St Louis News Media

A catch-all forum for urban discussion. If it doesn't fit elsewhere, post here.
This is more so a general thread to discuss local media happenings in St Louis.

Personally, has anyone else noticed how janky and unprofessional our news stations look compared to others, nationally? Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

What I despise though is how negative the news outlets here spin every story about the area and how pessimistic they must make everyone feel about St. Louis' future. While, yes, they should be reporting on crime and the like, it oftentimes feels like that's all they ever cover, and that they never give all the positive things happening in the region proper attention (and if they do cover them, it's typically brief and somehow still feels jaded).

While there's certainly plenty of negatives in St. Louis (the crime issue being the most prominent), there's just as much to be hopeful about. However, if the news media only ever covers one aspect, then that's all people will ever think about.
Chalupas54 wrote:This is more so a general thread to discuss local media happenings in St Louis.

Personally, has anyone else noticed how janky and unprofessional our news stations look compared to others, nationally? Good grief.

No. We usually say the opposite but I guess it depends which channel you watch. For example, there is a big difference locally between the production quality of channel 5 and 4 vs the others. What channel do you watch here?
Trololzilla wrote:Yep.

What I despise though is how negative the news outlets here spin every story about the area and how pessimistic they must make everyone feel about St. Louis' future. While, yes, they should be reporting on crime and the like, it oftentimes feels like that's all they ever cover, and that they never give all the positive things happening in the region proper attention (and if they do cover them, it's typically brief and somehow still feels jaded).

While there's certainly plenty of negatives in St. Louis (the crime issue being the most prominent), there's just as much to be hopeful about. However, if the news media only ever covers one aspect, then that's all people will ever think about.
This is pretty much right on.

moorlander wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:This is more so a general thread to discuss local media happenings in St Louis.

No. We usually say the opposite but I guess it depends which channel you watch. For example, there is a big difference locally between the production quality of channel 5 and 4 vs the others. What channel do you watch here?
Not one in particular, but look at all Kansas City stations. Their production quality is all far superior to St Louis stations.

Chalupas54 wrote:
moorlander wrote:

Not one in particular, but look at all Kansas City stations. Their production quality is all far superior to St Louis stations.

Could be. I haven't watched the Kc news recently.

I only commented because it's a running joke between my wife and I about how much better the KSDK production quality is vs other city's local news. But ksdk is on another level locally so maybe we're just spoiled. YMMV
St.Louis is ranked as the 4th worst city to live in according to 24/7 Wall Street. I'm going to go out on a limb here to get anyones opinion. Is St.Louis right now the worst big city in all of America?
One of the highest poverty rates
The highest crime rate
One of the highest drug rate
The highest STD rate
One of the most if not the most segregated cities/city.
I mean i could go on with the list and its rather ugly.
Is it dooms day for St.Louis? Is the once great City of St.Louis endangered of going extinct? Im kind of exaggerating but still there seems to be more negatives for and of St.Louis than anything else.
I honestly don't have any answers on how such a once great city has fallen beyond low with no real solution on turning everything around.
I really think the city needs to worry about the quality of life for all people in the city instead of a confederate monument and raises for police
Depressing..yes. Politically, years of Democratic control has really worked out, hasn't it? Mayor Slay should be so proud of his contribution to STL.
For the record, I don't think we should politicize this to the effect of "this is what happens when you have democrats in office" but more so a reflection of the insane aldermanic policies that occur in the city. Tax incentive reform, actual substantive policy changes, and allowing people like Paul McKee to get away with robbery (even not holding the Cardinals accountable) are what we should focus on. I really don't think this is a "democrats only" issue. St. Louis politics need an enema and people to step up who aren't afraid of change.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm
St.Louis is ranked as the 4th worst city to live in according to 24/7 Wall Street. I'm going to go out on a limb here to get anyones opinion. Is St.Louis right now the worst big city in all of America?
---
Is it dooms day for St.Louis? Is the once great City of St.Louis endangered of going extinct? Im kind of exaggerating but still
Not sure why you posted that in this thread but my 2c is we essentially have three different cities within the city -- North, Central and South -- with North just continuing to erode, Central growing and South kind of an odd mix. That's still a broad brush but I think it's important to be aware that although it's a small city it's a pretty disparate one in terms of n'hood quality of life.
I posted in this thread cause i felt it made sense with national media and its a rankings list although i opted to not copy the link and ranking of the other cities It's also in the post as well.
On the flip side all 6 flags theme parks are ranked as the best amusement parks in the country so theres bad along with the good.
St.Louis1764 wrote:St.Louis is ranked as the 4th worst city to live in according to 24/7 Wall Street. I'm going to go out on a limb here to get anyones opinion. Is St.Louis right now the worst big city in all of America?
The highest crime rate
The highest STD rate
Is it dooms day for St.Louis? Is the once great City of St.Louis endangered of going extinct? Im kind of exaggerating but still there seems to be more negatives for and of St.Louis than anything else.
I honestly don't have any answers on how such a once great city has fallen beyond low with no real solution on turning everything around.
I really think the city needs to worry about the quality of life for all people in the city instead of a confederate monument and raises for police
A lot of this list is true, but should be taken with a grain of salt. There are much, much worse places in the US than St Louis.

Baltimore has a much higher murder rate than St Louis. Chicago isn't much better.

Memphis is far more segregated than St Louis. The same goes for Milwaukee as well.

Highest STD rate is appalling and much more can be done about it. The City should really jump on this.

In terms of the drug epidemic, that problem is far reaching and not solely a St Louis problem.

Also, I think another fair assessment to look at is that St Louis, as a metro, is still healthy. We have good infrastructure, as well as air service.

Although this should be in a different thread, I agree. St Louis is going through a rough period. I believe we are at our lowest. This is the turning point, IMO. We have some absolutely massive projects underway in the city that will absolutely change our urban fabric.

St Louis has a lot to be proud of. Yes, we have our problems, but I am hopeful. I rest easy knowing we have numerous individuals in public office and civic leaders who care about this city, and actually do want it to succeed.

One more thing I think is important is the role of St Louis is general society. We are actually a very popular tourist destination, I think a lot of us forget that. The Arch is known globally. The Cardinals have fans all over the country and in Latin America. However, I think one of St Louis' most prominent beneficiaries is our famous individuals. Andy Cohen, Nelly, Karlie Kloss, Ellie Kemper, Jon Hamm, Jenna Fischer, the list is endless. These individuals are all Pop Culture A-listers, and are unabashedly proud of being a St Louisan. Andy Cohen has a St Louis skyline on the set of his show. Karlie Kloss launched her fashion line at the Pageant, and has an apartment in the city I believe. St Louisans, past and present, are shamelessly proud of their city and will go far out of their way to promote it. I think that's special, and it's often looked over. That's really hard to find anywhere else. Name famous individuals who are proud of being from Kansas City?

Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 pm
Name famous individuals who are proud of being from Kansas City?
Paul Rudd?
MarkHaversham wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Paul Rudd?

Who?

Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 pm
MarkHaversham wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Paul Rudd?

Who?

Just some movie star who is like 10x as famous as most of the people you listed.
Chalupas54 wrote:
One more thing I think is important is the role of St Louis is general society. We are actually a very popular tourist destination, I think a lot of us forget that. The Arch is known globally. The Cardinals have fans all over the country and in Latin America. However, I think one of St Louis' most prominent beneficiaries is our famous individuals. Andy Cohen, Nelly, Karlie Kloss, Ellie Kemper, Jon Hamm, Jenna Fischer, the list is endless. These individuals are all Pop Culture A-listers, and are unabashedly proud of being a St Louisan. Andy Cohen has a St Louis skyline on the set of his show. Karlie Kloss launched her fashion line at the Pageant, and has an apartment in the city I believe. St Louisans, past and present, are shamelessly proud of their city and will go far out of their way to promote it. I think that's special, and it's often looked over. That's really hard to find anywhere else. Name famous individuals who are proud of being from Kansas City?
My sentiments exactly. I may have been born and raised in NYC but I'm more proud of living in St. Louis than I ever was of living in New York.

There's so much that St. Louis has to offer; that's why it irks me so much that St. Louis has such a negative connotation and why I firmly believe that with some help, it could truly be one of the best cities in the country.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm
The highest crime rate
The highest STD rate
Long-time lurker here, but my perspective:

These “worst places to live” lists may be click-bait but they reinforce perceptions, unfortunately are directionally-correct.

Not native STL, but lived here for +10-years, moved away for 1.5-years, and moved back. First time around I knew nothing about STL history, politics, problems, potential, etc. Felt like many do that the city has “untapped, nearly limitless potential.” When I lived away, I defended and patiently explained some of constructs (city/county divide) and defended the region when Rams left. In other words, I was fan and ambassador of STL.

Now? This second go-around is different. If I had to bet on either a rebirth or collapse of STL – I’d bet on the collapse. Too many issues. Too many problems. Not nearly enough resources. If you could cut the footprint of STL region by 1/3, you’d have a chance. Politicians are terrible. They’re overwhelmed by the scope of the issues. But raising taxes is the only answer. Politicians are bad everywhere I guess, but the lack of action while the house is burning to ground is distressing.

Even acknowledging growth and development DT, city schools improvement, investment in the region, etc. It doesn’t feel like enough. The city and region neglect, atrophy has left a (seemingly) indelible mark.

Our circle of friends, many of them lifers, talk about unification/merger with county (i.e. acknowledgement that this isn’t working). The topic occasionally comes up at work. Seems like a non-starter with county-folks. In some ways, I don’t blame them. In other ways, I want to point out their short-sightedness. Long, long time before a “better together” gets real, serious traction.

Lived in the city before, and moved back – but it was a mistake. Schools, infrastructure, old housing stock – while gorgeous – requires an endless rehab budget. And of course, the crime. Amazing how humans adapt to their surroundings. The petty crime (car break-ins), and serious stuff – bank robberies happen just blocks from home all are ‘normal.’ What else can you do, right? I guess be happy that there aren’t shootings in neighborhood.

Sometimes swimming against the tide is just …. too hard. I think asking people to live in the city with kids asks too much. I know many will disagree and there was a time when I would’ve as well. But we have (1) child nearing high school age, with 2 others trailing right behind. Everyone in my neighborhood does private schools. The cost is overwhelming and we see friends / neighbors trickle out to the ‘burbs when the light finally comes on. We’re not far behind them.

One of the realizations of perception / “worst place to live” perspective hit me after we moved away. We lived in Indianapolis. Indy is a huge sink for corporate relocations (albeit smaller companies) from all over the eastern U.S. AND a landing spot for Chicago/Illinois escapees. Met many people that were sick, tired of Illinois problems and they picked-up and moved to Indy. Knew (2) couples like that in our Indy neighborhood. Never met anyone here that relocated from Chicago/IL to STL for a better lifestyle. That is pretty telling. Our city government should by lobbying businesses and people to relocate here – it (should be) such an easy sell. This is an area where the perception just kills STL.

This is painful to say, I love STL. It certainly could be a hidden gem. There are great people and amenities here – but they’re totally swamped by the negatives. If you could infuse an outsider perspective, and +10,000’s of new bodies – maybe this thing could be turned around. But it hasn’t happened and I can’t imagine the catalyst for change.
^I can't disagree with anything you're saying. It's just sad. It all seems too overwhelming right now. I do think a good first step would be bringing in the National Guard.

Screw it. Something bold has to be done right now.
On the other hand STL was just ranked best city in the country for college grads by Forbes. So which is it, the best city to live or the 4th worst city to live? My guess is somewhere in the middle.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45h ... ege-grads/

spreadsheetwizard wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:59 am
Now? This second go-around is different. If I had to bet on either a rebirth or collapse of STL – I’d bet on the collapse....
well, the surest way for the city to collapse is for everyone to give up and move away. you either care enough to stick around and work at it, or you don't and you leave. people have been choosing the latter for decades, and so here we are. i recently moved back too, and the thing i miss most about living elsewhere is being able to walk around safely at night. but i also realize that things will never change here unless people start giving a sh*t and get involved. granted i grew up here and i don't necessarily expect a transplant to feel the same connection, but i'm also sick of "progressives" b*tching about how f*cked up we are and then running off to places where they can all get together and pat themselves on the back over craft beer for being so progressive while not actually having to deal with any of the issues they b*tch about. (not saying that's you, but it's a thing.)
I don't trust any "city" rankings, good or bad, because the boundaries, city-to-city, are wildly different within the larger metro areas, and hence encircle wildly different living and business characteristics. I only trust metro area data, or zip code based data, where the boundaries are non-political, but are based on population factors. With city rankings, St. Louis often ranks very high or very low, because the item purported to be ranked is totally contaminated by the ranker's failure to normalize out the wildly varying boundary effects. It would be like ranking cities by total crime count without normalizing for per-ca pita. Are we really the most literate city? Or is the denominator just low due to small per cent of the metro. Is St. Louis city crime way worse than San Antonio, while St. Louis metro crime is way better than San Antonio? Or is it just ranked item boundary differences.

So, while looking for something else, I ran across this METRO AREA ranking for STEM jobs.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-me ... als/9200/#
Wow, what a depressing thread. I just fail to really see these problems in St. Louis. Although I currently live in New Jersey, I just really think it should be stressed that St Louis is NOT THAT BAD. Honest to god- IT IS NOT. THAT. BAD. The region is not on the brink of collapse. Are things looking down? I guess you could say so. Is crime high? Yes, but really only within the city limits. I again need to remind everyone, Baltimore and Chicago have shockingly higher murder rates than St Louis. Not saying that St Louis doesn't have a problem, but we certainly are not the worst. Important conversations are happening in St Louis. Things won't change overnight. We have numerous city leaders who GENUINELY want the city to succeed. Although she is getting quite a bit of bashing lately, I still believe Lyda Krewson will be good for our region. If you all would like to see a region "on the brink of collapse", I highly recommend you visit the State of New Jersey, Newark especially. The same can be said for New Orleans as well. I just get very frustrated with posters on here who do nothing but bash the hell out of St Louis, yet have never lived anywhere else to see that wow, St Louis actually isn't that bad. I close with this- St. Louis is struggling. However, the regions leaders know this. That's an important factor. They know there is a problem, and all of them are working tirelessly to fix it. The same cannot be said for Chicago or Baltimore.

Also to add, I don't think it's fair to compare St Louis to the following cities:
Nashville, Austin, Indianapolis, Columbus, Minneapolis or Denver.
They are not St Louis' peers, and are entirely different cities. I would highlight that St Louis' peers are Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.