Grand Center

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post673 posts
Shadrach makes a good point. Lawrence Group/Bull Moose kick off phase II and now your talking big news for Grand Center
shadrach wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:55 pm

So excited about more green space!!!!! Hopefully they'll tear down the Humboldt building for a parking lot so people have a place to park when they go to the park.
To be fair, this site is already a plaza/open space. I think the new park is a huge improvement, and should add visible energy to Grand Center.
I like the park design. Very modern for the up and coming area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting; The Kranzbergs are making a major donation towards a permanent home for Circus Flora. Originally, this was to be east of Powell Hall, but now they say the site is still undecided.

From the Post Dispatch:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/circ ... 7e145.html

And here's Nextstl's original post from last year:

https://nextstl.com/2016/05/grand-cente ... nce-green/
The former Bruno David Gallery building on Washington has been painted gold. It's part of an on-going art project involving the building as it undergoes demolition. The bricks will be integrated into a ground-sculpture on the adjacent lot and PXSTL next door.

http://pulitzerarts.org/exhibition/a-way-away

I really wish that they would preserve the facade. Just the facade itself would be a pretty interesting sculpture and when the area turns around a new building could be built behind it
They pine for landscaped plazas and parking garages while buildings of real use value are being thrown away.
^The building was condemned for serious structural issues. Bruno didn't want to leave, but he was forced to vacate with basically no notice. Sure, pretty much any building could be saved, but this one really isn't worth the expense. Something else will take it's place someday.
framer wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:44 pm
^The building was condemned for serious structural issues. Bruno didn't want to leave, but he was forced to vacate with basically no notice. Sure, pretty much any building could be saved, but this one really isn't worth the expense. Something else will take it's place someday.
It's too bad they're not preserving the facade so they can build behind/around it, like the Rothschild project on Olive.
If and when Grand Center becomes a legit neighborhood, we will regret the loss of these small scale opportunities. Facades like this is where granularity and neighborhood interest comes from.
Nice write-up on Music Record Shop's new space in Grand Center:

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/m ... 446a7.html
Also in the ZACK building, breakfast/lunch spot Turn has opened.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/d ... 60bfc.html
For better or for worse, the new garage is now open.

It's still ugly.
Update on the art project titled "A Way, Away", which is re-using the bricks from the now demolished Bruno David Gallery:

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/old ... s#stream/0
Rats. Stage Left Diner (nee City Diner) has closed. Since the new owners took over, this place was never the same.
Hopefully a courtesy diner comes in and show em how to do a diner right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do we have any updates on Bull Moose HQ?
framer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:29 pm
Rats. Stage Left Diner (nee City Diner) has closed. Since the new owners took over, this place was never the same.
there simply aren't enough people living or working near Grand Center to sustain any businesses there. the turnover rate is terrible.
urban_dilettante wrote:
framer wrote:
there simply aren't enough people living or working near Grand Center to sustain any businesses there. the turnover rate terrible.
Best Steakhouse and Vito's have both been there for decades. And Sunrise Chinese come to think of it. Magnolia's has been there more than a little while now. And the Church's. Not to mention Jazz at the Bistro. There's plenty of folks for all kinds of business: students, stagehands, blue collar workers, rich symphony goers, ordinary working stiffs, even a few white collar office types. I never did make it to Stage Left, but I've been eating at Best and Vito's off and on for a long long time. Even ate at that Church's last fall.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 am
urban_dilettante wrote:
framer wrote:
there simply aren't enough people living or working near Grand Center to sustain any businesses there. the turnover rate terrible.
Best Steakhouse and Vito's have both been there for decades. And Sunrise Chinese come to think of it. Magnolia's has been there more than a little while now. And the Church's. Not to mention Jazz at the Bistro. There's plenty of folks for all kinds of business: students, stagehands, blue collar workers, rich symphony goers, ordinary working stiffs, even a few white collar office types. I never did make it to Stage Left, but I've been eating at Best and Vito's off and on for a long long time. Even ate at that Church's last fall.
I agree, the right concept could do very well here.
City Diner was doing fine too. Something happened when Steve Smith took over the space. For one thing, they didn't have a liqueur license for months after re-opening. That's never a good way to start.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 am
framer wrote:
there simply aren't enough people living or working near Grand Center to sustain any businesses there. the turnover rate is terrible.
I've heard LoRusso's there on Grand has a different rent agreement due to all the turnover that happened previously. It sounds favorable to the restaurant hence why they are only open before/after Fox/Peabody performances
framer wrote:
Whoa. Honestly, I didn't see this coming at all. Although this explains why their chef that crafted the new menu left this spring (a friend told me he likes his new job better though, forgot where he went).
If you had not been since their revamp, it was actually really good. The Wednesday Chicken and Waffle special was a personal favorite.