SP's Current Photography

Showcase the beauty and grit of St. Louis in pictures.
The Mississippi from Bellerive Park

Around Carondelet Park

Chouteau's Landing

Carondelet

South Grand

Had an afternoon to myself, so I went to Midtown and very briefly Downtown and snapped a few.

Great pics SP! Honestly the photography forum has been so void of activity recently I forgot it existed. But I'm glad I checked it tonight and am thankful for your photos. This is why I used to spend hours on this forum. Keep them coming!
hey, Poet, you should go post your pics over at Skyscraperpage.com. there's an STL photo thread drought going on over there.
Thank you both. I'm still trying to understand what I can and can't accomplish with the new camera. It's . . . a challenge. I'll see if I can't get out and get a few more soonish. And I'll keep Skyscraperpage in mind. I think I've avoided their forums because I recall them being somewhat hostile . . . but maybe that's changed. And maybe what they need is more photographs of our fair town to sell them on the place. Not that I'm the guy to do it. But well . . . Let me go take a peek.
^ yeah the "discussion" forums all turn into pissing matches, but the photo threads tend to stay civil and mostly complimentary.
We mostly stay pretty nice to our fellow artists. Valid point.
Took another trip around town with the camera yesterday evening. The weather was nice and I have a convertible, so I guess it was an excuse. But here's the results. Mostly downtown and Soulard.

This is just a touch off topic, but I'm not sure where to put it. And it is my thread, after all. ;-)

(And I did use a cheap camera.)

“...as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist ... For the moment - an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by - I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, wonderful things.”

It wasn't quite so dark as a tomb, but my camera clearly thought it was. And the white balance was apparently still set to daylight (oops), so the incandescent lights made everything almost irretrievably gold. :"> I corrected it as much as I could, but some of the photos really were beyond salvage. And I probably should have binned a few more of them. But . . . I'm almost foolishly stubborn. ;-) There are, in any case, many treasures behind those doors if I recall the contents correctly. (I was unable to penetrate beyond the antechamber this night. That [re]discovery must needs await another day.)
framer wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 am
“...as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist ... For the moment - an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by - I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, wonderful things.”
Also . . . thank you. I think. :">
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:08 pm
There are, in any case, many treasures behind those doors if I recall the contents correctly. (I was unable to penetrate beyond the antechamber this night. That [re]discovery must needs await another day.)

Yeah, you have to know the secret handshake to get in there; I've never made it myself.

I'd swear I've actually seen it open and poked my nose in and looked about. But . . . maybe I misremember. I also seem to remember a raised structure in the back of the art room and some quite institutional fluorescent light fixtures hanging down where the pendants are now. And of course I remember the closed stacks and the old brass and glass pneumatic message system the librarians used to send your requests back and forth. (This last I actually rather miss, as it was a true and quite special museum piece; a relic of a bygone era.) I've only been in there a few times since the remodel, and my memories of what it was like before that are . . . rather old. But the table and fireplace look familiar at least. And I have a recollection that the materials kept in those cases are quite special and exceptionally lovely from outside. (I've not been into the cabinets myself. I think I've been through the door in the distant past, but that is all. Though I might know someone who would know the handshake if I ask around correctly.)
Gary Kreie started a little discussion of Cameron Collins new book Lost Treasures of St. Louis. I much suspect Collins spent some time in the building above . . . and the next one: the Missouri History Museum Library and Archives.

Mogen David

Lately
For the observant, yes, that is ten minutes after closing time.

I, uh, have something of a fetish for these things anymore . . .

Farming, Fashion, and Ferries

And I think there was a discussion of treasures. The main library isn't the only building in town with secret doors, it seems. And . . . I seem to have learned a secret handshake.

Storeroom One

My word they have some strange and interesting stuff back there. I only saw the tiniest glimpse, but oh what a glimpse it was.
A few new ones . . .

Let's start with a brief excursion to Cherokee:
Stockhouse

Casa Loma Ballroom

Cinderella

A few phone shots from the post office (last fal?l):

And one from the Botanical Garden a few weeks back:

And a weekend trek to the Museum of Transport with my father:

Oh, and some operating vintage trolleys:

framer wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:31 pm
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:08 pm
There are, in any case, many treasures behind those doors if I recall the contents correctly. (I was unable to penetrate beyond the antechamber this night. That [re]discovery must needs await another day.)

Yeah, you have to know the secret handshake to get in there; I've never made it myself.

I've had the pleasure of setting foot in the Steadman Architectural Library. Absolutely worth it if you get the opportunity. That would have been about nine years ago now right when I first started working at Landmarks.
Oh, doubtless. If I ever get the opportunity again I will avail myself, I assure you. I love poring over building plans, maps, architectural renderings, photographs . . . fun stuff. The first time I found the architecture section at Ellis in Columbia I was a kid in a candy store. I didn't even know where to start. :-) Of course, even that pales next to the thrill of crawling through the bowels of real honest to goodness architecture. But it is less messy. ;-) (Not sure why, but the climate control always seems a bit dicey in attics, sub-basements, and access tunnels.)
Malls aren't usually my thing, but I was over at the Galleria for minor phone issues, so it was a good place to test the camera on said phone. (It was kind of the selling feature of the phone, though it's a few years old now.) You know, the place ain't bad lookin' for all that.

Though I'd never noticed the moonrise over the obelisk before. Kind of ominous.

After that I hopped on Metrolink . . .

And rode up to the airport. Struck me as an omission that I didn't have any good shots from inside the terminal. Just . . . never took many pictures there when I flew. Will fix that next time.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UeKjfS]Image

I do hope this sticks around a while and isn't shuffled off in the newest re-branding event.

This one was from a week ago when I was there to pick up a friend, but somehow it feels more general than specifically aviation. It's . . . oh . . . who knows? I hate it when my pictures cross genres and I'm not sure where to put them. ;-)

"Life After People"?
Well, possibly. It was eight o' clock on a Monday night. In T1. That said . . . I waited a lot. :"> I'm not really a people photographer normally. I make a few exceptions, but not too many. At least one former girlfriend actually complained about this. (I'd always shoot the landscape, but only rarely her in it. I've taken that complaint to heart, but not in time for that particular relationship.)
A very small update today: The Robert A. Young Federal Building. This is the large brick art-deco structure at the corner of Spruce and Tucker. Turns out this originally belonged to the TRRA, who called it the St. Louis Mart and Terminal Warehouse. For a time it apparently housed their offices, warehouse and exhibition spaces, and a large club. Per the GSA they sold it to the Army in 1941, who then sold it to the GSA in 1961.

ImageRobert A Young by David Ackerman, on Flickr
Seems I haven't updated here in a while . . .

The Garden in June:
(I'm kind of torn about whether to include some of these, but I suppose it's a big part of what makes our town what it is.)

A landmark of a different sort . . .

Donut Drive In

Down at the History Museum one night last month . . .

Skylight

Spirit

Vision

One Hundred Sixty Seven Plus One

One shot from the giant naturalization ceremony a month ago . . .
(Slightly off topic again, but I really like this picture.)

Sea of Nations

And what can be more urbanist than some skyline shots?

B Side

Midtown

Clayton