Missouri History Museum

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
Went to the History Museum a few days back. Here are a few unedited pics from my trip:

-RBB
RBB wrote:

-RBB

2010 huh? Looks like we have our work cut out for us.

Dirigibles and gondolas. That's what St. Louis has been missing! :lol:

Thanks for the pics.
jlblues wrote:
RBB wrote:

-RBB

2010 huh? Looks like we have our work cut out for us.

Dirigibles and gondolas. That's what St. Louis has been missing! :lol:

Thanks for the pics.

Is that the MW Tower in the background?

^I thought it might be the Ballpark Village parking garage, but it is in the wrong direction. :P

I didn't know that Lee and Grant thing was showing now. I'll have to get over and check that out. Thanks for the pictures.

What is showing of Grant and Lee? Sounds funny but its a serious question.

JuiceInDogtown wrote:

http://www.mohistory.org/exhibitions/special/105

JuiceInDogtown wrote:

I went today. It was alright. It's a lot of paintings, a few coats, and a sword here and there. If you're really into history, and the Civil War inparticular, you should go. But if you're not really into it, you probably shoudln't spend the ten bucks to get in.

That's just my opinion, though.
March 21, 2015 - July 19, 2015
Many of the most fascinating buildings to ever dot the St. Louis landscape have been lost to time, disaster, or destruction. In Lost Buildings of St. Louis, the stories behind several of these buildings will be brought back to life.

Some of these buildings were monumental landmarks. Some were everyday places for family and community. Still others were one-of-a-kind oddities. The dates of their destruction range from the early 1800s to post-2010.

The memories of these lost buildings have faded, but rediscovering them can tell us much about the changing values St. Louisans have pursued throughout the city’s history.

ImageImage

Bring a box of tissues
Now that's my kind of history show. Much better than re-living the World's Fair yet again.
Just saw this and decided to log into my blogger account that's the same idea; bygonestlouis.blogspot.com has right around 80,000 pageviews since 2008, so I'm guessing the exhibit will be relatively popular. Wonder if someone at MHM saw the blog and decided to go with it.
You just reminded me I need to get over to the History Museum. Sometimes we take our great institutions for granted...

Thanks for the pix!
We're just a baseball town, remember? Who cares about museums? None of my tax dollars better be blown on that waste of public resources. Let the museum go.

But seriously, I look forward to that exhibit. Very cool.
Cameron Collins, who publishes the blog Distilled History, is just now delivering his brand new book called "Lost Treasures of St. Louis."

What a great book. It is a big book -- coffee table size -- full of photos and stories about all kinds of things (buildings, teams, restaurants, etc.) that used to exist in St. Louis but are no more. Even the Rams made the book. Here is a link to his Facebook Blog -- Distilled History. You get a discount if you buy through his blog.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... %20history
^ thanks! saw your post and ordered me one!
Cameron delivers the book in person signed if you buy from his Facebook Blog. -- Distilled History. I talked to him briefly when he delivered mine on Saturday. Then Sunday morning on turned on TV and he was on Channel 2 talking about his book on their local Sunday morning show. He said it should be in bookstores soon also. He moved here from New York 20 years ago and got interested in St. Louis History. He volunteers at the Campbell House museum.
Strange Cameron used a mocked picture of the Munger Moss Motel iconic sign on Route 66 in LEBANON. It is still going strong and not in STL tho. Quite odd.
gary kreie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 pm
Cameron delivers the book in person signed if you buy from his Facebook Blog.
oh, no! i feel terrible that he'll have to drive to Fenton to deliver my book. unfortunately we haven't closed on our house in the city yet. also hope he's not insulted that I requested an unsigned copy. he'll probably just drive by and chuck it out the window.