Humphrey's to be demolished; reincarnated

New and changing stores, restaurants, and businesses in the City of St. Louis
Humphrey's bar near SLU to be demolished

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... user-share

Perhaps of interest to this website specifically:

Squitieri also wants the city to give him a break on the amount of parking required at the bar site, which has room for only a few cars. He said in a letter Thursday to Alderman Joe Roddy, whose 17th Ward includes the bar, that a study shows 91 percent of Humphrey's customers are students who walk from SLU and nearby areas.

The city requiring parking that a developer doesn't even want is an amusing twist on a recurring theme in St. Louis development stories.
I'm sure that people who have fond memories of the old Humphrey's will not be happy, but I like the new look and investment. And the owner seems to have his head screwed on right with regards to parking. Now, will this help keep Laclede a through street between Grand and Vandeventer? My fear is that SLU will lobby to close this street with the new dorms.
This would be a great update for the corner, especially considering the added foot/bike traffic to and from The Foundry and its associated GRG infrastructure additions/upgrades. Hopefully Smoothie King & Dunkin are real options for the retail.
wabash wrote:
This would be a great update for the corner, especially considering the added foot/bike traffic to and from The Foundry and its associated GRG infrastructure additions/upgrades. Hopefully Smoothie King & Dunkin are real options for the retail.

I would hate smoothie king and dunkin donuts there. The college kids need a pizza by the slice place and a greasy late night spot.
I wish they'd flip it around so the two-story section faces the corner and the patio faces the rear. Great project otherwise.
framer wrote:
I wish they'd flip it around so the two-story section faces the corner and the patio faces the rear. Great project otherwise.

dont you kinda want that type of patio to face the street, as opposed to looking at a warehouse wall.
^Agreed. Seems a bit more festive and attractive having it facing the way they've positioned it.
I'd rather have street corners anchored by architectural mass. But that's just me.
I can't think of a college bar where the deck (if there is one) faces anywhere but towards the busiest street. It's advertising.
I do not like this.
My money is developer turns around and sells land to SLU....Watch. It. Happen.
I doubt that. The original owner (Janis Mangelsdorf) is still involved here to an extent and has always been hands on. Now could SLU try to pull some low blows here by challenging demolition based upon preservation review or something similar? It would be the most hysterically ironic move ever, but I wouldn't put it past them to try to gain some form of control over the situation.
whitherSTL wrote:
My money is developer turns around and sells land to SLU....Watch. It. Happen.

My sources tell me Jan actually has a first right of refusal if the majority owner tries to sell it to SLU or anyone else.
good
Also, I don't think SLU's I the market for land under Postello. They're building the new dorms to generate increased income with the property they already have. I think the voracious land-banking days may be over.
^Wabash

Good. I surely hope you're right. Best thing to happen there in decades.
STLrainbow wrote:the plan for the Humphrey's site by SLU is under re-evaluation.
the stltoday article mentions the delay is due to competition in the area, I wonder if he is referring to Foundry or another new construction bar near slu. Either way, there is no reason to change plans now unless they are going to add more to the building. I doubt that humphreys is in serious danger of losing its business to others in the area. perhaps there is too much competition to fill the retail components in the new development. anyone heard anything?
I heard today that they received an offer on the site. Potential mid-rise hotel. That's all that was said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone heard anything about Humps?
I am surprised no one has moved in to the old Calico's / Shack space - Considering that they lost Pappo's and Diablo's seems like an under served slosh joint market
mjbais1489 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 1:45 pm
Anyone heard anything about Humps?
I notice there's now a sign saying For Lease on the door.

beer city wrote: I am surprised no one has moved in to the old Calico's / Shack space - Considering that they lost Pappo's and Diablo's seems like an under served slosh joint market
Diablos closed because SLU is building a dorm on that sport.

Pappos closed because the manager was lazy. I know someone that worked there and they could have succeeded if the family member running the joint was actually wanted to be in St. Louis and/or at the restaurant.