate the word) and have separation from nearby property owners.
We can't afford more "campus feel." It's bankrupting us!
The point isn't so much that's it's historic; it's that it can be a productive land use and contributes to the street wall on Tower Grove. And good-looking.
Did they borrow SLU's playbook?

Did they say why they like this location? Separation from nearby property owners is antithetical to being in a city.
The lady said all the key words like vibrant neighborhood, bringing back a neglected property and being a community partner etc.

I spoke about the importance of Tower Grove as a connection between revitalizing neighborhoods and the need to be very careful we do everything to avoid gaps and dead space in the streetscape. One of the board members stated that he could not see any compelling reason to demolish the building along Tower Grove Ave.

They make their recommendations after a closed session of board members so I don't know what the final word is on this.
"Campus feel" and "separation from nearby property" aren't adequate justifications for demo. Not in this neighborhood.

I'm all for a mixed-use neighborhood with office and light industrial jobs sprinkled throughout, but not if those jobs are in fortresses that require destruction of some of the charm and character that makes it desirable in the first place.
And to top it all, aren't they a non for profit? So a large swath of increasingly desirable property would taken be off the tax rolls. They should just carve out the properties facing Tower Grove and let organic development renovate them when the time is right.
^Non-profit and a musical chairs, leaving another spot empty in the city.
From nextSTL

* Update with Park Central Development Committee vote:

Denial of demolition for 1408-1410 Tower Grove Avenue
Denial of curb cut for “flexible community area”
Approval of demolition for 4245, 4227 4223, and 4219 Hunt Avenue
Approval of converting Hunt Avenue to two-way street, pending traffic study
That's good news, right? I don't think the homes on Hunt are really architecturally or visually appealing. Saving that four family was huge though. I'm sure the Iron Works could be turned into something else, but who is really actively looking for a huge swath of one-story construction that probably needs environmental cleanup (just a guess)?
Yes, it is good news. The homes on hunt are removed from the main drag and are architecturally non-descript. Also happy about one less curb cut and the possibility of one less one-way street.
^ tbh I wouldn't mind it if they just said heck with it and remained downtown where I think they should be. Stinks downtown already lost Saint Louis Community Foundation to the County.
STLrainbow wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:25 pm
^ tbh I wouldn't mind it if they just said heck with it and remained downtown where I think they should be. Stinks downtown already lost Saint Louis Community Foundation to the County.
That would be my preference. This seems like kind of a waste, given how hot the Grove is right now.
Richard Callow‏Verified account @publiceyestl 9m9 minutes ago
More
#PresBd denies demo permit for 1408-10 Tower Grove.
A clamp-down on tax breaks in The Grove:

http://www.constructforstl.org/tax-brea ... ay-be-cut/
They're asking to demo the 4-fam at Oakland and Kingshighway.
quincunx wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 8:48 am
One of the 4 families that has had signs on them, as if there were any intention to rehab them?

Very clever holding onto the land until it appreciates. I guess it's also realistic in that I have no idea who wants to live right on that strip of Kingshighway.
Yes, It seems the strategy is demolition by neglect.
Are they still wanting to do the hotel project?
bwcrow1s wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:53 am
quincunx wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 8:48 am
One of the 4 families that has had signs on them, as if there were any intention to rehab them?

Very clever holding onto the land until it appreciates. I guess it's also realistic in that I have no idea who wants to live right on that strip of Kingshighway.
Not sure if it is really about being clever but the fact that Drury has the financial resources and ability to hold onto property for the long term.

What interests me is the fact that held onto the property and now you got one hotel already built, Aloft being built in CORTEX, another hotel that looks like it will happen on FPP for all intents & purposes and a phase II hotel for the Armory. Getting to quincux question, I wonder if Drury waited to long and now is reacting to the market or simply looking to clear the site & market it for under whelming apartment project.
quincunx wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 1:07 pm
Yes, It seems the strategy is demolition by neglect.
Are they still wanting to do the hotel project?
I won't believe Drury is building anything until the site is cleared, the foundation laid and at least two stories up.
Let them tear this buiding down. Combine this vacant lot with vacant lots across the stree and alley, the new street closure, throw in some landscaping, this area will look a whole lot better for the minimum amount of effort drury inn is puttting forth.
The Grove sign was destroyed a few hours ago by a garbage truck. KMOX reporting it may not be replaceable.
The garbage company has to have insurance... seems like it should be pretty easy to get the company and their insurance to pay for repairs or a replacement.
Which one a east or west?
More on that: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 8d0e0.html

Also, I believe I saw some work being done on one of the houses on Kingshighway near Oakland. It was just a small crew. No dumpsters or anything. Did see a ladder, I think. It could have been minor upkeep stuff. Not sure. But it caught my eye.
Driving by today, I noticed that all the houses at kingshighway and Oakland have been carefully boarded up. Even the brick columns that had the beginning of brick theft are now clad in wood. Hoping this means someone is atleast acknowledging their post-renovation value. Would love to see this intersection humanized.