The Bottle District - entertainment/dining

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
First unread post1695 posts
Well, the Bottle District is basically McKee's now. What he plans to do with it is anyone's guess -- since, you know now, he has yet to release any semblance of a hard plan for his Northside Regeneration project.

The Board of Aldermen reversed its position from last week and overwhelmingly supported attaching the Bottle District to Northside Regeneration so that McKee can gain a paltry (in the grand scheme) $1.4 million in state land assemblage tax credits. Aldermen Villa, Ogilvie and French opposed.

The orange is the boundaries of the Northside Regeneration project, the blue is the Bottle District (just barely connected at Cass) and the red is St. Louis' Near North side, east and west of Tucker. Someone else can amend the map to show exactly which parcels within the project zone McKee and his companies own.

All of Near North -- save for Columbus Square's Neighborhood Gardens residential and industrial east of I-70 -- is within the confines of the Northside redevelopment zone. It'll be interesting to watch which side of I-70 progresses better -- individual efforts such as Farmworks and the Cotton Belt on the riverfront or the city-supported Regeneration zone to the west. Personally, I'm excited by the riverfront projects/ideas (just keep McKee far away from it...)
^ Fundamentally, I think both McKee and the individual projects on the northside riverfront have a big issue until they can at least agree on one thing. The area will do so much better if the raised section of I-70 comes down and replaced with a blvd. Unfortunately, I don't think you see any advocates from the players involved either it be Mayor/Alderman, McKee, CVC/Rams, Pinnacle really stepping forward. Instead the heavy work is really being left to CitytoRiver advocating meaningful changes.
Maybe I'm missing something...per the PD article, Alderman Bosley led an effort to vote against this because no one talked to him about the plans. Then McKee or someone else spoke to him, explained the plans and now he voted for this...so what are the plans? Why did Bosley change his vote?
Possible answers:

1. He was offended no one kissed his ring even though the project was partially in his ward. McKee spoke to him, his ego was appeased, and he voted yes. The details of the plan are irrelevant.

2. It's an obviously awesome plan but it can't work unless the details are super-secret. Unlike the other massive silver bullet plans that failed as they collapsed under their own weight, this one is fool-proof. Trust me and don't be concerned about expanding a project with a plan that can only charitably be called "vague" and has yet to produce any substantial benefit.

3. ?
It's an obviously awesome plan but it can't work unless the details are super-secret.

Woo Hoo LOL. Great one dude...
rbeedee wrote:
1. He was offended no one kissed his ring even though the project was partially in his ward. McKee spoke to him, his ego was appeased, and he voted yes. The details of the plan are irrelevant.

No need for other theories.
Alex Ihnen wrote:
rbeedee wrote:

No need for other theories.

Yup, sounds about right to me.
With the good news about Ballpark Village approaching where it should've been 10 years ago, do you think the Bottle District will come back in a Phased Project like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chriss752 wrote:
With the good news about Ballpark Village approaching where it should've been 10 years ago, do you think the Bottle District will come back in a Phased Project like this?

No.
dweebe wrote:
chriss752 wrote:

No.

Double no.
chriss752 wrote:

-RBB
Since this was the project that had a high-rise that could rival the Arch in height I'm very curious does anyone from here believe we'll ever see a high-rise 600 feet or taller
Not anytime soon, but considering Cincy, KC, Omaha, Des Moines, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Milwaukee all do it's certainly within the realm of possibility.
I'm sure it'll happen, but when is anybody's guess. There's a current trend to stick some kind of cheesy "spire" on top of buildings, thereby getting an extra one or two hundred feet of height. That's one way of building tall, without having to lease a massive amount of square footage.
I dunno if we'll ever see a 600' tower but I think we'll see a legit skyscraper again at some point (which I think of 400' or about the height of the historic SW Bell/ATT tower). Gilbert possibly is looking at a 60 story building for Detroit (it should know soon on exact plans for a prime site) so that gives some hope for rust belt skies.

One site I'm curious about is the Drury's in the Landing... if BPV does really well and with the momentum in lower Wash Ave, perhaps they'll decide to pull the trigger on that 30 story or so tower they were talking about publicly a couple years ago.
Some thoughts and questions regarding the current lot

A- Who owns it?

B- Do they have any plans for it?

If owned by the city, I would like to see them issue an RFP for the site.
I believe it's now part of McKee's NorthSide holdings.
Another page in the saga between Uncle Paul and the city. What a joke.
Upsetting. This is a huge blank canvass. Would love to see what responses an RFP would get.

chaifetz10 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:28 pm
I believe it's now part of McKee's NorthSide holdings.
I could be mistaken but thought the Northside tax incentives were expanded to incorporate the parcel and McKee is one of a group of owners including Clayco, Bob Clark. Lot more faith in Clayco but see it is as a very long play on their part. In the meantime, Clayco's investment and faith in Delmar is a huge win for the city.
Chalupas54 wrote: Upsetting. This is a huge blank canvass. Would love to see what responses an RFP would get.

I would rather wait on RFP then be disappointed. Just too much else has to happen in the foreseeable future whether it be NGA being built & whether convention upgrades happen to BPV phase II, Jeff Arms or Railway exchange to refilling ATT One Center that will all be good but a lot for a slow growth region. In other words, see an underwhelming cheap apartment block and or some cheap town homes as a response to any RFP in near term